Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable value substitution issue with awk command issue Post 302773943 by G.K.K on Friday 1st of March 2013 02:08:04 AM
Old 03-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotne
As bipinajith write, you can not use a variable directly in your awk code
You need to declare a variable. This can be done before the code with -v or after the code like this.
Code:
echo $NM | awk -v D="$DAT" '$0~"D$" {print $1}'
echo $NM | awk '$0~"D$" {print $1} D="$DAT"'

If NM do contain multiple lines, you should add quotes to it:
Code:
echo "$NM" | awk '$0~"D$" {print $1} D="$DAT"'

PS after posting more than 40 post here, you should know how to use code tags to.
Thanks I understood.

But how to check the variable value DAT against the last 4 digits of variable value NM using awk command.

---------- Post updated at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotne
As bipinajith write, you can not use a variable directly in your awk code
You need to declare a variable. This can be done before the code with -v or after the code like this.
The D$ should march only end of line
Code:
echo $NM | awk -v D="$DAT" '$0~"D$" {print $1}'
echo $NM | awk '$0~"D$" {print $1} D="$DAT"'

If NM do contain multiple lines, you should add quotes to it:
Code:

PS after posting more than 40 post here, you should know how to use code tags to.
Thanks , I understood.

But here i want to check the last 4 digits only of a variable value NM. So, how to correct the syntax for below code:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable for -name causing issue in Find command

Hi there, I'm trying to find files that are greater then 30 days old, zip them and move to a different directory. I'm encountering an issue passing a variable (FilesToFind) to name within the find command. Here's the code I'm running: #! /usr/bin/sh FileDir=/home/ariba... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ParNone
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Variable Substitution Issue

#!/bin/ksh VAR_ONE=HELLO TEMP=ONE echo $VAR_${TEMP} ## Output is: ONE Hi, I want the output to echo HELLO and not ONE as the above script does. I know I am missing something with dollar substitution. Can anyone help me out ? Thanks. Cal (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in substitution

Hi , I have have file which has following structure 01aaaa88888000-9999 01ssss77777000-0991 01ssss7777700000991 02ssss7777700000991 The record 01 is corrupt as value from 12th field to 19th should be positive or start with - however it is 000-9999 it should be -0009999 i need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: test_user
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Variable assignment issue Ksh script

Hi There, I am writing a ksh script which assigns variable values from file "A" and passes that variables to file "B". While passing the parameters an additional "$" sign is being assigned to awk -v option. Could any one help me with this please. #!/bin/ksh head -1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevanm
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK variable substitute issue

dear, I have below file called folderlist.txt # ParentFolder environment_flag SubFolders triss 1 checksum bookstructure 1 fx 1 checksum_GMDB I have a script which which will create the folders under... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with AWK using a variable

Hi, I am doing an AWK in ksh as below with the string to search to be read from variable but for some reason there is no output. It works when I hard code it. awk 'substr($0,22,6)=="${VAR}"' XXX.txt' >YYY.txt On reading other posts I tried below option, 'substr($0,22,6)=="/"${VAR}/""' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: junnujayz
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in using variable within sed command

Hi All, I am trying to use a variable within the sed command but I am not able to get the output. When I am using the following command (without variable) its working fine: sed -n '/2011\/12\/10 18:11:11./,$p' < Log.txt > Delta_Log.txt But when I am putting the value 2011\/12\/10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acoomer
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command issue

Hi All, I have one file with below content Post1:uri Post2:urieop Post3:urtei I am trying to read each word seprated by delimiter with below command Value1=$(awk -F":" '{print $1}' $HSFILE) Value2=$(awk -F":" '{print $2}' $HSFILE) echo $Value1 echo $Value2 It is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue when printing filename through cygwin using a variable with awk

Hi, If i were to do this an print out the file, it will show as it is in the command $ awk '/Privilege Use/ {P=0} /Object Access/ {P=1} P' AdvancedAudit.txt Object Access File System No Auditing Registry No Auditing Kernel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue using empty variable in grep command

Hi, I'm writing a shell script and trying to grep a variable value, it works fine as long as there is a value in /tmp/list.out which is captured in $DSK but sometimes the file tends to be empty and that is where I'm having an issue while using grep which returns nothing. I know I can use something... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
15 Replies