Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lock file creates with '?'
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Lock file creates with '?' Post 302777869 by sandy162 on Friday 8th of March 2013 01:50:37 PM
Old 03-08-2013
thanks for reply. I have used Notepad++ editor. It does support shell scripting.
Which is the best editor for Shell Scripting?

Both of you are right , there are carriage returns in my scripts. I have removed them and it worked. Thanks for help.

Last edited by sandy162; 03-08-2013 at 03:02 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Security Question: Lock after invalid login, Session Lock and Required Minimum Password Length

Hello all, If anyone has time, I have a few questions: How do I do the following in Linux. We are using Red Hat and Oracle Enterprise Linux, which is based on Red Hat too. 1. How to lock the account after a few (like 3) invalid password attempts? 2. How do you lock a screen after 30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nstarz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed in script creates output file ending with '?' (^M)

Hi, I'm trying to use sed within a shell script (bash, running ubuntu). The command works fine from the command line, but when I use it within the script, rather than creating a file with the name I've specified, it creates one that ends with a question mark '?' when you use ls, e.g.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennykay
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script sometimes creates an empty file

I have a script that runs ditto for me, and occasionally (if I exit the script while ditto is running in the background) it will leave an empty file named 0 in the script's directory. The next time I run the script, it generates incorrect data because of this file. I know I can easily insert a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reid
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script sometimes creates an empty file

I have a script that runs ditto for me, and occasionally (if I exit the script while ditto is running in the background) it will leave an empty file named 0 in the script's directory. The next time I run the script, it generates incorrect data because of this file. I know I can easily insert a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reid
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Testing privileges -lock lockfile /var/lock/subsys/..- Permission denied

Hi all, I have to test some user priviliges. The goal is to be sure that an unauthorized user can't restart some modules (ssh, mysql etc...). I'm trying to automate it with a shell script but in same cases I got the syslog broadcast message. Is there any way to simply get a return code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirection creates empty file

I'm using a script that does some modifications to data on disc and updates the database. The script (perl) uses STDOUT so the results are printed to the screen. I don't have permissions to modify the script. I want to capture the results in a file so I can see if errors occurred and also keep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: surib
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a script that creates a 1GB file with zeros using dd

I am new to Linux. Using latest version of Ubuntu. I want to make a script that creates a 1GB file filled with zeros using dd and then formats the file as vfat with a label of "MYFILE". If anyone can help me it would be appreciated. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paviter619
9 Replies

8. Red Hat

Script creates additional file

Hi, I have created a test script like this : # cat script1.sh DAY=$(date +%d) MONTH=$(date +%b) YEAR=$(date +%Y) BC01="Blast_BC01" BC15="Blast_BC15" DIR1="$MONTH$YEAR_$BC01" DIR2="$MONTH$YEAR_$BC07" DIR3="$MONTH$YEAR_$BC15" if ;then mkdir -p "$YEAR/$DIR3" fi # When I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a script that creates a 1GB file with zeros using dd

I am new to Linux. Using latest version of Ubuntu. I want to make a script that creates a 1GB file filled with zeros using dd and then formats the file as vfat with a label of "MYFILE". If anyone can help me it would be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amandasaza08
1 Replies
SHLOCK(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SHLOCK(1)

NAME
shlock -- create or verify a lock file for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
shlock [-du] [-p PID] -f lockfile DESCRIPTION
The shlock command can create or verify a lock file on behalf of a shell or other script program. When it attempts to create a lock file, if one already exists, shlock verifies that it is or is not valid. If valid, shlock will exit with a non-zero exit code. If invalid, shlock will remove the lock file, and create a new one. shlock uses the link(2) system call to make the final target lock file, which is an atomic operation (i.e. "dot locking", so named for this mechanism's original use for locking system mailboxes). It puts the process ID ("PID") from the command line into the requested lock file. shlock verifies that an extant lock file is still valid by using kill(2) with a zero signal to check for the existence of the process that holds the lock. The -d option causes shlock to be verbose about what it is doing. The -f argument with lockfile is always required. The -p option with PID is given when the program is to create a lock file; when absent, shlock will simply check for the validity of the lock file. The -u option causes shlock to read and write the PID as a binary pid_t, instead of as ASCII, to be compatible with the locks created by UUCP. EXIT STATUS
A zero exit code indicates a valid lock file. EXAMPLES
BOURNE SHELL #!/bin/sh lckfile=/tmp/foo.lock if shlock -f ${lckfile} -p $$ then # do what required the lock rm ${lckfile} else echo Lock ${lckfile} already held by `cat ${lckfile}` fi C SHELL #!/bin/csh -f set lckfile=/tmp/foo.lock shlock -f ${lckfile} -p $$ if ($status == 0) then # do what required the lock rm ${lckfile} else echo Lock ${lckfile} already held by `cat ${lckfile}` endif The examples assume that the file system where the lock file is to be created is writable by the user, and has space available. HISTORY
shlock was written for the first Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) software distribution, released in March 1986. The algorithm was sug- gested by Peter Honeyman, from work he did on HoneyDanBer UUCP. AUTHORS
Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org> BUGS
Does not work on NFS or other network file system on different systems because the disparate systems have disjoint PID spaces. Cannot handle the case where a lock file was not deleted, the process that created it has exited, and the system has created a new process with the same PID as in the dead lock file. The lock file will appear to be valid even though the process is unrelated to the one that cre- ated the lock in the first place. Always remove your lock files after you're done. BSD
June 29, 1997 BSD