Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware /boot: how do I change the current kernel? Post 302755171 by stf92 on Saturday 12th of January 2013 03:56:22 AM
Old 01-12-2013
Corona, of course I have run the lilo command after updating the configuration file. But please do read the updated part of post #3.

About lilo, I do not know things like Grub, more sophisticated and friendly, but I stick to lilo for its simplicity.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Current Kernel Development

Information on current kernel development status & Compatibality Status. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
0 Replies

2. SCO

Wanting to boot from a previous kernel

I tried to add ppp on a serial line tty1b and I relink the kernel. Now, I would like to boot from the previous kernel because I lost the connexion for the others terminal (serial lines) too. I would appreciate any help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacctono
3 Replies

3. Programming

How to stop other processes and kernel from printing output on current virtual term

Hello All, Background ======== I am creating a virtual appliance console for a software stack on VMware ESXi. I am using Centos 5.x as the Linux distro (Guest OS). I have created a ncurses based application that does the user authentication and present him with some basic controls to do basic... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ku@ntum
2 Replies

4. BSD

kernel fail to boot after recompile it

Salamo Alikom after recompilation my kernel does not boot and display msg said : enter full path to bash : /bin/sh i try fsck -r ,fsck -y but the problem is steel . my make.conf : PERL_VER=5.8.8 OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f8 PERL_VERSION=5.8.8 MODULES_OVERRIDE = linux acpi accf_http pccard msdosfs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SIFE
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check what are the current kernel parameter settings

Hi all, I have four (4) different UNIX flavours and I want to know whether the following commands are correct with respect to wanting to check on what are my current kernel parameter settings. I just want to clear the doubts hanging over my head whether the commands below are the right ones... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Loading Kernel module at boot

Is there any link/tutorial on loading Solaris kernel modules at boot time?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: unisolin
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to display pid and other parameters of current process through kernel module ?

how to display pid and other parameters of current process in linux platform ? i know it can be done through a linux commmand ps -F but i want it done through kernel program thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New kernel won't boot

I compiled new kernel in linux 10.04 called linux-2.6.26.8-xenomai, it runs alongside the other kernel, but when I want to boot it I get an error message saying: Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev) ALERT! /dev/sda5 does not exist. After making the modules and headers I made the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdop
4 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Kernel boot options removed by fault, no boot options

Hello Everyone, First of all, I highly appreciate all Linux forum members and whole Linux community. http://forums.linuxmint.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif. I wish you the best for all of you ! I will try to be short and concise: I am using Linux Mint 10 for 2 months on 2 ws, and all went... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdt
3 Replies

10. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies
LILO(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   LILO(8)

NAME
lilo - install boot loader SYNOPSIS
Main function: /sbin/lilo - install boot loader Auxiliary uses: /sbin/lilo -q - query map /sbin/lilo -R - set default command line for next reboot /sbin/lilo -I - inquire path name of current kernel /sbin/lilo {-u|-U} - uninstall lilo DESCRIPTION
lilo installs a boot loader that will be activated next time you boot. It has lots of options. -v Increase verbosity. Giving one or more -v options will make lilo more verbose. -q List the currently mapped files. lilo maintains a file, by default /boot/map, containing the name and location of the kernel(s) to boot. This option will list the names therein. -m map-file Use specified map file instead of the default. -C config-file lilo reads its instructions about what files to map from its config file, by default /etc/lilo.conf. This option can be used to specify a non-default config file. -d delay If you have specified several kernels, and press Shift at boot-time, the boot loader will present you with a choice of which system to boot. After a timeout period the first kernel in the list is booted. This option specifies the timeout delay in deciseconds. -D label Use the kernel with the given label, instead of the first one in the list, as the default kernel to boot. -r root-directory Before doing anything else, do a chroot to the indicated directory. Used for repairing a setup from a boot floppy. -t Test only. Do not really write a new boot sector or map file. Use together with -v to find out what lilo is about to do. -c Enable map compaction. This will merge read requests from adjacent sectors. Speeds up the booting (especially from floppy). -f disk-tab Specify disk geometry parameter file. (The default is /etc/disktab.) -i boot-sector Specify a file to be used as the new boot sector. (The default is /boot/boot.b.) -l Generate linear sector addresses instead of sector/head/cylinder addresses. -L Generate 32-bit Logical Block Addresses instead of C:H:S addresses, allowing access to all partitions on disks greater than 8.4Gb. -P {fix|ignore} Fix (or ignore) `corrupt' partition tables, i.e., partition tables with linear and sector/head/cylinder addresses that do not corre- spond. -s save-file When lilo overwrites the boot sector, it preserves the old contents in a file, by default /boot/boot.NNNN where NNNN depends on the device. This option specifies an alternate save file for the boot sector. (Or, together with the -u option, specifies from where to restore the boot sector.) -S save-file Normally, lilo will not overwrite an existing save file. This options says that overwriting is allowed. -u device-name Uninstall lilo, by copying the saved boot sector back. A time-stamp is checked. -U device-name Idem, but do not check the time-stamp. -R command line This option sets the default command for the boot loader the next time it executes. The boot loader will then erase this line: this is a once-only command. It is typically used in reboot scripts, just before calling `shutdown -r'. -I label The label of the running kernel can be found in the environment variable BOOT_IMAGE after startup. This command will print the cor- responding path name on stdout. -V Print version number. The above command line options correspond to the key words in the config file indicated below. -b bootdev boot=bootdev -c compact -d dsec delay=dsec -D label default=label -i bootsector install=bootsector -f file disktab=file -l linear -L lba32 -m mapfile map=mapfile -P fix fix-table -P ignore ignore-table -s file backup=file -S file force-backup=file -v verbose=level SEE ALSO
lilo.conf(5). The lilo distribution comes with very extensive documentation. AUTHOR
Werner Almesberger (almesber@bernina.ethz.ch). John Coffman (johninsd@san.rr.com) (lba32 extensions). 20 March 2000 LILO(8)