Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disable snmpd for good
Operating Systems AIX Disable snmpd for good Post 302784515 by Janpol on Friday 22nd of March 2013 11:33:24 AM
Old 03-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFelt
# /usr/sbin/chrctcp -S -d snmpd

However, if you are hardening AIX, a much easier way is to use aix security expert - aixpert.
# aixpert -l h probably does more than you want.
# aixpert -l m is a good basic starting point.
I've run chrctcp, and customized the high level security profile and applied it. In fact, I've noticed that the snmpd service was running because I'm using Real time Compliance, to check that my configurations in the AIXpert profile are in place. My only guess is that I'm running a process/service that starts the snmpd service.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

snmpd daemon error

Good day I always find these error messages on /var/adm/messages it appear every 15 mn , does any body know how to stop these messages without stopping the daemon , i tried to restart the daemon by uising Kill -HUP 332 please find below the error messages that appear always in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itsgeorge
1 Replies

2. AIX

snmpd modification problem

Hi Gurus, I am relatively new in AIX. I have a problem in modifying the community string in snmpd. I have edited the /etc/snmpd.conf file and changed the default community name 'public' to new one (P@@$w0rd). When I tried to query my aix server with the new string , it is not giving any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: helloajith
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mrtg+snmpd count traffic

i just wonder how to count total traffic and traffic on specified ports (e.g. 192.168.0.1:139 and etc.. ). How can it be done? (FreeBSD 6.2 i386) Thx. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hachik
5 Replies

4. Linux

Snmpd

Hello to all. For setting my MRTG i want get snmp-info with LAN interface eth0 but information about snmpd daemon very small :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
0 Replies

5. Solaris

snmpd manager question

Solaris 8 I have a question about snmpd. My software is running on one box. This box has 2 snmp managers. Is it possible to configure snmpd on my software box such that only one of the managers can perform snmpsets? I want my *redundant* snmp manager only to be able receive traps and do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jalburger
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

SNMPD: need a little help.

Hi there all, I am running here an HP UX 11i v1. I got snmpd running here now. But how do I configure it so it also shows the HD's and swap and RAM's? So I can get the info back to Solarwinds Orion? All I get now is network card status. I want as many info as posible.. Thanx and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: draco
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable Enable/Disable Tab Key

Hi All, I have bash script, so what is sintax script in bash for Enable and Disable Tab Key. Thanks for your help.:( Thanks, Rico (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carnegiex
1 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

AIX - snmpd version

Hi, I have a P595 server with AIX 5.3 and i need to know what version of snmpd i use on this: Example: On solaris i use Net-snmpd 5.4.2.1 (netsnmp-5.4.2.1-sol9-sparc-local) because i can see the package. How can i see what snmpd package is installed on the AIX? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anonymouzz
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

SSL/TLS renegotiation DoS -how to disable? Is it advisable to disable?

Hi all Expertise, I have following issue to solve, SSL / TLS Renegotiation DoS (low) 222.225.12.13 Ease of Exploitation Moderate Port 443/tcp Family Miscellaneous Following is the problem description:------------------ Description The remote service encrypts traffic using TLS / SSL and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Snmpd dying on centos7.1

Hello All, SNMPD dying after 2 mins once it started. Here is the configuration Oct 12 04:43:00 localhost systemd: Starting Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Daemon.... Oct 12 04:43:00 localhost snmpd: dlopen failed: /usr/lib64/libcmaX64.so: cannot open shared object file: No such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekar777
1 Replies
snmpsetup(8n)															     snmpsetup(8n)

Name
       snmpsetup - set up the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Agent

Syntax
       /usr/etc/snmpsetup

Description
       The command is an interactive facility for configuring the ULTRIX SNMP Agent.  When your system is configured as an SNMP Agent certain net-
       work parameters can be monitored or managed by a Network Management Station (NMS).

The command also allows you to configure Extended ULTRIX SNMP Agents.  Extended Agents are user-defined daemons that allow you  to  specify
       private network parameters to be monitored or managed by the NMS.

Before  you  invoke  the network must be up and running, your host must have a name, and you must know the Internet Protocol address of any
       NMSs that you want to have monitor or manage your system.

You can run while in multiuser mode, but you must be root or superuser.

To invoke

# snmpsetup

Diagnostics
       The following error messages are issued by

snmpsetup must be run by root
       snmpsetup: need /etc/rc
       snmpsetup: need /etc/snmpd.conf
       snmpsetup: non-interactive mode not currently supported
       snmpsetup: network must be setup before running snmpsetup
       snmpsetup: terminated with no installations made

Files
       SNMP configuration file