Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Healthy mirror on Solaris 10
Operating Systems Solaris Healthy mirror on Solaris 10 Post 302759475 by bakunin on Tuesday 22nd of January 2013 11:01:37 AM
Old 01-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by top.level
is there any problem to keep my system running with one mirror and another one will be mirrored every one time every week ?
In principle you can do that, because mirrors are meant to work even if one part of it is missing (otherwise there would be no point in mirroring, no?). On the other hand you will run the whole week with only one mirror and if something happens to this disk your system will eventually crash, whereas it would continue to work with the mirror in place.

Do not confuse things: a backup is a device for data integrity, a mirror is a device for data security. If you want only the one and not the other you can do what you described but to have both you should consider having three copies one of which you detach and set aside as backup.

Btw., i presume it would be easier and less cost-intensive to backup the conventional way and use tapes instead of this rather tricky setup. You will have a longer downtime if your system needs recovery (restoring from tape is slower than to activate the backup disk) but tapes are on average cheaper than disks and you can even store several generations of backups, which is not possible with one disk - you would need awful lots of disk drives for this which quickly makes it unfeasible.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Mirror solaris

Hi everyone. I have a Sun Solaris box which is running on only one internal disk and obviously that is not a good thing, if the disk should fail. This is a pritty straight forward operation in AIX, where my experties are. I have never done this in solaris and would therefore appriciate any help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprellari
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Disk Mirror in Solaris 9 via Solaris Volume Manager

Hello, I am trying to do mirror in solaris 9. I have total 0-7 disks 4 5 6 7 0 1 2 3 Drive 0 and Drive 4 = Boot Drives Need to Mirror following drives. Drive 1 and Drive 5 = Need to mirror Drive 1 was mounted on: /prod1, /prod2, /prod3, /prod4, /prod5. Then i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
3 Replies

3. Solaris

break solaris mirror

Hi All, How do I break the solaris 8 mirror? And how do I make sure I will point the first hd mirror on reboot. If the first break mirror won't boot. How do I make the copy mirror to boot? Thanks in advance, itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to create mirror disk in solaris machine?

hi, I'm newbie in Solaris 10. can someone explain me the steps of how to create mirror disk in Solaris machine. thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wong_Cilacap
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Create a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86

I’m setting up a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86. I’m used to doing it on SPARC, where you can copy the partition table using fmthard. My x86 boot disk has 2 primary partitions, a Solaris one and a diagnostic one. Is there a way to copy those 2 primary partitions to the second disk without... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris patching using mirror disk backup? need help!

hi friends, need help.. it is my first time patching using mirror disk backup approach, not so sure about the steps :confused: how do you detach, patch it, boot it and reattach it ? any kind soul here can advise ? thanks in advance..:) below is the information from my machine: Filesystem ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies
vxrootmir(1M)															     vxrootmir(1M)

