Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file Post 302784911 by Yoda on Saturday 23rd of March 2013 01:51:23 PM
Old 03-23-2013
When shell encounters a redirection operator > the file will be truncated first (0 byte size) and then opened for writing, so after the redirection file is opened for writing, then shell starts test.awk process. This is the reason why you get a blank output file.

But in case of append >> the previous data is retained and then shell starts test.awk process. This is the reason why the data gets appended.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

text processing ( sed/awk)

hi.. I have a file having record on in 1 line.... I want every 400 characters in a new line... means in 1st line 1-400 in 2nd line - 401-800 etc pl help. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: clx
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script -text file processing NULL issues

I'm trying to strip any garbage that may be at the end of my text file and that part is working. The problem only seems to be with the really long lines in the file. When the head command is executed I am directing the output to a new file. The new file always get a null in the 4096 position but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: geauxsaints
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, perl Script for processing a single line text file

I need a script to process a huge single line text file: The sample of the text is: "forward_inline_item": "Inline", "options_region_Australia": "Australia", "server_event_err_msg": "There was an error attempting to save", "Token": "Yes", "family": "Family","pwd_login_tab": "Enter Your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hmsadiq
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 file processing script in C shell

I want to use an awk for the following scenario but not sure if it will work or not. I have two input file: F1 and F2 F1 02 05 08 F2 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk text processing

Hi Very much appreciate if somebody could give me a clue .. I undestand that it could be done with awk but have a limited experience. I have the following text in the file 1 909 YES NO 2 500 No NO . ... 1 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Processing in shell script

i have a file with following type of data abcd : gggggg gggggg ; 1234 gggggg ; 5678 gggggg ; 3434 gggggg ; 6565 gggggg ; 1231 1234 ; vvvv ;Eng=Myfirstname 5678 ; xyzf ;Eng=Mysecondname 3434 ; xyzf ;Eng=Mythirdname 6565 ; xyzf ;Eng=Mysfourthname 1231 ; xyzf ;Eng=Mysfifthname... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: telangmadhuri
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Remove spaces before processing each line?

Hi, all I have a file containing the following data: name: PRODUCT_1 date: 2010-01-07 really_long_name: PRODUCT_ABCDEFG I want to get the date (it is "2010-01-07" here), I could use the following code to do that: awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text processing using awk

I dispose of two tab-delimited files (the first column is the primary key): File 1 (there are multiple rows sharing the same key, I cannot merge them) A 28,29,30,31 A 17,18,19 B 11,13,14,15 B 8,9File 2 (there is one only row beginning with a given key) A 2,8,18,30,31 B ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovah
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text columns processing using awk

P { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }CODE.cjk { font-family: "WenQuanYi Micro Hei",monospace; }CODE.ctl { font-family: "Lohit Hindi",monospace; }A:link { } I'm trying to build an awk statement to print from a file (file1): A 1,2,3 * A 4,5,6 ** B 1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovah
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for text processing

Hi,my file is in this format ", \"symbol\": \"Rbm38\" } ]" I want to convert it to a more user readable format _id pubmed text symbol 67196 18667844 Overexpression of UBE2T in NIH3T3 cells significantly promoted colony formation in mouse cell cultures Ube2t 56190 21764855 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: biofreek
3 Replies
CUT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - select out columns of a file SYNOPSIS
cut [ -b | -c] list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [ -s] OPTIONS
-b Cut specified bytes -c Select out specific characters -d Change the column delimiter to delim -f Select out specific fields that are separated by the -i Runs of delimiters count as one -s Suppres lines with no delimiter characters, when used EXAMPLES
cut -f 2 file # Extract field 2 cut -c 1-2,5 file # Extract character columns 1, 2, and 5 cut -c 1-5,7- file # Extract all columns except 6 DESCRIPTION
[file...]" delimiter character ( see delim)" with the -f option. Lines with no delimiters are passwd through untouched" Cut extracts one or more fields or columns from a file and writes them on standard output. If the -f flag is used, the fields are sepa- rated by a delimiter character, normally a tab, but can be changed using the -d flag. If the -c flag is used, specific columns can be specified. The list can be comma or BLANK separated. The -f and -c flags are mutually exclusive. Note: The POSIX1003.2 standard requires the option -b to cut out specific bytes in a file. It is intended for systems with multi byte characters (e.g. kanji), since MINIX uses only one byte characters, this option is equivalent to -c. For the same reason, the option -n has no effect and is not listed in this man- ual page. SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(9). CUT(1)