Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - How to preserve whitespace? Post 302767375 by jnojr on Wednesday 6th of February 2013 06:28:45 PM
Old 02-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by radoulov
With GNU awk >= 4 you could try something like this:
I'm on a Mac, and have to use the BSD tools that come with OSX, as I could not count on GNU tools being available :-(

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to assign value to variable using awk coz of whitespace in value

Unix gurus, I have a file as below, which is basically the result set obtained from a sql query on an Oracle database. ID PROG_NAME USER_PROG_NAME -------- --------------- ---------------------------------------- 33045 INCOIN Import Items 42690 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunpraveen
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match (whitespace digits whitespace) sequence?

Hi Following is an example line. echo "192.22.22.22 \"33dffwef\" 200 300 dsdsd" | sed "s:\(\ *\ \):\1:" I want it's output to be 200 However this is not the case. Can you tell me how to do it? I don't want to use AWK for this. Secondly, how can i fetch just 300? Should I use "\2"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahanali
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve space in variable of AWK

This seems to be a stupid basic question, but I cant get the space to stick in the awk variable. I do use this command to grep a time range of the log file. cat /var/log/daemon.log | awk '$0>=from&&$0<=to' from="$(date +%b" "%e" "%H:%M:%S -d -24hour)" to="$(date +%b" "%e" "%H:%M:%S)" I now... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Format - preserve whitespace

I am trying to change the date format for the following: YESTER=`TZ=aaa24 date +%b" "%d | sed 's/0/ /'` TraceList=$(ls -ltR /pdt/logs | grep "$YESTER" | awk '{print $9}') CMD2=$(find /disk/dan/dansFiles/pass/logs/$TList -name cmd\* -prune) what I am trying to do in the above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ther2000
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve trailing whitespace in variable

Hello, I wondering how I can echo a string without having the trailing whitespace removed. For example I have a string str="TESTING123 " that I need to hash using sha1. I get the correct answer when I run the line below from the terminal $ echo -n "TESTING123 " | openssl sha1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: colinireland
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How remove leading whitespace from xml (sed /awk?)

Hi again I have an xml file and want to remove the leading white space as it causes me issues later in my script I see sed is possible but cant seem to get it to work I tried sed 's/^ *//' file.xml output <xn:VsDataContainer id="1U104799" modifier="update"> ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aniquebmx
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve spaces in input fields with awk?

I'm trying to do something pretty simple but its appears more complicated than expected... I've lines in a text file, separated by the comma and that I want to output to another file, without the first field. Input file: file1,item, 12345678 file2,item, 12345678 file2,item, ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Armoric
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Dealing with whitespace in associative array indicies

Is there a reliable way to deal with whitespace in array indicies? I am trying to annotate fails in a database using a table of known fails. In a begin block I have code like this: # Read in Known Fail List getline < "'"$failListFile"'"; getline < "'"$failListFile"'"; getline <... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to ignore whitespace in field

The awk below executes and update the desired field in my first awk. However, the white space between nonsynonymous SNV in $9 is being split into tabs and my attempt to correct this does not update the field unless it is removed. I am not sure what I am doing wrong? Thank you :). file1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed to repeat every character on same position from the upper line replacing whitespace

Hello is it possible with awk or sed to replace any white space with the previous line characters in the same position? I am asking this because the file I have doesn't always follow a pattern. For example the file I have is the result of a command to obtain windows ACLs: icacls C:\ /t... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
5 Replies
INTRO(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  INTRO(1)

NAME
intro -- introduction to general commands (tools and utilities) DESCRIPTION
Section one of the manual contains most of the commands which comprise the BSD user environment. Some of the commands included in section one are text editors, command shell interpreters, searching and sorting tools, file manipulation commands, system status commands, remote file copy commands, mail commands, compilers and compiler tools, formatted output tools, and line printer commands. All commands set a status value upon exit which may be tested to see if the command completed normally. The exit values and their meanings are explained in the individual manuals. Traditionally, the value 0 signifies successful completion of the command. SEE ALSO
man(1), intro(2), intro(3), intro(4), intro(5), intro(6), intro(7), intro(8), intro(9) The Regents of the University of California, UNIX User's Manual Supplementary Documents, University of California, Berkeley, http://www.netbsd.org/docs/bsd/lite2/usd.html, June, 1993. HISTORY
An intro(1) manual appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
May 5, 2010 BSD