Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Delete all words not containing letter /s/ Post 302755935 by pxalpine on Monday 14th of January 2013 06:20:12 PM
Old 01-14-2013
Delete all words not containing letter /s/

I have a word file that looks like:
Code:
pens
binder
spiral
user

I want to delete all the words without the letter /s/, so output looks like:
Code:
pens
spiral
user

I tried using sed:
Code:
sed '/[^Ss]/d' infile.txt > out.txt

The result is an empty text file... can anyone help?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find capital letter names in a file without finding words at start of sentence

Hi, I want to be able to list all the names in a file which begin with a capital letter, but I don't want it to list words that begin a new sentence. Is there any way round this? Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kev269
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to filter the words, if that word contains the expected letter

Hi, I am trying to filter the words from a file which contain 'abc'. But I am unable to. Could any one help me. For eg: The file contents are 123ab 12hnj1 123abc456 123cgbcahjkf23 23134abchfhj43 gc32abc abc1 2abc3 sd uiguif fhwe 21242 uh123 jkcas124d123 u3hdbh23u ffsd8 Output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_eie
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines that starts with a certain letter

How can I delete those lines that starts with a certain letter? abc def ghi xyz abc def ace gik moq abe imq gxm I want to delete the line that starts with "x". Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare 2 words (first and last letter only)

Hello, I need a script to do the following: I have a file filled of lines like: valu -> value confirmaton -> confirmation I need a script to compare the first and last letters of the words, for example for the line: valu -> value compare "v" to "v" and "u" to "e" and print the line... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bojomojo
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - delete words between two possible words

Hi all, I want to make an script using sed that removes everything between 'begin' (including the line that has it) and 'end1' or 'end2', not removing this line. Let me paste an 2 examples: anything before any string begin few lines of content end1 anything after anything before any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meuser
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete all characters that aren't a letter or number

hey :) if i have a variable that is example=lewisdenny(copywrite symbol) so its not a nomal letter but a symbol, how can i remove everything in the varible that isnt letter or number thanks :) and as a side little question do you know how to remove .zip from a file like if i ls... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewisdenny
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete the line if the first letter is a single digit

Hi, I'm trying to acheive the following, I have a dat file in which i have several addresses, If the address starts with a single digit then i have to delete the line, if it starts with 2 or more digits then i have to keep the line Here is a sample of my file: 377 CARRER DE LA... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make all words begin with capital letter?

I need to use bash to convert sentences where all words start with a small letter into one where all words start with a capital letter. So that a string like: are utilities ready for hurricane sandy becomes: Are Utilities Ready For Hurricane Sandy (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting all words that start with a capital letter in a string using python dictionary

Hi, I have written the following python snippet to store the capital letter starting words into a dictionary as key and no of its appearances as a value in this dictionary against the key. #!/usr/bin/env python import sys import re hash = {} # initialize an empty dictinonary for line in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove repeated letter words

Hi, I have this text file with these words and I need help with removing words with repeated letter from these lines. 1 ama 5 bib 29 bob 2 bub 5 civic 2 dad 10 deed 1 denned 335 did 1 eeee 1 eeeee 2 eke 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crepe6
4 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)