Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ? Post 302768839 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 9th of February 2013 08:43:26 PM
Old 02-09-2013
Suppose you open a file and write one byte to the file. You close the file. close() is required to update filesystem metadata, and sync the data in the file.

open() already allocated the minimum number of blocks specified as a filesystem parameter for minimum blocks per file/inode.

Those i/o's are very likely metadata (inode and directory) updates. What else is there left to do?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vol group - physical partition size

Hi Everyone, Can someone tell me the effect of the pp size of the volume group created for Oracle data. It would seem that creating small pp's will cause more overhead. What if you make the pp to large? What should I base this size on? Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kburrows
4 Replies

2. AIX

How can I find the filesystem block size?

How can I find the filesystem block size in AIX? I need to check if it is the same as my DB block size. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: progressdll
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

determine the physical size of the hard disk

Hi is there a cmd in hpux 11 to determine the physical size of the hard disk. not bdf command. i have searched the other threads here but cant find an answer. thank you guys (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoffies
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

IPMI - Get physical memory size

Hi, Does anybody know how to get the RAM size of a powerless server (OS off), with a network hardware management protocol like IPMI ??? Thx (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sncr24
0 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

block group size of a filesystem

How can I determine the block group size of my filesystem, in case I would like to determine where my backup superblocks are? Or how can I determine the location of my backup superblock? If usually, for the block group size of 1k, the alternate superblock will be at block 8193. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Compare file size and delete the smaller

I am pretty new to scripting, so I appreciate your advice in advance. The problem: 100 directories each containing 2 files that have the same extension with random names. The only attribute that discriminates the files is size. I would like to write a script that compares the files for size... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
6 Replies

7. Solaris

ZFS : Can arc size value exceed Physical RAM ?

Hi, kstat -p -m zfs -n arcstats -s size returns zfs:0:arcstats:size 8177310584 this values is approx (7.61 GB) but my Physical Memory size is only 6144 Megabytes. Can this happen ? if yes, then how can I find free memory on the system. BTW, I ran the kstat commands from a Non... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapre_amit
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress a tar file to smaller size

I have a tar file with name DTT012_GP_20140207.tar and many more with different names of different sizes ranging from 1GB to 4GB. Now my requirement is to extract/not extract these files and then divide it into various parts of size 500MB and save it with different names and then compress... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaibal_bp
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

About Block Size and Fragment Size

Accordingly a lot of manuals - if you have block size 8KB and trying to write a 1KB file to the block, as result you waste 7KB of the block space. But recently I noticed about Fragments of File Block. In same case if you have File Block 8KB and Fragment size 1KB - you can save your block space,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Changing physical block size in ssd.conf Solaris

Close (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
0 Replies
DUMPE2FS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       DUMPE2FS(8)

NAME
dumpe2fs - dump ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem information SYNOPSIS
dumpe2fs [ -bfghixV ] [ -o superblock=superblock ] [ -o blocksize=blocksize ] device DESCRIPTION
dumpe2fs prints the super block and blocks group information for the filesystem present on device. Note: When used with a mounted filesystem, the printed information may be old or inconsistent. OPTIONS
-b print the blocks which are reserved as bad in the filesystem. -o superblock=superblock use the block superblock when examining the filesystem. This option is not usually needed except by a filesystem wizard who is examining the remains of a very badly corrupted filesystem. -o blocksize=blocksize use blocks of blocksize bytes when examining the filesystem. This option is not usually needed except by a filesystem wizard who is examining the remains of a very badly corrupted filesystem. -f force dumpe2fs to display a filesystem even though it may have some filesystem feature flags which dumpe2fs may not understand (and which can cause some of dumpe2fs's display to be suspect). -g display the group descriptor information in a machine readable colon-separated value format. The fields displayed are the group number; the number of the first block in the group; the superblock location (or -1 if not present); the range of blocks used by the group descriptors (or -1 if not present); the block bitmap location; the inode bitmap location; and the range of blocks used by the inode table. -h only display the superblock information and not any of the block group descriptor detail information. -i display the filesystem data from an image file created by e2image, using device as the pathname to the image file. -x print the detailed group information block numbers in hexadecimal format -V print the version number of dumpe2fs and exit. BUGS
You need to know the physical filesystem structure to understand the output. AUTHOR
dumpe2fs was written by Remy Card <Remy.Card@linux.org>. It is currently being maintained by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@alum.mit.edu>. AVAILABILITY
dumpe2fs is part of the e2fsprogs package and is available from http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net. SEE ALSO
e2fsck(8), mke2fs(8), tune2fs(8). ext4(5) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 DUMPE2FS(8)