Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands Post 302767361 by enriquegm82 on Wednesday 6th of February 2013 06:01:22 PM
Old 02-06-2013
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
Try:
Code:
kill -9 $(ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep 'wilruiz0' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')

Don Cragun, thanks for your reply, i have a question, why the usage of the command :

Code:
grep -v grep

Thanks in advance for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. Programming

kill(0,-9) don't kill the process

Hi all i have simple c program , when i wish to kill the app im using kill(0,-9) , but it seams this command don't do any thing and the program. just ignore it . what im doing wrong here ? im using HP-UX ia64 Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

4. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process from a grep

Soz im a bit newbie... I want to do: ps -A | grep firefox | kill $1 it should kill the pid associated, but it doesnt work. $1 is the pid (if i do a awk {'print $1'} i get it ) , but kill doesnt take it as such... How can i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ierpe
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep the process id and kill all the filtered process

Hi I want to write a shell script which can find the process id's of all the process and kill them eg: ps ax | grep rv_ 3015 ? S 0:00 /home/vivek/Desktop/rv_server 3020 ? S 0:00 /home/vivek/Desktop/rv_gps 3022 ? S 0:00 /home/vivek/Desktop/rv_show ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_naragund
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill the specific process

Hi I have the process to kill regulary, but the PSID is dymatic change and not sure how to kill the specific process ID Check the tradekast_rvd is running , if such process, kill the els process id ps -e f |grep tradekast_rvd ps -ef |grep els then I kill els process id ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_user
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill a process if grep match is found

Hi, I need something unusual, I guess. I need to start a process, and if that process displays a specific error message, I need to kill that process and restart it. Something like: startprocess | grep -i "This is the specific error message" && kill $pidof(startprocess) Explanation, I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: burek
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Cannot kill a process with kill -9

Hello everyone, I have a process that I want to kill. I have tried kill-9 PID but it doesn't work. I have tried preap PID but it doesn't work too. The parent of my process is the process whose PID is 1, so I can't kill it. My OS is a Solaris 9. Can anyone help me understand what's going... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with kill a specific process after certain running time

Hi, Do anybody experience to write a bash script in order to kill a specific process (java) after certain time of running? eg. java java.jar task_run.txt I will run a java program (java.jar) which will run a long list of process (task_run.txt) one by one. I plan to terminate the java... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD