Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Only the terminal(command screen) no GUI, for Windows XP ??? Post 302773903 by mr_ganapathy on Friday 1st of March 2013 01:25:41 AM
Old 03-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Why not install Virtualbox? You can then download and install a full Linux distribution and run it as a virtual machine.
Did we need to install it or it act as a portable one, without any installation can we able run it ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

accessing WWW from non GUI terminal

how would I go about accessing the internet from a regular non-gui terminal.... . would I have to configure the settings or is there an application or uitliity that I can use that will do this..?? than in advance moxxx68 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If a is windows gui ( client), b is a unix gui ( Server for a) and c is a shell scrip

Hello all, 1) I want to have a GUI application that will call Unix shell scripts, 2) that GUI application should be able to reside on windows ( if possible) and then call Unix shell script either directly or through a server residing on unix. That is for example. If a is windows gui (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hchivukula
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Data protector GUI gives Blank screen

Hi, Haveing a little trouble with data protector (5.5) on HP-UX (11.11, 11.23) under Xwindows Chameleon UNIX 97 (7.0 - its a old version) I am trying to get the GUI for DP up and running on a HP-UX cell manager and I have the following problem. The GUI starts up with no errors that I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
2 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Output terminal sessions to screen and log file

I would like to use a terminal session to ssh to switches and routers. I need to capture data while logged into switches to a file I can email for troubleshooting. I use termial to log into Cisco switch, run the sh tech command, and then sent the output to cisco. Is there a way to run a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdelliott
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change the title bar of the terminal screen

Hi, How to change the value after the symbol '@' ? $ i.e. @mac1 I want to change it to @prod2 Also need to change the same in the title bar on the top when we open a new terminal. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi, I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albator1932
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

XUbuntu Live CD customizing using uck-gui. - Splash screen not changing

Hi all, I am customizing the Xubuntu 12.04 live cd.. Using uck-gui , i extracted the iso file and mounted in a location. Can anyone please help me out how to proceed with removing the splash screen ( the screen that gives loading image with xubuntu logo) or to change the logo that is in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: selvarajvs
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

XUbuntu Live CD customizing using uck-gui. - Splash screen not changing

Hi all, I am customizing the Xubuntu 12.04 live cd.. Using uck-gui , i extracted the iso file and mounted in a location. Can anyone please help me out how to proceed with removing the splash screen ( the screen that gives loading image with xubuntu logo) or to change the logo that is in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: selvarajvs
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

When connecting to HPUX gui console it is grey screen?

My screen is grey when i connect to gui console (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies
MESG(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           MESG(1)

NAME
mesg - display (or do not display) messages from other users SYNOPSIS
mesg [option] [n|y] DESCRIPTION
The mesg utility is invoked by a user to control write access others have to the terminal device associated with standard error output. If write access is allowed, then programs such as talk(1) and write(1) may display messages on the terminal. Traditionally, write access is allowed by default. However, as users become more conscious of various security risks, there is a trend to remove write access by default, at least for the primary login shell. To make sure your ttys are set the way you want them to be set, mesg should be executed in your login scripts. ARGUMENTS
n Disallow messages. y Allow messages to be displayed. If no arguments are given, mesg shows the current message status on standard error output. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Explain what is being done. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXIT STATUS
The mesg utility exits with one of the following values: 0 Messages are allowed. 1 Messages are not allowed. >1 An error has occurred. FILES
/dev/[pt]ty[pq]? SEE ALSO
login(1), talk(1), write(1), wall(1), xterm(1) HISTORY
A mesg command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The mesg command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2014 MESG(1)