Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Diff command file entries in different lines Post 302784945 by alister on Saturday 23rd of March 2013 05:17:51 PM
Old 03-23-2013
You're welcome.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff 2 files; output diff's to 3rd file

Hello, I want to compare two files. All records in file 2 that are not in file 1 should be output to file 3. For example: file 1 123 1234 123456 file 2 123 2345 23456 file 3 should have 2345 23456 I have looked at diff, bdiff, cmp, comm, diff3 without any luck! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum input file size in "Diff" Command

Hello, Can anyone let me know what is the maximum file size that can be given as input for the "Diff" Command in Unix? I have a file size as large as 28MB and which can also increase. Will I face any issues with such a file size. If yes, What is the other alternative. Thanks in advance for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neeraja
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff lines from 2 files in a while loop

Okie I have two files. file1 with input asdf_s45 fdsa_s20 jkl_s32 lkj_s3 and file2 with input asdf_s44 fdsa_s19 jkl_s31 lkj_s2 now I have counted the total number of lines in the file and put it in a variable so num_lines=4 now I have a while loop to repeat a diff command... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigboizvince
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed Command : Parse parameter file / send the lines to the ksh export command

Sorry for the duplicate thread this one is similar to the one in https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/88132-awk-sed-script-read-values-parameter-files.html#post302255121 Since there were no responses on the parent thread since it got resolved partially i thought to open the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the lines of diff files in loop

i have two file. i want to count the lines of each file one by one in loop and compare it. can any one pls help me on this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff Command to return the number of lines inserted,deleted and changed.

Hello, I have to compare two files file1 and file2, retrieve the number of lines modified (added, deleted or modified) in file2. Output must be like: File2: Added Deleted Changed Total ------ ------- -------- ----- 2 1 1 4 Somebody... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show entire lines with diff command

Hi, When I run the diff command using diff -yt file1 file2, I get the output in which original lines are truncated. I tried using -W switch with diff. However, that does not produce exact output as I want. Is it possible to show entire line of file1 and file2 in diff command's output? ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jal_capri
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in replacing two blank lines with two diff data

Hi.. I'm facing a trouble in replacing two blank lines in a file using shell script... I used sed to search a line and insert two blank lines after the searchd line using the following sed command. Sed "/data/{G;G;}/" filename. In the file, after data tag, two lines got inserted blank lines.. Now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in replacing two blank lines with two lines of diff data

Hi.. I'm facing a trouble in replacing two blank lines in a file using shell script... I used sed to search a line and insert two blank lines after the searchd line using the following sed command. sed "/data/{G;G;}/" filename . In the file, after data tag, two lines got inserted blank lines..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Git diff exclude swapped lines

Hi, I am doing aws security group auditing every day to find the difference. I am using git to find the difference. But some times some security group rules order is changing up and down(swapping lines). So 'git diff' command gives this as a difference which i dont want(i need only new lines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jobycxa
2 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -efbwr ] file1 ... file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If one file is a directory, then a file in that directory with basename the same as that of the other file is used. If both files are directories, similarly named files in the two directories are compared by the method of diff for text files and cmp(1) otherwise. If more than two file names are given, then each argument is compared to the last argument as above. The -r option causes diff to process similarly named subdirectories recursively. The normal output con- tains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -w option causes all white-space to be removed from input lines before applying the difference algorithm. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. It may, however, be useful as input to a stream-oriented post-processor. Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. FILES
/tmp/diff[12] SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/diff SEE ALSO
cmp(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is the empty string for no differences, for some, and for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. When running diff on directories, the notion of what is a text file is open to debate. DIFF(1)