Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sort and vectors on awk
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sort and vectors on awk Post 302771496 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 20th of February 2013 10:12:59 PM
Old 02-20-2013
It helps if you tell us what Linux /UNIX you are using. Some awk implementations have asort() which is array sort. Other do not - so the correct answer for you depends on the system you are on.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help, awk sed sort

Hi,everyone: I'm new to shell, and now get trouble with some script: line=`/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '/^(*\|){2}'"$CR"'/ {print $0}' ${TIER4FILE}|grep -v OSNAME=`sed -n ''$LINE'p' $DATALOC/os` sort +1 /tmp/LhasaCRs2 > /tmp/LhasaCRs1 I cannot understand the "{2}" here. My mentor said it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mycoy
1 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

awk sort help

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I dont know what I do wrong, I am trying to create shell programming database: I have this command first: && > $fname ... echo $Name:$Surname:$Agency:$Tel:$Ref: >> $fname then I have echo " Name Surname Agency Tel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeht
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort in AWK

Hi, I usually use Access to sort data however for some reason its not working. Our systems guys and myself cannot figure it out so ive tried to use AWK to do the sorting. The file is made up of single lines in the format ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eknryan
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort and count using AWK

Hi, I've a fixed width file where I need to count the number of patterns from each line between characters 1 to 15 . so can we sort them and get a count for each pattern on the file between 1 to 15 characters. 65795648617522383763831552 410828003265795648 6175223837... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Awk to efficiently substitute values using 3 vectors

I'm trying to efficiently combine the fields of two vectors (vectors b and c) into a new vector (vector d) as defined by instructions from a 3rd vector (vector a). So vector a has either a 1 or 2 in each field specifying which vector (b or c respectively) should go into that field. Vector a is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LaTortuga
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort with Awk, sed ....

I want to print out the lines that have the max value in column 3. and count the occurrence of column 1; if there are more than one occurrences, line with highest column 2 value will be printed. I have this data: input: AV 234 25 AV 256 76 AS 421 34 AV 124 76 BD 136 71 BD 241 76 AW... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sort

input file abc1 abc23 abc12 abc15 output abc1 abc12 abc15 abc23 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to sort inside awk

Hi guys I have a problem trying to sort output produced with the help of 'Awk'. After "grepping" the pattern out of the file and sorting it, sort command acts a little strange: $ grep -w -n -i "p*cmo" /bb/data/rmt4db.lrl | sort -r 32:P1096CMO 63836 344 passthru 31:P1084CMO 121335 329 passthru... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort String using awk

Hi, I need help to sort string using awk. I don't want to use sed or perl as I want to add this functionality in my existing awk script Basically I have a variable in AWK which is string with comma separated value. I want to sort that string before using that variable in further processing for... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocky.community
10 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)