Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep and cat combined
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep and cat combined Post 302783191 by panyam on Wednesday 20th of March 2013 05:58:36 AM
Old 03-20-2013
What output did you get from the above?

Are you getting any error?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep command with combined variables in Ksh

Hi, I'd like to grep two variables that are seperated with one space in ksh. var1="Feb" var2="09" I tried to grep "$var1 ""$var2" /usr/file It turn into grep Feb 09 /usr/file when it runs. I got error. Can some one help me with this one? Thanks a lot for your help! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cin2000
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat and grep not working

I am trying to cat a file and then grep that file for a number. I can do it fine on other files but this particular file will not do anything. I tried running it on an older file from the same device but it is just not working. The file is nothing more than a flat file on a unix box. Here is just a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jphess
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat, grep and tee to a local file

Hi, This is what I am trying to do. 1) connect to 3 remote servers from my local machine serverA serverB serverC 2) read error file from each server cat /var/lib/mysql/mydb.err 3) grep for lines displaying "yesterday" date grep "`date +%y%m%d' '-d\"1 day ago\"`" 4) Append those lines to a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat /etc/passwd and grep -v on /etc/shells

Hi All, I'd like to do this cat /etc/passwd and grep -v on the /etc/shells list I'd like to find all shell that doesn't exist on the /etc/passwd. Is there an easy way without doing a egrep -v "/bin/sh|/bin/bash................"? How do I use a file /etc/shells as my list for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat -n and grep

I am not sure if using cat -n is the most efficient way to split a file into multiple files, one file per line in the source file. I thought using cat -n would make it easy to process the file because it produces an output that numbers each line that I could then grep for with the regex "^ *$i".... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep or cat using sed

Is there a way using grep or cat a file to create a new file based on whether the first 9 positions of each record is less than 399999999? This is a fixed file format. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ski
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace cat and grep with <

Hello someone told me to use OS=`awk '{print int($3)}' < /etc/redhat-release` instead of OS=cat /etc/redhat-release | `awk '{print int($3)}'` any idea for the reason ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incredibly inefficient cat | grep script

Hi there, I have 2 files that I am trying to work on. File 1 contains a reference list of unique subscriber numbers ( 7 million entries in total) File 2 contains a list of the subscriber numbers and their tariff (15 million entries in total). This file is in the production system and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep or cat The Whole Directory PROBLEMS :(

Hi Guys This is my first post so I am not sure how things go here. I'm sorry if I'm breaking the rule or something. Feel free to correct me about that :) So as I was saying... I'd been trying to grep this folder containing 900,000 txt files but seems no luck. I get either "No such file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spacing off when files combined using awk or cat

I have 133 .txt files in a directory that I am combining into 1 file. The problem is when I use awk or cat to combine the files I get out put like this: output 85 138662360 KCNT1 86 138662962 KCNT1 82 138657053 KCNT1 83 138657635 KCNT1 95 138646881 KCNT1... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies
XCreateOC(3)							  XLIB FUNCTIONS						      XCreateOC(3)

NAME
XCreateOC, XDestroyOC, XSetOCValues, XGetOCValues, XOMOfOC - create output contexts SYNTAX
XOC XCreateOC(XOM om); void XDestroyOC(XOC oc); char * XSetOCValues(XOC oc, ...); char * XGetOCValues(XOC oc, ...); XOM XOMOfOC(XOC oc); ARGUMENTS
oc Specifies the output context. om Specifies the output method. ... Specifies the variable length argument list to set or get XOC values. DESCRIPTION
The XCreateOC function creates an output context within the specified output method. The base font names argument is mandatory at creation time, and the output context will not be created unless it is provided. All other output context values can be set later. XCreateOC returns NULL if no output context could be created. NULL can be returned for any of the following reasons: o A required argument was not set. o A read-only argument was set. o An argument name is not recognized. o The output method encountered an output method implementation-dependent error. The XDestroyOC function destroys the specified output context. The XSetOCValues function returns NULL if no error occurred; otherwise, it returns the name of the first argument that could not be set. An argument might not be set for any of the following reasons: o The argument is read-only. o The argument name is not recognized. o An implementation-dependent error occurs. Each value to be set must be an appropriate datum, matching the data type imposed by the semantics of the argument. The XGetOCValues function returns NULL if no error occurred; otherwise, it returns the name of the first argument that could not be obtained. An argument might not be obtained for any of the following reasons: o The argument name is not recognized. o An implementation-dependent error occurs. Each argument value following a name must point to a location where the value is to be stored. The XOMOfOC function returns the output method associated with the specified output context. SEE ALSO
XCreateOM(3), XCreateFontSet(3) Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libX11 1.6.0 XCreateOC(3)