Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] The SCRIPT command - Can we see the log file of a running session? Post 302770106 by paolfili on Thursday 14th of February 2013 12:51:42 PM
Old 02-14-2013
Thanks for your replies.
The only viable solution I' ve found is:
script -f (flush output after each write) .filename Smilie

paolo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script without a terminal session

I'm trying to figure out how I can run a script "myScript.sh" in such a way that if my remote network connection gets disconnected, the script doesn't stop functioning. Right now I log in, run "./myScript.sh" and watch my output get pumped to a log file for about 10 hours. Only problem is that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script for every ftp session

Hello all, I have written a shell script which would prompt the user to enter some name and a folder would be created by that name. This script should run automatically when the users provide there credentials during a FTP session and for every FTP session. And after they have provided there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: h3llh0l3
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

running script in ftp session

Dear Friends, I have this script CAP2_Launcher on suntest server. this script needs two input files in order to process them and produces an output files. I've created .bat file from windows to access the server and transfer the input files needed by the script and execute the script then pull... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sfaqih
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help with running ps -e | less on nano script editor

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } This is just a portion of a script I'm writing on Linux nano script editor. When I run the script I get stuck on the ps -e | less command portion of the script:wall:. It displays all the process running but it does not allow me to move to the next line on the script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SANA4SPA
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a bash script even after logging out from the current session

HI , I have a simple script that moves files from one folder to another folder, I have already done the open-ssh server settings and the script is working fine and is able to transfer the files from one folder to another but right now I myself execute this script by using my creditianls to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nks342
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a script in a ftp session

Hi guys, I am using a script that run ftp and transfer file from my source server to the destination server. Since i have transferred my files to the destination server, now i want to run a script at the destination server. Could you please help me regarding how to run a script in a ftp... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to Check if a script is running?

Hi All, I am new to Unix... Can you please let me know how we can check if a script is running or not on Solaris box? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul466
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Running a R script with in a shell script

Hi, I do have an R script named KO.R. Basically reads thousands of files, whose name has a pattern that differs at a portion of the file name, List.txt. Row_file1_mile.txt Row_file2_mile.txt Row_file3_mile.txt ... ... Row_file1000_mile.txt Below is a portion of my Rscript that reads... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kanja
4 Replies

9. AIX

[Solved] Find command hangs my terminal session

Hello every one. I know little to nothing about AIX. Recently I have been assigned to an AIX project. For some reason or another the find command is hanging the server. Well it does not hand server per say, it just freezes my terminal session. after running find, I waited up to 40 min and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: busi386
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script on remote server kills my login session

Hi there, I'm trying to run a script remotely on a server in a particular directory named after hostname which already exists, my login session gets killed as soon as I run the below command. Not sure what is wrong, is there a better way to do it ? Note: I can also use nohup command to run... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
14 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adkpqr] [-F pipe] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, do not sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -F pipe Immediately flush output after each write. This will allow a user to create a named pipe using mkfifo(1) and another user may watch the live session using a utility like cat(1). -k Log keys sent to the program as well as output. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start, stop and command status messages. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. -t time Specify the interval at which the script output file will be flushed to disk, in seconds. A value of 0 causes script to flush after every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables are utilized by script: SCRIPT The SCRIPT environment variable is added to the sub-shell. If SCRIPT already existed in the users environment, its value is overwrit- ten within the sub-shell. The value of SCRIPT is the name of the typescript file. SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. The -d, -p and -r options first appeared in NetBSD 2.0 and were ported to FreeBSD 9.2. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when the terminal is in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. If script reads zero bytes from the terminal, it switches to a mode when it only attempts to read once a second until there is data to read. This prevents script from spinning on zero-byte reads, but might cause a 1-second delay in processing of user input. BSD
December 4, 2013 BSD