Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: No sound in my Linux
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat No sound in my Linux Post 302769790 by lupin..the..3rd on Wednesday 13th of February 2013 11:37:51 AM
Old 02-13-2013
alsaconf is the command you run to configure ALSA. But first you need to identify your hardware and make sure it's supported.

Please post the output of the lspci command.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sound card ?????

sapp guys i've got this little problem, i have no idea what kind of sound card i got i check dmesg|more and its not there is there any other way to find out ? THX (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: challenger
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

freeBSD 4.4 sound help please

how do i configure sound on a laptop in FreeBSD 4.4 the laptop is a Green753+ i think the sound is a ess ? can any one help please tryed to make a genric kerl but did not work (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicrawler
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux xmms sound problems

Dear all, I have been using suse linux for as long as I can remember. However, for every installation I get the same problem. Once the installation is completed, and all of my devices (brand new hardware, from reknown brands) are detected, I decide to start doing some work, and play some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bionicfysh
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does this sound right?

A user's default permissions when creating new files or directories is set by the umask of either the system or in the startup script of the user itself. For example, I have 'umask 022' in my .profile which means that my default permissions will be 755. Typically, the system default umask is 022,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Sound Effects Dolby,SRS in Linux

Hello all. Can anyone tell me if there is any alternative to Window$ Media Player for LINUX(Linux Mint). What am searching for is a player with sound processing capabilities.(Bass,Equaliser,SRS,Dolby,etc..) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolatt
1 Replies

6. Linux

Can not play sound in Linux RHEL5.

Hi All, Recently I installed Linux RHEL5 on my machine. It seems that I can not play sound on RHEL5. I have real player installed along with RHEL5 but, when I try to play any song, the error message comes up saying "Can not open the audio device.Another application may be using it." Does any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gydave
2 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Sound under OS 10.4.11 and 10.7.2

There is a change with UnIX version concerning these two platforms. I own a Power G4 Mac with OS 10.4.11 and a Mac Book Pro with Lion OS 10.7.2. There are some problems of compatibilities between the two UNIX versions. Under OS 10.4.11, these three UNIX commands work, in order to produce sounds,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shub22
4 Replies

8. Linux

No sound

I reformatted my hard drive and installed Mandriva 2011. It works fine. I can go to the Internet The problem is no sound. I want to listen to songs from YouTube. Sound doesn't come. I see a man is singing on the screen. No sound. I had no problem with my old Mandriva. Sound and everything... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Toxic
11 Replies
ALSACONF(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       ALSACONF(8)

NAME
alsaconf - configuration tool for the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture SYNOPSIS
alsaconf [options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the alsaconf command. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. Alsaconf is a simple shell script which tries to detect the sound cards on your system and writes a suitable configuration file for ALSA. It will try to guess what GNU/Linux distribution you're running, and will act accordingly to the standards of that distribution, if spe- cific support is available. Alsaconf will write a module-init-tools (or modutils) snippet which can be then used by module-init-tools (or modutils) to load the correct parameters for your sound card. OPTIONS
Alsaconf accepts the following options: -c, --config file Specify the module config file. As default, alsaconf probes the available config file automatically. -d, --devmode mode Set the device mode for the ALSA devices (default = 0666). This option is obsolete in the recent ALSA version. -g, --gid gid Set the gid for the ALSA devices (default = 0). This option is obsolete in the recent ALSA version. -h, --help Displays this help text. -L, --log file Logging on the given file. The log is appended to the file. This option is for debugging purpose only. -l, --legacy Check only for legacy non-isapnp cards. -m, --modinfo Read module descriptions instead of reading a card database. -P, --listprobe List the supported legacy card modules. -p, --probe card-name Probe a legacy non-isapnp card and print module options. -r, --strict Set strict device mode (equiv. with -g 17 -d 0660). This option is obsolete in the recent ALSA version. -s, --sound-wav-file Use the specified wav file as a test sound. -u, --uid uid Set the uid for the ALSA devices (default = 0). This option is obsolete in the recent ALSA version. DEBIAN SPECIFIC
In Debian, the default gid of the device files is 29 (corresponding to the audio group) and the default device mode is 0660. For the ALSA base package, see also /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/ SEE ALSO
alsamixer(1), amixer(1), aplay(1), arecord(1) HOMEPAGE
http://www.alsa-project.org/ AUTHOR
The alsaconf script was written by Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>, Bernd Kaindl <bk@suse.de> and Jan Ondrej (SAL) <ondrejj@salstar.sk> This manual page was written by Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org>, for the Debian system (but may be used by others). February 23, 2003 ALSACONF(8)