Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed and awk not working on a large record file Post 302762959 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 29th of January 2013 09:47:09 AM
Old 01-29-2013
That file is not a valid Unix text file. You could try if this awk works anyway:
Code:
awk 'NR>1{print p}{p=$0} END{printf "%s\n", p}' RS=\| ORS=\| file

If it works, it should add a linefeed at the end..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed working on lines of small length and not large length

Hi , I have a peculiar case, where my sed command is working on a file which contains lines of small length. sed "s/XYZ:1/XYZ:3/g" abc.txt > xyz.txt when abc.txt contains lines of small length(currently around 80 chars) , this sed command is working fine. when abc.txt contains lines of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fatal: record too large

while running a script to process a file , it ended in termination . I able to find from the logs that it ended due to the error : fatal: record too large 20480 . Then I tried lots to fix the issue and left in vain . Can any one help me in finding reason for it ? . If you provide me a solution , I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk script to remove text / or perform calculations from large CSV files

I have a large CSV files (e.g. 2 million records) and am hoping to do one of two things. I have been trying to use awk and sed but am a newbie and can't figure out how to get it to work. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated - I'm stuck trying to remove the colon and wildcards in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: metronomadic
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating a line in a large csv file, with sed/awk?

I have an extremely large csv file that I need to search the second field, and upon matches update the last field... I can pull the line with awk.. but apparently you cant use awk to directly update the file? So im curious if I can use sed to do this... The good news is the field I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete \n in a large file with sed

Hello i have a big file with a specific format and delimiter is "§" : §field1§$field2§$field3§$field4§$field5§$field6§$field§ in this file we have a field which are very long (more than 20000 chars !!!!) so through vi i cant manipulate them. despite this i managed to suppress lines that... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ade05fr
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete 1 record in large file!

Hi All, I'm a newbie here, I'm just wondering on how to delete a single record in a large file in unix. ex. file1.txt is 1000 records nikki1 nikki2 nikki3 what i want to do is delete the nikki2 record in file1.txt. is it possible? Please advise, Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED/AWK to edit/add field values in a record

Hi Experts, I am new to shell scripting. Need some help in doing one task given by the customer. The sample record in a file is as follows: 3538,,,,,,ID,ID1,,,,,,,,,,, It needs to be the following: 3538,,353800,353800,,,ID,ID1,,,,,COLX,,,,,COLY, And i want to modify this record in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugarcane
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a large file in n records and skip a particular record

Hello All, I have a large file, more than 50,000 lines, and I want to split it in even 5000 records. Which I can do using sed '1d;$d;' <filename> | awk 'NR%5000==1{x="F"++i;}{print > x}'Now I need to add one more condition that is not to break the file at 5000th record if the 5000th record... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibmtech
20 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed awk: split a large file to unique file names

Dear Users, Appreciate your help if you could help me with splitting a large file > 1 million lines with sed or awk. below is the text in the file input file.txt scaffold1 928 929 C/T + scaffold1 942 943 G/C + scaffold1 959 960 C/T +... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapr0001
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to split large file with different record delimiter?

Hi, I have received a file which is 20 GB. We would like to split the file into 4 equal parts and process it to avoid memory issues. If the record delimiter is unix new line, I could use split command either with option l or b. The problem is that the line terminator is |##| How to use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi.K
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)