Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Selective delete in SQL
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Selective delete in SQL Post 302772861 by cero on Wednesday 27th of February 2013 03:02:23 AM
Old 02-27-2013
There most likely is a way to find out what is in the first 100 mb of the file, but that is not how databases work. One reason database systems were invented is that you do not have to bother with this kind of things, so the documentation for this is hard to find and understand.
I could tell you how to do this for Oracle systems if I'd know the exact version, but there would be a LOT research you'd have to do and I'm not sure if recreating the database wouldn't be less straining on your resources.
A quick google search revealed that shrinking mysql datafiles is not a built in feature for that database system, but there are tools that can do it. The native approach would be to add a datafile of the desired size, move all data there and drop the old ones (and I guess that is what those tools do).
Edit: Using tools like vi or awk on database files usually is a bad idea and will most likely corrupt your database.

Last edited by cero; 02-27-2013 at 04:30 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Trying to delete a directory pattern-selective deletion

Trying to delete a directory or a file using a pattern-selective deletion (using “*” and “?” ) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: herberwz
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with selective ls

Hi all :wall: Can anyone advise how do I use ls to do a selective amd sorted listing of file that I want to have as below? Am looking for files that are named as log_<nnnn>.txt, where <nnnn> are numeric, i.e. I want to have a listing sorted from the newest to the oldest of files that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

RegEx - selective delete around a pattern

I need RegEx to delete text block delimited by "^--" and "^request saved" if the block contained the pattern "FAILED:No air,rail,hotel or car" in the following. Many thanks in advance! company_id=9292 queue_id=72 internationalOnly=0 Building XML... ABC123 Adding passenger first=First ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roshansharma
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture rows for a column in file from delete sql -Oracle

Hi, This may not be the right forum but i am hoping someone knows an answer to this. I have to capture rows for a column that was deleted. How can i do that without having to write a select query? delete from myschema.mytable where currentdatetimestamp > columnDate this should delete 5... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Selective delete command

Hi All. I didnt know how to put this question as but i want to delete my values following string_X but need to retain the data in it. I hope the following might help me in conveying my doubt. My sequence looks like this. >string_1 CAJW010000001... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonia102
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SQL selective replace

Hi I have a table which looks like this id | name | length | clone | null 1 | string 1 | 12345643 | string 1 | NULL | 2 | string 2 | 2345612 | string 2 | NULL | 3 | string 3 | 3421556 | string 3 | NULL | 4 | string 4 | 1236742 | string 4 | NULL | 5 | string 5 | 2312677 | string 5 | NULL |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsi.245
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sql delete and append

Hi I have a question on appending and deleting entries in mysql table. This is my sample table. table name: details id_name | model | mode | media| first | end | id | level | +--------------------+-------+---------+-----+-------+-------+--------+--------+ | PSK_30s1207681L002 | -1 | 1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsi.245
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selective replace and delete

Hi My input file looks like this: >BAHMI01000090.1 Details of the shopping list 9800 item00090, whole set of listed artifacts and objects >BAHMI01050012.1 Details of the shopping list 9800 item02310, whole set of listed artifacts and objects >BAHMI01070078.1 Details of the shopping list ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonia102
5 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to delete a data starting with a phrase in a table - SQL?

Hello, I am trying to remove some rows in a table, which are including a phrase at a defined column but i could not find the unique result for this. What I wish to do is to remove all lines including http://xx.yy at link column ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing multiple sql queries output into variable by running sql command only once

Hi All, I want to run multiple sql queries and store the data in variable but i want to use sql command only once. Is there a way without running sql command twice and storing.Please advise. Eg : Select 'Query 1 output' from dual; Select 'Query 2 output' from dual; I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rokkesh
3 Replies
grass-sqlite(1grass)						Grass User's Manual					      grass-sqlite(1grass)

NAME
grass-sqlite - SQLite driver SQLite driver SQLite driver in GRASS Creating a SQLite database GRASS is automatically creating the SQLite database if it is not yet existing when the first table is created in the SQLite database. It is sufficient to define the connection (see next step). Connecting GRASS to SQLite The database name 'sqlite.db' is at user's choice. Also the file storage location can be freely chosen. If the database does not exist, it will be automatically created when database content is created: # example for storing DB in mapset directory (keep single quotes): db.connect driver=sqlite database='$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/sqlite.db' db.connect -p Supported SQL commands All SQL commands supported by SQLite (for limitations, see SQLite help page: SQL As Understood By SQLite and Unsupported SQL). Operators available in conditions All SQL operators supported by SQLite. Browsing table data in DB A convenient SQLite front-end is sqlitebrowser. To open a DB file stored within the current mapset, the following way is suggested (corre- sponds to above database connection): eval `g.gisenv` # use double quotes: sqlitebrowser "$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET"/sqlite.db SEE ALSO
db.connect, db.execute, db.select SQL support in GRASS GIS SQLite web site, SQLite manual, sqlite - Management Tools Last changed: $Date: 2011-02-07 18:59:50 +0100 (Mon, 07 Feb 2011) $ Help Index GRASS 6.4.2 grass-sqlite(1grass)