Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Changing only the first space to a tab in a space delimited text file Post 302759299 by evelibertine on Tuesday 22nd of January 2013 03:09:28 AM
Old 01-22-2013
Changing only the first space to a tab in a space delimited text file

Hi,

I have a space delimited text file but I only want to change the first space to a tab and keep the rest of the spaces intact. How do I go about doing that? Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for text in a Space delimited File

Hi I am trying to search a firewall syslog space delimeted file for all of the different tcp and udp destination ports. I know that grep will find lines that contain specific text. And I have tried using the the the cut command to cut out of the file certain colums. However the test I am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyblaylock
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting Space delimited file to Tab delimited file

Hi all, I have a file with single white space delimited values, I want to convert them to a tab delimited file. I tried sed, tr ... but nothing is working. Thanks, Rajeevan D (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeevs81
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging files into a single tab delimited file with a space separating

I have a folder that contains say 50 files in a sequential order: cdf_1.txt cdf_2.txt cdf_3.txt cdf_3.txt . . . cdf_50.txt. I need to merge these files in the same order into a single tab delimited file. I used the following shell script: for x in {1..50}; do cat cdf_${x}.txt >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting columns from a space delimited text file

I have a space delimited text file with 1,000,000+ columns and 100 rows. I want to delete columns 2 through 5 (2 and 5) included from the text file. How do I do that? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to echo space or tab delimited values into rows?

Hi, I have the following code: LIST=`ls | grep '.sql$'` echo $LIST The above code will give me something like.. file1.sh file2.sh file3.sh file4.sh file5.sh I want to display the values into rows using echo like... file1.sh file2.sh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap two rows in a space delimited text file?

Hi, How do you swap two rows in a space delimited text file? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make tab delimited file to space delimited?

Hi How to make tab delimited file to space delimited? in put file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl o/p file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl Use code tags, thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove alphabets/special characters/space in the 5th field of a tab delimited file?

Thank you for 4 looking this post. We have a tab delimited file where we are facing problem in a lot of funny character. I have tried using awk but failed that is not working. In the 5th field ID which is supposed to be a integer only of that file, we are getting corrupted data as below. I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srithar
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert space&tab delimited file to CSV?

Hello, I have a text file with space and tab (mixed) delimited file and need to convert into CSV. # cat test.txt /dev/rmt/tsmmt32 HP Ultrium 6-SCSI J3LZ 50:03:08:c0:02:72:c0:b5 F00272C0B5 0/0/6/1/1.145.17.255.0.0.0 /dev/rmt/c102t0d0BEST /dev/rmt/tsmmt37 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output file with <Tab> or <Space> Delimited

Input file: xyz,pqrs.lmno,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA abcd,pqrs.xyz,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA Expected Output: xyz pqrs.lmno NA NA NA NA NA NA NA abcd pqrs.xyz NA NA NA NA NA NA NA Command Tried so far: awk -F"," 'BEGIN{OFS=" ";} {print}' $File_Path/File_Name.csv Issue:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TechGyaann
5 Replies
XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)										 XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)

NAME
XmTabListInsertTabs -- A convenience function that inserts tabs into a tab list SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> XmTabList XmTabListInsertTabs( XmTabList oldlist, XmTab *tabs, Cardinal tab_count, int position); DESCRIPTION
XmTabListInsertTabs creates a new tab list that includes the tabs in oldlist. This function copies specified tabs to the tab list at the given position. The first tab_count tabs of the tabs array are added to the tab list. If oldlist is NULL, XmTabListInsertTabs creates a new tab list containing only the tabs specified. oldlist Specifies the tab list to add the tabs to. The function deallocates oldlist after extracting the required information. tabs Specifies a pointer to the tabs to be added to the tab list. It is the caller's responsibility to free the tabs in tabs by using XmTabFree. tab_count Specifies the number of tabs in tabs. position Specifies the position of the first new tab in the tab list. A value of 0 (zero) makes the first new tab the first tab in the tab list, a value of 1 makes it the second tab, and so on. If position is greater than the number of tabs in oldlist, then the tabs will be inserted at the end. If position is negative, the count will be backwards from the end. A value of -1 makes the first new tab the last tab, and so on. RETURN
If tabs is NULL or tab_count is 0 (zero), this function returns oldlist. Otherwise, it returns a new tab list. The function allocates space to hold the returned tab list. The application is responsible for managing the allocated space. The application can recover the allocated space by calling XmTabListFree. RELATED
XmTabList(3) and XmTabListFree(3). XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)