Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed command to print first instance of pattern in range Post 302769249 by alister on Monday 11th of February 2013 05:07:57 PM
Old 02-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrtx1
try:
Code:
sed -n '2,${/10/p; q;}' testFile.txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2nix4life
Just add the 'q;' option to quit after the first match:

Code:
sed -n '2,${/10/p;q;}' testFile.txt
two 10

Your suggestions unconditionally abort after reading line 2, and will generate incorrect output if the first instance of matching text within the range does not occur on the first line of that range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock
Code:
sed -n '/10/ {p;q}' file

This suggestion does not implement the range restriction.

A correct, sed-only solution:
Code:
sed -n '2,${/10/!d; p; q;}'

If the end of the range is not the end of the file, then an additional check is needed to avoid reading the remainder of a long file which does not match. Taking the range to be 2,50:
Code:
sed -ne '2,50{/10/!d; p; q;}' -e '50q'

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 02-11-2013 at 06:33 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

print range between two patterns if it contains a pattern within the range

I want to print between the range two patterns if a particular pattern is present in between the two patterns. I am new to Unix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. e.g. Pattern1 Bombay Calcutta Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1 Patna Madras Gwalior Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print range of lines using sed when pattern has special character "["

Hi, My input has much more lines, but few of them are below pin(IDF) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : signal; pin(SELDIV6) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to limit pattern search to first instance only

I need to reduce a file's size below 50MB by deleting chucks of text. The following sed does this. sed '/^begpattern/,/endpattern/d' myfile However, it's possible that the file size can get below 50MB by just deleting the first instance of the pattern. How do I code that into sed? Or can awk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariod1049
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print pattern range to a new file

Hi Everyone! I really appreciate all of your help, I'm learning so much, can't wait until I get good enough to start answering questions! I have a problem ... from one large file, I'd like to create multiple new files for each pattern block beginning with /^ISA/ ending with /^IEA/ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

print range of lines matching pattern and previous line

Hi all, on Solaris 10, I'd like to print a range of lines starting at pattern but also including the very first line before pattern. the following doesn't print the range starting at pattern and going down to the end of file: cat <my file> | sed -n -e '/<pattern>{x;p;}/' I need to include the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siriche
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed print range of lines between line number and pattern

Hi, I have a file as below This is the line one This is the line two <\XMLTAG> This is the line three This is the line four <\XMLTAG> Output of the SED command need to be as below. This is the line one This is the line two <\XMLTAG> Please do the need to needful to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RMN
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed for first instance of a pattern

Hi Everyone, I have the below information from a log file: LOAD SUMMARY ============ WRT_8036 Target: TGT_1_TAB (Instance Name: ) WRT_8039 Inserted rows - Requested: 3929 Applied: 0 Rejected: 3929 Affected: 0 Mutated from update: 3929 WRT_8041 Updated rows ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: galaxy_rocky
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to grab first instance of a range

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and also relatively new to sed and other such wonderfully epic tools. I'm attempting to grab a section of text between two words, but it seems to match all instances of the range instead of stopping at just the first. This occurs when I use: sed -n... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lazarix
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Range Pattern and 2 lines before Start Pattern

Hi all, I have been searching all over Google but I am unable to find a solution for a particular result that I am trying to achieve. Consider the following input: 1 2 3 4 5 B4Srt1--Variable-0000 B4Srt2--Variable-1111 Srt 6 7 8 9 10 End (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: y2jacky
3 Replies