Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare multiple files, and extract items that are common to ALL files only Post 302757415 by vgersh99 on Thursday 17th of January 2013 12:45:48 PM
Old 01-17-2013
not all awk's support the delete array paradigm.
the workaround is: split("",array)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get common lines from multiple files

FileA chr1 31237964 NP_001018494.1 PUM1 M340L chr1 31237964 NP_055491.1 PUM1 M340L chr1 33251518 NP_037543.1 AK2 H191D chr1 33251518 NP_001616.1 AK2 H191D chr1 57027345 NP_001004303.2 C1orf168 P270S FileB chr1 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files

Hi, I'd like to process multiple files. For example: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Each file contains several lines of data. I want to extract a piece of data and output it to a new file. file1.txt ----> newfile1.txt file2.txt ----> newfile2.txt file3.txt ----> newfile3.txt Here is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare two files based on common field in unix

I have two files in UNIX. 1st file is Entity and Second File is References. 1st File has only one column named Entity ID and 2nd file has two columns Entity ID | Person ID. I want to produce a output file where entity id's are matching in both the files. Entity File 624197 624252 624264... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRS
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract common words from two/more csv files

I have two (or more, to make it generic) csv files. Each line contains words separated by comma. None of words have any space. The number of words per line is not fixed. Some may have one, and some may have 12... The number of lines per file is also not fixed. What I need is to find common words... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nick2011
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare a common field in two files and append a column from File 1 in File2

Hi Friends, I am new to Shell Scripting and need your help in the below situation. - I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - "Application handle" is the common field in both the files. (NOTE :- PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT "Compare files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two sample files and find common

Hi I have two sample files attached here one file contain entries in one column and second file contains entries in many columns I have to match entries of first file with entries in secon d file form secon column onwards and if matches write "match" in front of it. I tried several... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract common data out of multiple files

I am trying to extract common list of Organisms from different files For example I took 3 files and showed expected result. In real I have more than 1000 files. I am aware about the useful use of awk and grep but unaware in depth so need guidance regarding it. I want to use awk/ grep/ cut/... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: macmath
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files, identify common records and combine unique values into one file

Good morning all, I have a problem that is one step beyond a standard awk compare. I would like to compare three files which have several thousand records against a fourth file. All of them have a value in each row that is identical, and one value in each of those rows which may be duplicated... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nashton
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue with search and replacing multiple items in multiple files

Im having an issue when trying to replace the first column with a new set of values in multiple files. The results from the following code only replaces the files with the last set of values in val.txt. I want to replace all the files with all the values. for date in {1..31} do for val in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two files and print based on common variable value.

Hi All, i have below two files. FILE: NAME="/dev/sda" TYPE="disk" SIZE="60G" OWNER="root" GROUP="disk" MODE="brw-rw----" PKNAME="" MOUNTPOINT="" NAME="/dev/sda1" TYPE="part" SIZE="500M" OWNER="root" GROUP="disk" MODE="brw-rw----" PKNAME="/dev/sda" MOUNTPOINT="/boot" NAME="/dev/sda2"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
3 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)