Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ? Post 302768713 by rarino2 on Saturday 9th of February 2013 08:56:39 AM
Old 02-09-2013
Sun Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello,
in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a disk with sector=512B), all "physical disk IO" it will allways, like "Filesystem IO", greater than 1K.

But with dtrace script from DTrace Toolkit (bitesize.d) I can see IOs with 512B size.

¿What is wrong in my assumptions or what is the explanation?

Thank you very much in advance!!

Last edited by rarino2; 02-10-2013 at 08:43 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vol group - physical partition size

Hi Everyone, Can someone tell me the effect of the pp size of the volume group created for Oracle data. It would seem that creating small pp's will cause more overhead. What if you make the pp to large? What should I base this size on? Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kburrows
4 Replies

2. AIX

How can I find the filesystem block size?

How can I find the filesystem block size in AIX? I need to check if it is the same as my DB block size. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: progressdll
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

determine the physical size of the hard disk

Hi is there a cmd in hpux 11 to determine the physical size of the hard disk. not bdf command. i have searched the other threads here but cant find an answer. thank you guys (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoffies
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

IPMI - Get physical memory size

Hi, Does anybody know how to get the RAM size of a powerless server (OS off), with a network hardware management protocol like IPMI ??? Thx (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sncr24
0 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

block group size of a filesystem

How can I determine the block group size of my filesystem, in case I would like to determine where my backup superblocks are? Or how can I determine the location of my backup superblock? If usually, for the block group size of 1k, the alternate superblock will be at block 8193. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Compare file size and delete the smaller

I am pretty new to scripting, so I appreciate your advice in advance. The problem: 100 directories each containing 2 files that have the same extension with random names. The only attribute that discriminates the files is size. I would like to write a script that compares the files for size... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
6 Replies

7. Solaris

ZFS : Can arc size value exceed Physical RAM ?

Hi, kstat -p -m zfs -n arcstats -s size returns zfs:0:arcstats:size 8177310584 this values is approx (7.61 GB) but my Physical Memory size is only 6144 Megabytes. Can this happen ? if yes, then how can I find free memory on the system. BTW, I ran the kstat commands from a Non... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapre_amit
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress a tar file to smaller size

I have a tar file with name DTT012_GP_20140207.tar and many more with different names of different sizes ranging from 1GB to 4GB. Now my requirement is to extract/not extract these files and then divide it into various parts of size 500MB and save it with different names and then compress... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaibal_bp
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

About Block Size and Fragment Size

Accordingly a lot of manuals - if you have block size 8KB and trying to write a 1KB file to the block, as result you waste 7KB of the block space. But recently I noticed about Fragments of File Block. In same case if you have File Block 8KB and Fragment size 1KB - you can save your block space,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Changing physical block size in ssd.conf Solaris

Close (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
0 Replies
seeksize.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS						    seeksize.d(1m)

NAME
seeksize.d - print disk event seek report. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
seeksize.d DESCRIPTION
seeksize.d is a simple DTrace program to print a report of disk event seeks by process. This can be used to identify whether processes are accessing the disks in a "random" or "sequential" manner. Sequential is often desirable, indicated by mostly zero length seeks. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
Sample until Ctrl-C is hit then print report, # seeksize.d FIELDS
PID process ID CMD command and argument list value distance in disk blocks (sectors) count number of I/O operations DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
seeksize.d will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
iosnoop(1M), bitesize.d(1M), dtrace(1M) version 0.95 May 14, 2005 seeksize.d(1m)