Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX VIOS IVM Ethernet problem Post 302782125 by rbatte1 on Monday 18th of March 2013 09:49:25 AM
Old 03-18-2013
So, I'm assuming that VIO/IVM is installed and owns all the hardware and the other partitions a guests rather than hardware partitions. That's what I have too.

There may be an issue with running an IVM based on AIX 6 with guests of AIX 7. Are you able to get to the shell prompt?

Code:
telnet (IVM001)

IBM Virtual I/O Server

login: padmin
padmin's Password: 
Last unsuccessful login: Mon Jan  7 16:18:07 GMT 2013 on /dev/pts/1 from 192.168.20.30
Last login: Mon Mar  4 14:06:44 GMT 2013 on /dev/pts/0 from 192.168.20.30

$ ioslevel
2.1.3.10-FP23
$ oem_setup_env
# oslevel
# exit
$

you would be best checking with IBM about supported configurations. It may be that you need to upgrade the IVM first, which might have an impact on you running AIX 6.1 partition. At the least, it will reboot, but I would be more concerned about any co-requisite updates your partition will need.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Network performance problem between AIX and SUN ethernet gigabit

I am posting this as an FYI. I burned a lot of time on digging for this solution. The problem was performance between newer AIX p series boxes and a sun 4500 with a fiber nic. I tried many misc. solutions but this turned out to fix the issue. My bandwidth benchmark went from around 20MB/sec to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuckw
1 Replies

2. AIX

AIX virtualization: IVM initial network setup

I have a system model 505 p server. I am trying to virtualize my server. My network admin has given me 10 IP addresses (with the DNS already updated with names that map onto each ip). E.g.: IP1 maps to m1.lab, IP2 maps to m2.lab, etc I have been following the redpaper "Integrated Virtualization... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsaix
0 Replies

3. AIX

AIX, VIOS and DS4800 SAN

Hello I have a system with four AIX 5L V5.3 partitions and a Virtual I/O server, connected to a a DS4800 storage array. Now the company bought another DS4800... i made raid on it... and now i wanna give LUN's to the VIOS, so i can use in one of AIX partitions... Someone can help me? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfca
5 Replies

4. AIX

IVM Storage Virtual disk problem

Hi, When I try to create a virtual disk in IVM ( integrated Virtual Machine VIO ) I get this message Problems occurred while processing the data. A summary of all problems for this page are listed below. Additional details for each problem may be located next to the field causing the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

5. AIX

VIOS IVM unavailable - how do I restart it?

Hi everyone, Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I searched the forums for "IVM" and it turned up no results. Hopefully someone knows about this. My dilemma is that I have multiple IBM JS12 Express blades in our blade center, each running VIOS 2.1.0.10-FP-20.1 and hosting a couple LPARs. Out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: need2bageek
2 Replies

6. AIX

IBM VIOS POWERVM IVM error

Hi, When I try to login on my vios ivm website http://vios through the browser -- all three of them -- firefox , chrome , Internet Explorer , i get this error http://vioserver/j_security_check I have java installed on the machine from where i am trying to open up the IVM/VIOS webpage. I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. AIX

CD-ROM issue with PowerVM IVM VIOS

I am facing problems in moving CD-ROM from one lpar to another. CDROM can be seen on the POWERVM (IVM) server , but through the web-access if I move it ( assign it ) to LPAR it will be assigned. I run cfgmgr , and the cdrom does not show up in the LPAR. I firmly believe this is the reason why I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. AIX

AIX problem with IVM lparUtil.log

Hello, I have a problem to list my active partitions with PowerVM IVM, Vios has an error message , can't open lparUtil.log , the df command tells us that /dev/hd9var is 100% used, laprUtil.log file is 0 Ko !! i don't know what i can delete to free space, the file is locked , i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waste
2 Replies

9. AIX

Powervm ivm vios

Hello, After installing on P6 which is POWERVM IVM VIOS enabled (VET CODE D21C77ACD9229817CA1F00002C10004164 ) i get this message "I/O hosting requires a hosting partition - boot not permitted". HMC was connected to the machine then HMC was removed through ASMI Searching on... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. AIX

VIOS requirement for FC and ethernet

Hello, I have some unclear about how VIOS uses its resources. Assume that VIOS lpar has only 1 physical FC, and we use that to connect to the Lun. Then we install VIOS for the lpar on that Lun. So my question is, afterward, we can still use that physical FC for the virtual FC we create... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phat
3 Replies
reboot(1M)																reboot(1M)

NAME
reboot - reboot the system SYNOPSIS
time] message] time] message] DESCRIPTION
The command terminates all currently executing processes except those essential to the system, then reboots the system, or halts, or makes the partition ready for reconfiguration. When invoked without arguments, syncs all disks before rebooting the system. Options The command recognizes the following options: Shut down the system and halt. Shut down the system and reboot automatically (default). Shut down the system to a ready-to-reconfigure state and reboot if possible. If the partition is unable to reboot, it will stop at a ready-to-reconfigure state. However, if the option is also specified, the system will always stop at ready-to-reconfigure state. This option is available only on systems that support hardware partitions. Shut down the system to a ready-to-reconfigure state and do not reboot. This option can be used only in combination with the option. This option is available only on systems that support hardware partitions. Do not sync the file systems before shutdown. The and options are ignored with this option. Sync the file systems before shutdown; for file systems that were cleanly mounted, modify the flag from to (default). Quick and quiet. Suppress broadcast of warning messages, terminate processes by brute force (with and immediately call with arguments as indicated by the other options (see reboot(2)). No logging is performed. The and options are ignored with this option. Specify what time will bring the system down. time can be the word (indicating immediate shutdown) or a future time in one of two for- mats: and The first form brings the system down in number minutes; the second brings the system down at the time of day indicated (based on a 24-hour clock). Display message at the terminals of all users on the system at decreasing intervals as reboot time approaches. The message must not contain any embedded double quotes. At shutdown time a message is written in the file (if it exists), containing the time of shutdown, who ran and the reason. Only users with appropriate privileges can execute the command. WARNINGS
does not invoke the shutdown scripts associated with subsystems to bring them down in a cautious manner. See shutdown(1M). If the option is used in a virtual partition environment on a partitionable system, then the requested reconfiguration will not take place until all the virtual partitions on that hard partition are shut down and the virtual partition monitor is rebooted. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
Shutdown log SEE ALSO
vpartition(1), reboot(2), partition(5). reboot(1M)