Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Removing a PV from a VG that hasn't been used Post 302773547 by Peasant on Thursday 28th of February 2013 07:35:54 AM
Old 02-28-2013
Since you already expanded the logical volume, the extents are already being used by that LVOL.
You can check that with lvdisplay -m <lvol in question>.

After resize2fs, did the mentioned filesystem increased in size (even partial?)

If yes, you will need to put the new disk inside, and use pvmove to move the extents from that disk to new one.

After that you can use vgreduce.

Can you please post the output of
lvdisplay -m LVOL
vgdisplay -v VOLUMEGROUP

Also df output would be useful.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing tabs

Hi Everyone, Im trying to write a shell script that removes a "newline character followed by a tab" throughout a file. basically it should get rid of it. Here's an example File Before The cat sat on the mat File After The cat sat on the mat This message writing screen has... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbvcxzdz
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing certain tabs

I have a tab delimited file with many lines, one for each record. each line is tab delimited with a tab before the first data field, a tab between each data field, and a tab after the last data field before it moves onto the next line. I need to remove only the preceeding tab before the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djkane
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing files

Hi, It seems someone has created files instead of actually running the commands, as below: -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle92 dba 0 Mar 2 11:19 PRIML_070302.ok -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle92 dba 557 Mar 2 11:20 PRIVH_070302.dat -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle92 dba 0 Mar 12 11:57... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiquidChild
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing duplicates

Hi I have a file that are a list of people & their credentials i recieve frequently The issue is that whne I catnet this list that duplicat entries exists & are NOT CONSECUTIVE (i.e. uniq -1 may not weork here ) I'm trying to write a scrip that will remove duplicate entries the script can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevie_velvet
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing ^M from a file

i have a file that has ^M character at the end of each line there are atleast 150 files like this and i want to remove the special character(^M) . i want a script which does this which takes filename as an argument. Please help in this regards. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgmfourms
5 Replies

6. Programming

Help with removing \n from a string in C

void remove_new_line(char *s) { while (*s) { if (*s == '\n') { *s='\0'; } s++; } } // i tried this code for removing a \n from a string but its not working (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
12 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Removing all the duplicates

i want to remove all the duplictaes in a file.I dont want even a single entry. For the input data: 12345|12|34 12345|13|23 3456|12|90 15670|12|13 12345|10|14 3456|12|13 i need the below data in one file 15670|12|13 and the below data in another file (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing '[20]' from a file

Hey guys, I'm using sed to remove from a file and using either of this: sed 's///g'| sed 's/''//g'| sed 's/'$(echo "")'//g'| but those are just deleting '1' from the file, could you please help me with that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
2 Replies

9. Solaris

zpool hasn't expanded

Hi Guys, I have a raidz zpool that consists of four disks. 2x2TB, 1x1TB and 1x0.75TB. Originally it was only 1x1TB, 3x0.75TB, and I had around 1.7TB of storage capacity. I've just switched out two of the 0.75TB disks for the 2x2TB ones. I did this one at a time and now the resilvering is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudigarude
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing PATTERN from txt without removing lines and general text formatting

Hi Everybody! First post! Totally noobie. I'm using the terminal to read a poorly formatted book. The text file contains, in the middle of paragraphs, hyphenation to split words that are supposed to be on multiple pages. It looks ve -- ry much like this. I was hoping to use grep -v " -- "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxeHandle
5 Replies
LVDISPLAY(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      LVDISPLAY(8)

NAME
lvdisplay - display attributes of a logical volume SYNOPSIS
lvdisplay [-a|--all] [-c|--colon] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--ignorelockingfailure] [--maps] [--nosuffix] [-P|--partial] [--units hHbB- sSkKmMgGtTpPeE] [-v|--verbose] [--version] [LogicalVolumePath [LogicalVolumePath...]] lvdisplay --columns | -C [--aligned] [-a|--all] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--ignorelockingfailure] [--noheadings] [--nosuffix] [-o|--options [+]Field[,Field]] [-O|--sort [+|-]Key1[,[+|-]Key2[,...]]] [-P|--partial] [--segments] [--separator Separator] [--unbuffered] [--units hHbBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE] [-v|--verbose] [--version] [LogicalVolumePath [LogicalVolumePath...]] DESCRIPTION
lvdisplay allows you to see the attributes of a logical volume like size, read/write status, snapshot information etc. lvs (8) is an alternative that provides the same information in the style of ps (1). lvs is recommended over lvdisplay. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options and lvs for options given with --columns. --all Include information in the output about internal Logical Volumes that are components of normally-accessible Logical Volumes, such as mirrors, but which are not independently accessible (e.g. not mountable). For example, after creating a mirror using 'lvcreate -m1 --mirrorlog disk', this option will reveal three internal Logical Volumes, with suffixes mimage_0, mimage_1, and mlog. -c, --colon Generate colon separated output for easier parsing in scripts or programs. N.B. lvs (8) provides considerably more control over the output. The values are: * logical volume name * volume group name * logical volume access * logical volume status * internal logical volume number * open count of logical volume * logical volume size in sectors * current logical extents associated to logical volume * allocated logical extents of logical volume * allocation policy of logical volume * read ahead sectors of logical volume * major device number of logical volume * minor device number of logical volume -m, --maps Display the mapping of logical extents to physical volumes and physical extents. To map physical extents to logical extents use pvs --segments -o+lv_name,seg_start_pe,segtype. --columns | -C Display output in columns, the equivalent of lvs. Options listed are the same as options given in lvs (8). Examples "lvdisplay -v /dev/vg00/lvol2" shows attributes of that logical volume. If snapshot logical volumes have been created for this original logical volume, this command shows a list of all snapshot logical volumes and their status (active or inactive) as well. "lvdisplay /dev/vg00/snapshot" shows the attributes of this snapshot logical volume and also which original logical volume it is associated with. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), lvcreate(8), lvscan(8), pvs(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) LVDISPLAY(8)