NAME
vxrootmir - create a mirror of a Veritas Volume Manager root disk SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxrootmir [-g diskgroup] [-t tasktag] [-p Pool_1,Pool_2,...] [[-v] [-b] [-R] root_mirror] DESCRIPTION
The vxrootmir command creates mirrors of all of the volumes on a Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM) rootable boot disk, and makes the new disk bootable. A disk to be used as a mirror can be specified either by its VM disk name (disk media name) or by its device name (disk access name). If a disk media name is specified, it is validated to make sure that it exists and that it has been properly initialized. This validation includes making sure that the private region is at the same location and has the same length as the private region on the primary root disk, and that the sum of the lengths of all of the subdisks located on the primary root disk will fit within the available space in the public region of the specified disk. If a disk access name is specified, it is validated to make sure it exists and is not in use, and that the total length of all the subdisks on the primary root disk will fit within the public region. The disk is then initialized to contain a private region with the same offset and length as the private region on the primary root disk. A new disk media name is assigned to the disk formed from the prefix rootdisk followed by the next available number (for example, rootdisk02, rootdisk03, and so on). All volumes that have a subdisk on the primary VxVM root disk are mirrored on the specified disk. When the root volume (rootvol) is mir- rored, the vxassist command executes vxbootsetup to set up the new disk as a boot disk. The -p option allows you to mirror the volumes on the root disk as stripe columns across several disks. The argument to this option is a list of disks that are to be used for the stripe column mirrors. If not enough disks are specified, vxrootmir prints a message to the standard error output, including information on how many disks are required, and then exits. When initialized for VxVM use, these stripe column disks are named with the prefix rootaux followed by the next available number (for example, rootaux01, rootaux02, and so on). OPTIONS
-b If the system was booted from the VxVM root disk that is being mirrored, this option uses the setboot command to set the alter- nate boot disk to the specified mirror. If the system was booted from another root disk (such as an LVM root disk), an alternate root disk is not set. If the -v option is also specified, information is displayed on the current setboot settings, and on whether the alternate boot disk is set to the specified mirror. -g diskgroup Specifies the boot disk group. -p Pool_1,Pool_2,... Specifies the disks that are to be used for stripe column targets when mirroring the VxVM root disk. The disks can be specified either as disk access names, or as disk media names if they have previously been initialized for use with VxVM. If specified as disk access names, the disks are checked for existence, correct size, and availability for use. -R Indicates that only the volumes required to boot successfully from the new mirror are to be mirrored. -t tasktag Marks any tasks that are registered to track the progress of an operation with the tag tasktag. This option is passed to vxas- sist when mirroring volumes, so any child tasks are also tagged with tasktag. -v Displays verbose output including timestamps for operations in progress. This option is useful as mirroring large volumes can take a long time. ARGUMENTS
daname Specifies the disk to be used as a mirror by its disk access name (such as c0t2d0). dmname Specifies the disk to be used as a mirror by its disk media name (such as rootdisk03). EXAMPLES
This example shows the vxrootmir command being invoked in its simpliest form: /etc/vx/bin/vxrootmir c5t1d0 The next example shows how to use the -R option with vxrootmir. # /etc/vx/bin/vxrootmir -v -b -R c5t10d0 vxrootmir: 10:10: Gathering information on the current VxVM root configuration vxrootmir: 10:10: Checking specified disk(s) for usability vxrootmir: 10:10: Preparing disk c5t10d0 as a VxVM disk vxrootmir: 10:10: Adding disk c5t10d0 to rootdg as rootdisk02 vxrootmir: 10:10: Mirroring only volumes required for root mirror boot vxrootmir: 10:10: Mirroring volume standvol vxrootmir: 10:11: Mirroring volume swapvol vxrootmir: 10:18: Mirroring volume rootvol vxrootmir: 10:20: Current setboot values: vxrootmir: 10:20: Primary: 0/4/0/1.11.0 vxrootmir: 10:20: Alternate: 0/4/0/1.13.0 vxrootmir: 10:20: Making c5t10d0 (0/4/0/1.10.0) the alternate boot disk vxrootmir: 10:20: Disk c5t10d0 is now a mirrored root disk The final example shows how to specify a list of disks for use as stripe column mirrors: # /etc/vx/bin/vxrootmir -v -p c5t11d0,c5t12d0,c5t13d0 c5t10d0 vxrootmir: 12:11: Gathering information on the current VxVM root configuration vxrootmir: 12:11: Checking specified disk(s) for usability vxrootmir: 12:11: Preparing disk c5t10d0 as a VxVM disk vxrootmir: 12:11: Adding disk c5t10d0 to rootdg as rootdisk02 vxrootmir: 12:11: Preparing disk c5t11d0 as a VxVM disk vxrootmir: 12:11: Adding disk c5t11d0 to rootdg as DM rootstpm01 vxrootmir: 12:11: Preparing disk c5t12d0 as a VxVM disk vxrootmir: 12:11: Adding disk c5t12d0 to rootdg as DM rootstpm02 vxrootmir: 12:11: Preparing disk c5t13d0 as a VxVM disk vxrootmir: 12:11: Adding disk c5t13d0 to rootdg as DM rootstpm03 vxrootmir: 12:11: Mirroring all volumes on root disk vxrootmir: 12:11: Mirroring volume standvol vxrootmir: 12:12: Mirroring volume swapvol vxrootmir: 12:19: Mirroring volume rootvol vxrootmir: 12:21: Mirroring volume optvol vxrootmir: 12:24: Mirroring volume usrvol vxrootmir: 12:27: Mirroring volume homevol vxrootmir: 12:28: Mirroring volume tmpvol vxrootmir: 12:28: Mirroring volume varvol vxrootmir: 12:36: Disk c5t10d0 is now a mirrored root disk NOTES
If the vxrootmir command aborts for any reason, or if you interrupt the command during execution, an attempt is made to clean up the VxVM objects that had been generated up to the time of the abort or interruption. All mirror plexes that had already been added, or that were in the process of being added when the interruption occurred, are removed. All Data Media (DM) objects that were created are also removed. If a plex or a DM object cannot be removed, an explanatory message is displayed. SEE ALSO
setboot(1M), vxassist(1M), vxbootsetup(1M), vxintro(1M), vxmirror(1M), vxtask(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxrootmir(1M)