Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands Post 302767367 by alister on Wednesday 6th of February 2013 06:14:44 PM
Old 02-06-2013
If the ps in Don's pipeline obtains the process listing after the grep processes in the pipeline have been created, the pid of grep 'CAL255.4ge, if run by wilruiz0, will be part of the result. The grep -v grep filters it out.

However, since by the time that kill is invoked the grep processes are gone, it's highly unlikely that the pid will be valid (highly unlikely, but it's not impossible that another process could have been created with that same pid).

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. Programming

kill(0,-9) don't kill the process

Hi all i have simple c program , when i wish to kill the app im using kill(0,-9) , but it seams this command don't do any thing and the program. just ignore it . what im doing wrong here ? im using HP-UX ia64 Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

4. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process from a grep

Soz im a bit newbie... I want to do: ps -A | grep firefox | kill $1 it should kill the pid associated, but it doesnt work. $1 is the pid (if i do a awk {'print $1'} i get it ) , but kill doesnt take it as such... How can i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ierpe
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep the process id and kill all the filtered process

Hi I want to write a shell script which can find the process id's of all the process and kill them eg: ps ax | grep rv_ 3015 ? S 0:00 /home/vivek/Desktop/rv_server 3020 ? S 0:00 /home/vivek/Desktop/rv_gps 3022 ? S 0:00 /home/vivek/Desktop/rv_show ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_naragund
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill the specific process

Hi I have the process to kill regulary, but the PSID is dymatic change and not sure how to kill the specific process ID Check the tradekast_rvd is running , if such process, kill the els process id ps -e f |grep tradekast_rvd ps -ef |grep els then I kill els process id ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_user
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill a process if grep match is found

Hi, I need something unusual, I guess. I need to start a process, and if that process displays a specific error message, I need to kill that process and restart it. Something like: startprocess | grep -i "This is the specific error message" && kill $pidof(startprocess) Explanation, I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: burek
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Cannot kill a process with kill -9

Hello everyone, I have a process that I want to kill. I have tried kill-9 PID but it doesn't work. I have tried preap PID but it doesn't work too. The parent of my process is the process whose PID is 1, so I can't kill it. My OS is a Solaris 9. Can anyone help me understand what's going... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with kill a specific process after certain running time

Hi, Do anybody experience to write a bash script in order to kill a specific process (java) after certain time of running? eg. java java.jar task_run.txt I will run a java program (java.jar) which will run a long list of process (task_run.txt) one by one. I plan to terminate the java... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)