Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to capture exit code of child script and send it to parent script? Post 302784637 by DGPickett on Friday 22nd of March 2013 03:44:12 PM
Old 03-22-2013
Simple:
Code:
command_1 &
pid1=$!
command_2 &
pid2=$!
wait $pid1
echo command_1 returned $?
wait $pid2
echo command_2 returned $?

When you run commands interactively, the shell waits on the child unless you say &, and then you must wait later. Fancier code knows that when a child dies, SIGCHLD is sent to the parent and can be caught and processed in a signal handler. Some C wait*() calls allow you to wait for whichever child is next and get the pid and return code and status (exit, stop, start, etc.). In scripting, you do not need that, you spin off the parallel children and then wait for all of them to finish, order not important, just a simple bottleneck.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

return valuse from child script to parent script

Hi, I am trying to return a value from child script to a parent script just as a function does. The child script will look for a file and if exists will return 1 else 0. I need to capture the status 1 from child script in the parent script and proceed further. if 0, i need not do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parent/child Korn shell script help

I have the following two Korn shell scripts: SHELL1.ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh nohup sas /abc/123/sasprogram1.sas & SHELL2.ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh ./SHELL1.ksh wait nohup sas /abc/123/sasprogram2.sas & My goal is to run SHELL1.ksh within SHELL2.ksh. SHELL1.ksh runs sasprogram1.sas. I would like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sasaliasim
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script, child kills parent

Hello everyone, I'm trying to write a script, i would like to say the child kills the parent, how would i do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessy21
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parent Script exiting with child script

PARENT SCRIPT #!/bin/ksh # . $HOME/.profile . /etl/estdm2/DEV/scripts/DM_ENV_VARS.ksh DEV DB echo "CALLING CHILD SCRIPT" . /${SCRIPT_DIR}/DM_CHild.ksh -x HRDATA.dat -e $sEnv -d Wait_Time *****THE PARENT SCRIPT EXITS HERE ******** *****whether the file is found or not******* ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop child script by stoping parent script

Hi everyone, I have this problem with a script I'm writting. I want to execute a code running in the background several times through a script. I am writting it like that parent_script for a in 1 2 3 4 5 do exec test -n $a done What I want to do is when parent_script is killed,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: geovas
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send correct exit code from child script back to parent

Hello all; hope someone can help me cause I am going crazy trying to find a solution for (what I think is simple) issue...looked hard up and down this forum and tried several "solutions" with no avail...so here's my issue: I have this (parent) script: copylsofdcmcadefttosftpwithmove.sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Child exiting and not returning to parent script

I am having a parent scripts which reads a file with child scripts name. I need to read one by one child script , execute it and 1. If child script fails send mail to the team with the log file 2. If the child script executes fine then proceed with the next child script execution. #!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nw2unx123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture the exit code of a shell script in a perl script.?

hi, i want to pop up an alert box using perl script. my requirement is. i am using a html page which calls a perl script. this perl script calls a shell script.. after the shell script ends its execution, i am using exit 0 to terminate the shell script successfully and exit 1 to terminate the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exit from the parent script while the child is running?

hi, i want to call a child shell script from a parent shell script. the child will be running for 5 mins. normally when the child is running, parent will wait till the child completes. so in the above case parent will be paused for 5 mins. is there a way so that the parents does not wait for the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fail Parent Script if any of the child fails

I have requirement where I need to fail parent if any one of the child process fails. Here is the code snippet for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do child_script $i & done wait I need to fail my main script if any one of my child process fails (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkumar25
8 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)