Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check null value in xml
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check null value in xml Post 302775097 by Neethu on Monday 4th of March 2013 05:47:56 AM
Old 03-04-2013
Hi RudiC,

I tried the following code
Code:
awk '/<submit>/,/<\/submit>/' log.out > xml
if [ -s xml ]
then
grep "<timestamp1>..*</timestamp1>" xml > tvalue
else
echo xml is empty
fi

This will not pull any value if timestamp is empty in xml file. I want to check the value of timestamp1 in xml file and if it is empty i want to insert the current time. But in this code it is not pulling any xml tag.

Last edited by Neethu; 03-04-2013 at 06:53 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for NULL variable

Hello I want to check for NULL variable.. but this is not working..please help thanks in advance esham (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for not null string in file

Hi, If, in a text file a string is expected at a certain fixed position(for eg at position 5 or from 5-10 on every line) how to check whether data is present on that position or not? Thnx in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: misenkiser
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check null variable

korn shell If then update_smartcare_user_password "$u_id" else echo "Not a database user" fi i get this error Syntax error at line *** : `then' is not expected. what should i do. I want to check whether $a is null or not. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for null value from makefile

My makefile has some code as follows: if ; then \ echo copying tools; \ cp -f `../${TOOLS_ROOT_PATH}/ext_tools.sh 1` ${EXTERNAL_BIN_DIR} || exit $$?;\ fi; \ The ext_tools.sh is as follows: cat ttx.conf | grep external | grep -v ^# | awk '{print $1}' It can sometime result... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jake_ryan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check for null values in a column

Hi All, I have a file with 10 columns and get the required data for nine columns properly except 8th. In 8th column i have both NULL and NON NULL values...i.e certain records have values for all the columns including 8th column and certain records have 8th column as NULL.My requisite is,without... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for null

hi, i have 3 lines of output , if second line exists then only condition within the if loop has to exeute other wise it has exit from loop. i had tried like this but not getting please help me ... Code: if ; then echo "success" else echo "" Use code tags please,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreelu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for null

Hi Champs!!! im a newbie in unix, need ur expert help for my problem... I need to search if there are any "NULL" entries in the string String without Null Str1: 203652|1000003653|tellt|RUPV|4649|1|07/28/2011 01:56:12 String with Null (RUPV is removed) Str2:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasad7
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for null values in columns

Hi , I have below data with fixed with of 52 bytes having three columns value data. 01930 MA GLOUCESTER 02033 02025 COHASSET 01960 MA ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition to check null variable

Guys, Please help me on the below sample.cfg var=NULL sample.sh #!/bin/sh . /sample.cfg if ;then 1 st command here else 2 nd command here fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check null values column

hi, I had a small question.I had a file from which i need to extract data. I have written the below script to check if the file exists and if it exists extract requierd columns from the file. IFILE=/home/home01/Report_1.csv OFILE=/home/home01/name.csv.out1 if #Checks if file exists... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
1 Replies
STAG-GREP(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     STAG-GREP(1p)

NAME
stag-grep - filters a stag file (xml, itext, sxpr) for nodes of interest SYNOPSIS
stag-grep person -q name=fred file1.xml stag-grep person 'sub {shift->get_name =~ /^A*/}' file1.xml stag-grep -p My::Foo -w sxpr record 'sub{..}' file2 USAGE
stag-grep [-p|parser PARSER] [-w|writer WRITER] NODE -q tag=val FILE stag-grep [-p|parser PARSER] [-w|writer WRITER] NODE SUB FILE stag-grep [-p|parser PARSER] [-w|writer WRITER] NODE -f PERLFILE FILE DESCRIPTION
parsers an input file using the specified parser (which may be a built in stag parser, such as xml) and filters the resulting stag tree according to a user-supplied subroutine, writing out only the nodes/elements that pass the test. the parser is event based, so it should be able to handle large files (although if the node you parse is large, it will take up more memory) ARGUMENTS
-p|parser FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module xml assumed as default -w|writer FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module -c|count prints the number of nodes that pass the test -filterfile|f a file containing a perl subroutine (in place of the SUB argument) -q|query TAG1=VAL1 -q|query TAG2=VAL2 ... -q|query TAGN=VALN filters based on the field TAG other operators can be used too - eg <, <=, etc multiple q arguments can be passed in for more complex operations, pass in your own subroutine, see below SUB a perl subroutine. this subroutine is evaluated evry time NODE is encountered - the stag object for NODE is passed into the subroutine. if the subroutine passes, the node will be passed to the writer for display NODE the name of the node/element we are filtering on FILE the file to be parser. If no parser option is supplied, this is assumed to a be a stag compatible syntax (xml, sxpr or itext); otherwise you should parse in a parser name or a parser module that throws stag events SEE ALSO
Data::Stag perl v5.10.0 2008-12-23 STAG-GREP(1p)