Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Make all words begin with capital letter? Post 302752903 by Yoda on Monday 7th of January 2013 05:48:46 PM
Old 01-07-2013
In BASH using tr command:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

for words in are utilities ready for hurricane sandy
do
   for((i=0;i<${#words};i++))
   do
     if [ $i -eq 0 ]
     then
         echo -e "${words:$i:1}\c" | tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]'
     else
         echo -e "${words:$i:1}\c"
     fi
   done
   echo -e " \c"
done
echo -e "\n"

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transformation capital letter

:confused: Hye everybody i would like to know if exist a internet site where i can founs some interesting shell script very usefull I need to transform hundreds names of files escribed in CAPITAL letter in minuscule letter do oyu know a mean o do that that thanks to a script or a shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dark Angel
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find capital letter names in a file without finding words at start of sentence

Hi, I want to be able to list all the names in a file which begin with a capital letter, but I don't want it to list words that begin a new sentence. Is there any way round this? Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kev269
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for words with capital leters

Hi, I just want to search a file for any words containng a capital letter and then display these words only as a list I have been trying grep but to no has not helped.(im using the bash shell) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: djdaniel3
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting day to capital letter...

Hello, I am receiving a file every day as this format. Since today is friday, the format is, PGI_STG_FRIDAY14.TXT. I need to write the shell script to check if this file exist in folder... I am using date format.. export DATE=`date '+%A'` echo $DATE The output is Friday But i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] check if chars is a capital letter and translate it

how can i check if read -n 1 LETTER; LETTER is a capital letter and after translate in minuscule. i have thought with: tr or no? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafazzi87
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match groups of capital words using gawk

Hi I'd like to extract from a text file, using gawk, the groups of words beginning with a capital letter, that are not at the begining of a sentence (i.e. Not after a full stop and a pace ". "), including special characters like registered or trademark (® or ™ ). For example I would like to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: louisJ
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting all words that start with a capital letter in a string using python dictionary

Hi, I have written the following python snippet to store the capital letter starting words into a dictionary as key and no of its appearances as a value in this dictionary against the key. #!/usr/bin/env python import sys import re hash = {} # initialize an empty dictinonary for line in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk gensub, match capital words and lowercase words

Hi I have strings like these : Vengeance mitt Men Vengeance gloves Women Quatro Windstopper Etip gloves Quatro Windstopper Etip gloves Girls Thermobite hooded jacket Thermobite Triclimate snow jacket Boys Thermobite Triclimate snow jacket and I would like to get the lower case words at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace the first letter of each line by a capital

Hi, I need to replace, as the title says, the first letter of each line (when it's not a number) by the same letter, but capital. For instance : hello Who 123pass Would become : Hello Who 123pass Is there a way with sed to do that ? Or other unix command ? Thank you :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganon551
7 Replies
jvocuhadju(1L)															    jvocuhadju(1L)

NAME
jvocuhadju - Lujvo picker (based on the rules in the reference grammar.) SYNOPSIS
jvocuhadju [-v] [-a] [-l] tanru-component-1 [ ... tanru-component-n ] DESCRIPTION
jvocuhadju is a program that reads a list of tanru-components (gismu or cmavo) on the command line, and constructs the possible short-form lujvo corresponding to those components in sequence. The possible lujvo are displayed ranked in order of desirability, with their scores shown based on the algorithm in the reference grammar. The lowest score is best. Where a tanru-component is a cmavo containing an apostrophe, the apostrophe may be replaced by the letter "h" on the command line. This is a convenience to avoid having to backslash-escape the apostrophe to hide it from the shell. OPTIONS
-v Show the program version and exit. -a List all possible lujvo for the input tanru (default is just the best 8). -l Allow 4/5 letter rafsi to be picked even if a 3 letter form is available for any particular tanru component. tanru-component-k This is a gismu or cmavo which is one component of the word. Cmavo must have a rafsi corresponding to them. SEE ALSO
jbofihe Checks Lojban grammar checker and provides English translations of the individual words. cmafihe Provides English translations of Lojban words in the input, without checking the grammar. Useful for getting a rough translation of grammatically invalid text. FILES
BUGS
ju'oru'e so'imei (Surely there are many). REFERENCES
http://go.to/jbofihe Home page for the jbofihe project http://www.lojban.org/ Home page of the Lojban community http://www.rrbcurnow.freeuk.com/lojban/ My Lojban page. AUTHOR
Richard Curnow <rpc@myself.com> April 2000 jvocuhadju(1L)