Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] How to remove listing of current user cmd from ps -ef listing? Post 302770615 by MadeInGermany on Sunday 17th of February 2013 12:30:01 PM
Old 02-17-2013
And the grep argument must be quoted.
Code:
ps -ef | grep "[M]Q"

Proof:
Code:
touch MQ
echo [M]Q
echo "[M]Q"

QED.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive directory listing without listing files

Does any one know how to get a recursive directory listing in long format (showing owner, group, permission etc) without listing the files contained in the directories. The following command also shows the files but I only want to see the directories. ls -lrtR * (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psingh
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files older than 5 days and remove tem after listing

need help with this ... Find files older than 5 days and remove tem after listing list "test" file older than 5 days and then remove them (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ypatel6871
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

listing files that do not belong to current date

How do we list all the file names in a directory that does not belong to current date. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esh.mohan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing files that does not belong to current date

How do we list all the file names in a directory that does not belong to current date. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: esh.mohan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing only directories in the current working directory using the "ls" command

Hello All, I am trying to list only directories in my current directory using the command "ls -d". But the output only contains the default directory "." and doesn't list the rest of the directories in the working directory. Can anyone explain why this is happening (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing home dir of anothe user

Hi I am trying to display the home directory of another user. I dont have the permissions to change into their directory and wonder is it possible to display their directory eg I cant change directory to john but I am trying to display something like /home/John. If anyone can help I would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmg2711
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Problem with listing my files

Hello, In my directory i have got a list of files like below unix1a.csv unix1b.csv unix1c.csv unix1d.csv unix1y.csv I have done ls -lrt unix1.csv, how can i get my unix1y.csv also get listed along with this.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing based on User and Date

listing based on user. I have files in some folder that come from many user -rwxrwxr-x 1 ratih pbank 4827112 Jun 8 08:37 S92TA-8.sgy -rwxrwxr-x 1 ratih pbank 4724568 Jun 8 08:37 S92TA-6.sgy -rwxrwxr-x 1 ratih pbank 4929656 Jun 8 08:37 S92TA-19.sgy -rwxrwxr-x 1 ratih ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muhnandap
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Listing files starting with p or f and with the exact length of 3 characters

Hello, I need some help. How can I list files starting with p or f and with the exact length of 3 characters? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: airbebe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing multiple files in windows cmd

i have multiple files like how to do list files from new_30 to new_50 i have tried this command but it wont work dir new*{30-50}.txt my exact requirement is to get line count of these files the command which work is FOR %i IN (new*.txt) DO find %i /c /v "" but at the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
1 Replies
PS(1)							      General Commands Manual							     PS(1)

NAME
ps, psu - process status SYNOPSIS
ps psu [ user ] DESCRIPTION
Ps prints information about processes. Psu prints only information about processes started by user (default $user). For each process reported, the user, process id, user time, system time, size, state, and command name are printed. State is one of the following: Moribund Process has exited and is about to have its resources reclaimed. Ready on the queue of processes ready to be run. Scheding about to be run. Running running. Queueing waiting on a queue for a resource. Wakeme waiting for I/O or some other kernel event to wake it up. Broken dead of unnatural causes; lingering so that it can be examined. Stopped stopped. Stopwait waiting for another process to stop. Fault servicing a page fault. Idle waiting for something to do (kernel processes only). New being created. Pageout paging out some other process. Syscall performing the named system call. no resource waiting for more of a critical resource. FILES
/proc/*/status SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/ps.c /rc/bin/psu SEE ALSO
kill(1), db(1), ps(1), proc(3) PS(1)