Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How To Use sed To Remove Text Between '/*'? Post 302783675 by Korn0474 on Wednesday 20th of March 2013 07:55:17 PM
Old 03-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
The following will work with the data sample you provided. However, it will not work with comments that span multiple lines. If you need something more complicated, you might want to look into using a tool that's familiar with the language in question.
Code:
sed 's|/\*[^*]*\*/||g'

Regards,
Alister
Alister, you're amazing. Smilie

Can you do me one more favor and explain the syntax to me so I'll know for next time?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to remove html tags including text between them

How to use sed to remove html tags including text between them? Example: User <b> rolvak </b> is stupid. It does not using <b>OOP</b>! and should output: User is stupid. It does not using ! Thank you.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphagon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text from a csv file using sed

I am trying to remove the ita from this file: "1234ita","john","smith" "56789ita","jim","thomas" the command i am using is: sed '/^ita/d' infile.csv > outfile.csv it is running but doing nothing, very rarely use sed so trying to learn it any help would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove 1st two characters every line of text file

what is the sed command to remove the first two characters of every line of a text file? each line of the text file has the same amount of characters, and they are ALL NUMERIC. there are hundreds of lines though. for example, >cat file1.txt 10081551 10081599 10082234 10082259 20081134... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
20 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk script to remove text / or perform calculations from large CSV files

I have a large CSV files (e.g. 2 million records) and am hoping to do one of two things. I have been trying to use awk and sed but am a newbie and can't figure out how to get it to work. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated - I'm stuck trying to remove the colon and wildcards in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: metronomadic
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text from n position to n position sed/awk

I want to remove text from nth position to nth position couple of times in same line my line is "hello is there anyone can help me with this question" I need like this ello is there anyone can help me with question 'h' is removed and 'this' removed from the line. I want to do this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove partial text in one line only

I have test.xml XML file like <Report account="123456" start_time="2014-09-08T00:00:00+00:00" end_time="2014-09-10T23:59:59+00:00" user="Dollar Tree" limit="1000000" more_sessions="some text "> <Session ......rest of xml............... I need output like <Report> <Session ......rest of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumars1331@gmai
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text with sed or anything?

Hi there, my first post, so you might find my noobness ;) I need help to fix a thing, find /mnt/fs01/gfx/ -iname "*.rar" > gfx.txt Gives this contained textfile: /mnt/fs01/gfx/toba/toba.rar /mnt/fs01/gfx/zeta/zimba.rar /mnt/fs01/gfx/brashe/getha.rar And now the tricky part (for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yabbah
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove text from file

Trying to use sed to, in-place, remove specific text from a file. Since there are / in the text I use | to escape that character. Thank you :). sed -i -e 's|xxxx://www.xxx.com/xx/xx/xxx/.*/|' /home/cmccabe/list sed: -e expression #1, char 51: unterminated `s' command (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove bracket including text inside with sed

Hello, I could not remove brackets with text contents myfile: Please remove the bracket with text I wish to remove: I tried: sed 's/\//' myfile It gives: Please remove the bracket with text A1 I expect: Please remove the bracket with text Many thanks Boris (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
OHCOUNT(1)							   User Commands							OHCOUNT(1)

NAME
ohcount - manual page for ohcount 3.0.0 SYNOPSIS
ohcount [option] [paths...] DESCRIPTION
Ohloh source code line counter command line tool. http://www.ohloh.net/ [option] can be one of the following: -a, --annotate -d, --detect -h, --help -i, --individual -l, --license -re -s, --summary -a, --annotate Show annotated source code The contents of all source code files found within the given paths will be emitted to stdout. Each line will be prefixed with a tab-delimited language name and semantic categorization (code, comment, or blank). -d, --detect Find source code files Recursively find all source code files within the given paths. For each source code file found, the file name will be emitted to stdout prefixed with a tab-delimited language name. -h, --help Display this message -i, --individual Count lines of code per file Count lines in all source code files within the given paths, and emit a report of the lines of code, comments, and blanks in each language per file. -l, --license Displays detected licensing information contained in each source code file. -re Prints raw entity information to the screen (mainly for debugging). -s, --summary Count lines of code (default) Count lines in all source code files within the given paths, and emit a report of the total number of lines of code, comments, and blanks in each language. This is the default action. [paths] can refer to any number of individual files or directories. Directories will be probed recursively. If no path is given, the current directory will be used. ohcount 3.0.0 September 2011 OHCOUNT(1)