Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Remove newline in middle of string Post 302777145 by Corona688 on Thursday 7th of March 2013 11:50:24 AM
Old 03-07-2013
Code:
awk '{ L=$0 ; getline ; print L $0 }' FS="\t" OFS="\t" inputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a string in the middle of the file

i want to add a string in a very top of a file without using VI or SED or AWK this is what ive done: (echo '0a'; echo 'LINE OF TEXT'; echo '.'; echo 'wq') | ed -s myfile to add astrng right in the middle i could have count the lines of the file and just chenge the address. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciroredz
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping certain characters in at the middle of a string

I am trying to strip out certain characters from a string on both (left & right) sides. For example, line=see@hear|touch, i only want to echo the "hear" part. Well i have tried this approach: line=see@hear|touch templine=${line#*@} #removed "see@" echo ${templine%%\|*} #removed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcoblefias
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove all tabs and newline (\n)

how to remove all tabs and newline (\n) from the exicting file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvr_satya
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add string to middle of a file

Hi, I want to write a script that takes a file and a string as params and adds the string to the middle line of the file. Also, I want to output the results back to the original file passed without using temp files. I am very much new to UNIX so this is all a little like black magic to me at... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chiefos
15 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it possible to grep with a newline in the middle of an expression?

I'm hoping that there is a way to do this. I'm sure I won't be able to get the answer I need on the deadline I need it...but at least I'll learn how to solve this problem. I have a file that looks like this: (00:14:25\$ head -27 QNHDSPACEDVR Name: PollDhctAVFSInfo 00:0F:21:4B:00:6A Name:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting a string and putting another string in the middle?

Hello all! I'm trying to put together a small script that will take in a file name and attach a datestamp to the end of it (but before the file type extension). To illustrate... Before: filename.txt anotherfilename.txt After: filename_20090724.txt anotherfilename_20090724.txt ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisoo411
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove newline between two string with sed command in unix shellscript

I have a file (test.dat) which contains data like this 459|199811047|a |b |shan kar|ooty| 460|199811047|a |bv |gur u|cbe| but I need it like: 459|199811047|a |b |shankar|ooty| 460|199811047|a |b |guru|cbe| While reading the data from this file, I don't want to remove newline from the end of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcrshankar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last newline character..

Hi all.. I have a text file which looks like below: abcd efgh ijkl (blank space) I need to remove only the last (blank space) from the file. When I try wc -l the file name,the number of lines coming is 3 only, however blank space is there in the file. I have tried options like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathya83aa
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Map a string in a the middle of a record

Hi Folks! I hope you can help me figure this out. I need to print a record which contains the contents of a config file. The contents of the config file should be found within the 21st and the 30th position of the fixed width reference file. Config File: aaaa bbbb cccc Reference... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to remove spaces from middle of the line

Hi, I need to correct href portion of the lines to edit out spaces from the line starting with position "<a href=" and ending at "target=" Below are 2 examples of extra space added by the server: <td width=251 colspan=9 rowspan=22> <font size=2 face="courier"><tt><style>{font:7pt Courier ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: friedmi
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)