Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory New disc drive - access problem Post 302781365 by keith.macdonald on Saturday 16th of March 2013 09:42:00 AM
Old 03-16-2013
New disc drive - access problem

Hi

I've added a second hard drive to my computer. I had no problem using GParted to partition and format it as an ext4 partition, and it's visible as an extra device. But when I try to read from the drive, I get "Folder contents could not be displayed, You do not have permission". When I right-click on the device properties, I can see the owner is root, not my username. How do I give myself permission to access the drive?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

how to access a windows shared drive from HPUX?

Dear Unix Gurus, I am very very new to UNIX. Apreciate your advice/guidence on the following. I have a HPUX machine and i want to copy some files from this machines to a windows shared drive. I am not sure how to go about it. To my little knowledge i think it is not straight... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicky88
5 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

MO disc stuck in drive, Help!

Im a newbie at unix and need some help with my MO disc, which is stuck in the MO drive. I cant get it out. I have tried several commands but nothing works, so if there is some fullproof way to get it out i would be thankful if someone could tell me! /O (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Olink
1 Replies

3. AIX

Problem with a SSA drive

I've a problem with an IBM StorageWorks - Seagate SSA drive, model ST373453LC (IBM P/N 24P3733, Type S53D073, 72,8 GB 15K - USCSI 4 - 320 SSA). I bought this disk used but working; it came from an unknown IBM SSA storage array. I've removed the SCA - SSA adapter (IBM 18P3051 - 001 - R0) and i tried... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linolinux
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

tape drive access/backup

Need assistance: Have HP Visualize C3600 workstation, HP-UX 10.20, and HP C6364A 12GB DDS-3 SCSI DAT drive. I am not a UNIX programmer and did not configure/build workstation. Ran ioscan and shows up as HPC1537A, class tape, and 10/0/15/0.2.0. Switch on back of unit is denoted SCSI ID and is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: davel1000
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Ultra 10 - Copying Files From Disc After Booting Up With Recovery Disc?

Hello, I'm still learning unix and I have what is probably a simple question but I can't seem to find the question to. I have an Ultra 10 Sparc Server running solaris 8 and the drive may have crashed (I hope not). Currently, it appears some files in the /etc folder are missing. I have a backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ideffects
1 Replies

6. AIX

Tape Drive Problem.

Dear all, I have ultriam3 tape. It is connected my LPAR. I have that the Sl.Nos. and slot number. but run the cfmgr i am not getting the tape drive. I have fired the command lsdev -Cc tape but no reply. how will i configure the tape in LPAR? Please suggest. It is very urgent. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
3 Replies

7. SCO

how to access data in a pen drive in sco openserver 6

Does anybody know the commands to access the data from a pen drive in a SCO Openserver 6. What are the parameters to the mount command for accessing the USB port:confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jksah
9 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

How to access a NTFS partition on hard drive through Terminal in OSX ?

Hi , I have a Mac OS X Lion mac book pro. I have a hard drive which I have partitioned in two (a) OSX Partition - Mac OS Extended Journaled format. Mount point: / (b) Data Partition - Windows NT Filesystem format. Mount point: /Volumes/Data I need to access the NTFS partition (I have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
6 Replies

9. AIX

Install AIX lpar via hmc, can't access cd drive

Hi , I would like to access the cd drive of , i have power series server , and have lpars . I try to install AIX in an lpar via HMC, but it can't access the cd drive. how i can make installtion or make the the cd drive accessible in hmc or in power series server? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Cannot access or boot encrypted drive (gave up waiting for root device...)

I cannot access or boot from my C drive. I'm running Zorin 9 and the drive is a Samsung SSD. The disk was encrypted on install, and that has not given me any problems before. When I start the system it gets to the memory test page, and does not then load the password prompt, which it used to.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: David4321
1 Replies
WREN(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   WREN(3)

NAME
wren, ata - hard disk interface SYNOPSIS
bind #H[drive] /dev bind #w[target[.lun]] /dev /dev/hd0disk /dev/hd0partition /dev/sd0disk /dev/sd0partition ... DESCRIPTION
The hard disk interfaces (wren, #w, is a SCSI disk; ata, #H, is an IDE or ATA disk) serve a one-level directory giving access to the hard disk partitions. The parameter to attach defines the numerical SCSI target and logical unit number or the IDE drive number to access. Both default to zero. Each partition name is prefixed by hd and the numeric drive identifier. The partition always exists and covers the entire disk. The size of each partition as reported by stat(2) is the number of bytes in the partition, so the size of is the size of the entire disk. The partition also always exists; it is the last block on the disk for SCSI, second to last for IDE. If it contains valid partition data, those partitions will be visible as well. Every time the device is bound, the partitions are updated to reflect any changes in the parti- tion file. The format of the partition file is the string plan9 partitions on a line, followed by partition specifications, one per line, consisting of a name and textual strings for the block start and limit for each partition on the disk. The program prep(8) writes the partition table for the disk; its use is preferred to writing it by hand. SEE ALSO
prep(8), scsi(3) SOURCE
/sys/src/9/port/devwren.c /sys/src/9/pc/devata.c WREN(3)