Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk Grouping and Subgrouping with Counts Post 302776061 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 6th of March 2013 01:06:29 AM
Old 03-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCrosby
Thank you so much, based on the dataset it is perfect.. however on the larger files it takes quite a while which is fine. The one issue is that its not taking product (column 1) into account and seems to be grouping on the count

Any ideas? I sincerely appreciate your help.

Some logic
-> product (sort by top 3 - based on how many rows it appears on)
----> skew (sort by top 5 skews from the products found above)
----> count of skews

I hope that helps explain a bit more.
A bit more, yes. But still not clear. In your sample input there are 6 occurrences each of products p1, p2, p3, and p4. You say you want the top 3 products, but your sample output only shows 2. (And since there are four products with the same number of occurrences, you don't say how to choose which 3 of those 4 should be chosen.) Your sample output didn't show the top 2 product/skew pairs p1/12345 and p2/23456 both of which appear 6 times even though p1 and p2 appear the same number of times as p3 and p4???

From what you did with your 1 count sample, you chose the last two of the set of the four most common products based on the fact that their product names sorted last. Is that really what you want?

If there are ties, should your results include all products that match the number of occurrences of the third most common product? If there are ties in the number of appearances of a skew within a product, should the results include all skews with the fifth most common skew within that product?

Will a single skew ever appear with more than one product, or are skews supposed to be unique to a product.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counts

How can i do a simple record count in my shell script? i just want to count the number of records i receive from a specific file. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: k@ssidy
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counts

To start I have a table that has ticketholders. Each ticket holder has a unique number and each ticket holder is associated to a so called household number. You can have multiple guests w/i a household. I would like to create 3 flags (form a, for a household that has 1-4 gst) form b 5-8 gsts... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbr262
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grouping using sed/awk ?

I run awk cat $1|awk '{print $6}' and get a lot of results and I want results to group them. For example my result is (o/p is unknown to user) xyz xyz abc pqr xyz pqr etc I wanna group them as xyz=total found 7 abc=total .... pqr= Thank (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pujansrt
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk grouping by name script

Hello I am trying to figure out a script which could group a log file by user names. I worked with awk command and I could trim the log file to: <USER: John Frisbie > /* Thu Aug 06 2009 15:11:45.7974 */ FLOAT GRANT WRITE John Frisbie (500 of 3005 write) <USER: Shawn Sanders > /* Thu Aug 06... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avto
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to create max value of 3rd column, grouping by first column

Hi, I need an awk script (or whatever shell-construct) that would take data like below and get the max value of 3 column, when grouping by the 1st column. clientname,day-of-month,max-users ----------------------------------- client1,20120610,5 client2,20120610,2 client3,20120610,7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and perl grouping.

Hello folks. After awk, i have decided to start to learn perl, and i need some help. I have following output : 1 a 1 b 2 k 2 f 3 s 3 p Now with awk i get desired output by issuing : awk ' { a = a FS $2 } END { for ( i in a) print i,a }' input 1 a b 2 k f 3 s p Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Peasant
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grouping using sed or awk

I have below inside a file. 11.22.33.44 user1 11.22.33.55 user2 I need this manipulated as alias server1.domain.com='ssh user1@11.22.33.44' alias server2.domain.com='ssh user2@11.22.33.55' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk adding counts together from column

Hello Im new treat me nicely, I have a headache :) I have a script that seemed to work now it doesnt anyway, the last part is adding counts of unique items in a csv file eg 05492U34 38 05492U34 47 two columns, (many different values like this in file) i want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aniquebmx
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grouping and Subgrouping using awk

I have a data which looks like 1440993600|L|ABCDEF 1440993600|L|ABCD 1440993601|L|ABCDEF 1440993602|L|ABC 1440993603|L|ABCDE . . . 1441015200|L|AB 1441015200|L|ABC 1441015200|L|ABCDEF So basically, the $1 is epoch date, $2 and $3 is some application data From one if the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanty4u
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output counts of all matching strings lessthan a number using awk

The awk below is supposed to count all the matching $5 strings and count how many $7 values is less than 20. I don't think I need the portion in bold as I do not need any decimal point or format, but can not seem to get the correct counts. Thank you :). file chr5 77316500 77316628 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)