Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Editing phone number with multiple delimiters Post 302770634 by Chubler_XL on Sunday 17th of February 2013 05:13:59 PM
Old 02-17-2013
You could try this, fields are read into bash array name C starting with index 0 for field 1 (index 11 for field 12):

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sed -n "11,22p" $1 | while read -a C
do
    front=${C[11]%????}          # Front = Everything except last four chars of C[11] (field 12)
    holder=${C[11]#$front}       # Remove $front from front of C[12] and store in holder
    echo "$holder"
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count number of delimiters in a file name

I have a list of files with names as "FULL_abcd_xyz_timestamp.txt" and "FULL_xx_abcd_xyz_timestamp.txt". I am writing a script with a 'for loop' to take each file, strip the "FULL" and "timestamp" from the file name and do some actions on the contains of the file. So I need to know the number of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayanbiswas
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to find the number of tab delimiters in a line

Hi, I need to find the number of tab delimiters in the first line of a file.So using word=`head -1 files.txt` I have extracted the first line of file into a variable word.It has 20 tab delimted columns.So can anyone help me in finding the number of delimiters? I am using csh and I am a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: poornimajayan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script :- Phone number validation

Hi All, I am doing a perl script validation for Phone numbers. The normal phone number format is 01-32145. I need to do two validations for the phone number 1) A valid phone number can have at least two digits as prefix and at least five digits as postfix. e.g. 01-01011 2) A... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK with multiple delimiters

I have the following string sample: bla bla bla bla bla I would like to extract the "123" using awk. I thought about awk -F"]" '{ print $1 }' but it doesn't work Any ideas ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdub
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting problem: Multiple delimiters, multiple keys

Hello If you wanted to sort a .csv file that was filled with lines like this: <Ticker>,<Date as YYYYMMDD>,<Time as H:M:S>,<Volume>,<Corr> (H : , M, S: ) by date, does anybody know of a better solution than to turn the 3rd and 4th colons of every line into commas, sorting on four keys,... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan.
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatinating the lines based on number of delimiters

Hi, I have a problem to concatenate the lines based on number of delimiters (if the delimiter count is 9 then concatenate all the fields & remove the new line char bw delimiters and then write the following data into second line) in a file. my input file content is Title| ID| Owner|... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bi.infa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting phone number, its message and assigning them into 2 variables then screen output.

Hi Everyone, I have a flatfile "inbox.txt" which contains some information: Location 0, folder "Inbox", SIM memory, Inbox folder SMS message SMSC number : "+24800000023" Sent : Sat 04 Aug 2012 09:01:00 PM +0700 Coding : Default GSM alphabet... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: testcase
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk multiple delimiters

Hi Folks, This is the first time I ever encountered this situation My input file is of this kind cat input.txt 1 PAIXAF 0 1 1 -9 0 0 0 1 2 0 2 1 2 1 7 PAIXEM 0 7 1 -9 1 0 2 0 1 2 2 1 0 2 9 PAKZXY 0 2 1 -9 2 0 1 1 1 0 1 2 0 1 Till the sixth column (which is -9), I want my columns to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count The Number Of Delimiters using awk or better

What to know the way to count the number of delimiters in each record by ignoring the escape delimiters. Sample Data: 12345678|ABN\|XYZ MED CHEM PTY. LTD.|C||100.00|22|AB"C\|Corp|"XYZ|CDEF"| I'm using awk -F'|' '{ print NF-1 }' command to find the number of delimiters. this command... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrahmaNaiduA
8 Replies

10. Web Development

Auto phone number search

Hi. I want to search 10 phone numbers automatically in Facebook and store the result in some format. Can anyone help me with the script. I am using kali Linux. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: looksthatmatter
2 Replies
RMIDISH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						RMIDISH(1)

NAME
rmidish -- front-end to midish(1), using the readline(3) library SYNOPSIS
rmidish DESCRIPTION
The rmidish utility is a very simple front-end to midish(1) that uses the readline(3) library. It runs midish(1) in the background, issues an interactive prompt and passes user commands to midish(1). The initial purpose of rmidish was to illustrate how to use the -v option of midish(1) to create a front-end, but it can be run instead of midish(1) to make the later more user-friendly when used interactively. SEE ALSO
midish(1), readline(3) Midish user's manual and tutorial http://caoua.org/midish/ BUGS
The midish(1) executable has to be in the same directoy as rmidish BSD
August 22, 2005 BSD