Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Noob Expect Scripting Question Post 302775341 by in2nix4life on Monday 4th of March 2013 03:58:05 PM
Old 03-04-2013
What do you have so far?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Question about compiling (noob)

I'm just getting started to lean C and I'm using Ubuntu today I found a tutorial at this site: http://einstein.drexel.edu/courses/CompPhys/General/C_basics/c_tutorial.html and I got an error after compiling the fist code: #include < stdio.h> void main() { printf("\nHello World\n"); } ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arya6000
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob sorting question

Ok here is the deal, I have a command given to me by some systems guy who I cannot get ahold of on the weekend without paying him alot of money to help me. I need to get this done before Monday as I am just getting pummeled by DOS attacks. The comand given was.... netstat -ntu | awk '{print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hexabah
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob question on comparing #'s.

I have a file with 3 digit numbers in it formatted as such: 123 065 321 How would I go about seeing if each number is less than 100 and if so outputting it to another file Yes, I am a bit of a noob. I have tried with grep but I don't think it'll work. Any general direction would be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirkm76
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange expect script behavior, or am i misunderstanding expect scripting?

Hello to all...this is my first post (so please go easy). :) I feel pretty solid at expect scripting, but I'm running into an issue that I'm not able to wrap my head around. I wrote a script that is a little advanced for logging into a remote Linux machine and changing text in a file using sed.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: v1k0d3n
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NOOB - Scripting to make an App work

Hello everyone. i work in a school and i ran into an application today that is a real pickle. i know how to make it work, but i would need to script it. The way to make it work would be to have a script check each local user profile on login, see if the directory already exists, do nothing... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: jscan
27 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob scripting question with android ADB commands

Hi I'm pretty new to scripting and I've been googling around looking for an answer but have yet to come up with a proper solution. I work with multiple android devices at a time and I'm looking to simplify my life with a script. Basically I'm looking for a script that takes the device ID's and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Onyoursix
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Noob to Shell Scripting

Hello. I'm attempting to create a shell script to assist me by saving time with one of my hobbies. I am an Android Enthusiast and currently build a few roms for one of the devices. One of the roms I make is ported from a different device to mine (I get the original for the HTC Desire HD and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JHutson456
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop -- noob question

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and i am trying to figure why is this not working with else statement. I am searching for every directory in that DIR i am in, however the "else" seems to be triggered whenever the run the script.. Much thanks in advance! #!/bin/shell for item in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reb0rn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Noob to scripting needs some assistance

Hello, I am in a Unix class and have been out of town. I have been tasked to generate a couple of scripts and ahve never done it before. I have a virtual machine running Ubuntu. The task is below Prompt the system administrator for all valid input parameters Generate a menu to ask which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkeeton81
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total Noob BASH scripting question

Hello All, I have a file of ip addresses called activeips.txt What I'm trying to do is run a simple bash script that has a loop in it. The loop is a cat of the IP addresses in the file. The goal is to run 2 nmap commands to give me outputs where each address in the list has an OS... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk_Pitt
11 Replies
DISLOCATE(1)                                                  General Commands Manual                                                 DISLOCATE(1)

NAME
Dislocate - disconnect and reconnect processes SYNOPSIS
dislocate [ program args... ] INTRODUCTION
Dislocate allows processes to be disconnected and reconnected to the terminal. Possible uses: o You can disconnect a process from a terminal at work and reconnect from home, to continue working. o After having your line be dropped due to noise, you can get back to your process without having to restart it from scratch. o If you have a problem that you would like to show someone, you can set up the scenario at your own terminal, disconnect, walk down the hall, and reconnect on another terminal. o If you are in the middle of a great game (or whatever) that does not allow you to save, and someone else kicks you off the ter- minal, you can disconnect, and reconnect later. USAGE
When run with no arguments, Dislocate tells you about your disconnected processes and lets you reconnect to one. Otherwise, Dislocate runs the named program along with any arguments. By default, ^] is an escape that lets you talk to Dislocate itself. At that point, you can disconnect (by pressing ^D) or suspend Dislo- cate (by pressing ^Z). Any Tcl or Expect command is also acceptable at this point. For example, to insert the contents of a the file /etc/motd as if you had typed it, say: send -i $out [exec cat /etc/motd] To send the numbers 1 to 100 in response to the prompt "next #", say: for {set i 0} {$i<100} {incr i} { expect -i $in "next #" send -i $out "$i " } Scripts can also be prepared and sourced in so that you don't have to type them on the spot. Dislocate is actually just a simple Expect script. Feel free to make it do what you want it to do or just use Expect directly, without going through Dislocate. Dislocate understands a few special arguments. These should appear before any program name. Each should be sep- arated by whitespace. If the arguments themselves takes arguments, these should also be separated by whitespace. The -escape flag sets the escape to whatever follows. The default escape is ^]. CAVEATS
This program was written by the author as an exercise to show that communicating with disconnected processes is easy. There are many fea- tures that could be added, but that is not the intent of this program. SEE ALSO
Tcl(3), libexpect(3) "Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 7 October 1993 DISLOCATE(1)