Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing a single line with multiple lines in a file Post 302778411 by anbu23 on Monday 11th of March 2013 01:22:51 AM
Old 03-11-2013
Code:
string1="Hi, How are you?"
echo "$string1 is the value"
replace1="Am fine\\
What are you doing?"
echo "$replace1 is the value"
cat file | sed -e "s/$string1/$replace1/g" > file_new

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a single line into multiple lines

I have a case where, I need to look into a file. Go to each line of the file, find the length of the line, if the length of the line is more than 75 chars, I need to split the line into multiple lines of 75chars max. If the length of the line is less than 75, we need not do anything. So at the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing multiple lines with single line

Can any one give me the idea on replacing multiple blank lines with a single blank line? Please conside it for a file having more than 100 number of characters. Regards, Siba (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines into a single line

Hi, I've some files with the following data and i need to convert the lines between the separator ---, into a single line. I've tried with the paste cmd but my main problem is that the number of lines between the separator is not fix, it can very between 1-4 lines. Input --- 2010-02-22... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickyC9999
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines into a single line on Ubuntu 10.04

Hi, I've some files with the following data and i need to convert the lines between the separator ---, into a single line. I've tried with the paste cmd but my main problem is that the number of lines between the separator is not fix, it can vary between 1-4 lines. Input --- 2010-02-22... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickyC9999
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing 2 lines by single line

Hi I have a file with below content : a b S I need to replace the lines which have a and b continuously by d. d S I have used the below code tr '\n' '#'<file|sed. 's/a#b/d/g's?|tr '#' '\n' where # is not occurring anywhere in the file.. Is there any other efficient way to do this? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple lines into single line

Hi All , I have a file with below data # User@Host: xyz @ # Query_time: t1 Lock_time: t2 Rows_sent: n1 Rows_examined: n2 SET timestamp=1396852200; select count(1) from table; # Time: 140406 23:30:01 # User@Host: abc @ # Query_time: t1 Lock_time: t2 Rows_sent: n1 Rows_examined:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_411
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coverting multiple lines to a single line

Hi all, I have a requirement to covert multiple lines in a comma delimited file to a single line through shell scripting. We should compare the data in the first column in each line. If it is same, then the other data should be put in the same line.Below is the sample input and expected output:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bobby_2000
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiple lines to single line

I have code as below # create temporary table `temp4277`(key(waybill_no)) select waybill_no,concat_ws('',card_type,card_series_no) cardinfo from rfid_temp_ticket where waybill_no='4277' group by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
4 Replies
scroll(3NCURSES)														  scroll(3NCURSES)

NAME
scroll, scrl, wscrl - scroll a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int scroll(WINDOW *win); int scrl(int n); int wscrl(WINDOW *win, int n); DESCRIPTION
The scroll routine scrolls the window up one line. This involves moving the lines in the window data structure. As an optimization, if the scrolling region of the window is the entire screen, the physical screen may be scrolled at the same time. For positive n, the scrl and wscrl routines scroll the window up n lines (line i+n becomes i); otherwise scroll the window down n lines. This involves moving the lines in the window character image structure. The current cursor position is not changed. For these functions to work, scrolling must be enabled via scrollok. RETURN VALUE
These routines return ERR upon failure, and OK (SVr4 only specifies "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful completion. X/Open defines no error conditions. This implementation returns an error if the window pointer is null, or if scrolling is not enabled in the window, e.g., with scrollok. NOTES
Note that scrl and scroll may be macros. The SVr4 documentation says that the optimization of physically scrolling immediately if the scroll region is the entire screen "is" per- formed, not "may be" performed. This implementation deliberately does not guarantee that this will occur, to leave open the possibility of smarter optimization of multiple scroll actions on the next update. Neither the SVr4 nor the XSI documentation specify whether the current attribute or current color-pair of blanks generated by the scroll function is zeroed. Under this implementation it is. PORTABILITY
The XSI Curses standard, Issue 4 describes these functions. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), outopts(3NCURSES) scroll(3NCURSES)