Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Move all files with pattern in filename Post 302750269 by DGPickett on Monday 31st of December 2012 10:32:52 AM
Old 12-31-2012
Never say never. Driving edit with script might work. PERL is another direction that can help, but that's pretty close to going with VB, C, C++, JAVA. Busybox looks very interesting: BusyBox - The Swiss Army Knife of Embedded Linux

I got the w32 binary version of busybax, and it works really nice: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5943991/busybox-w32/busybox.exe

Last edited by DGPickett; 01-02-2013 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: expans

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to move files into different folders based on filename

I need to move a bunch of files into folders that have the same name. I wanted to either do this with some filter command or some type of batch file that I could save that would already include all of the mv commands since I will have to do this process often. Whatever method you think is easier. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: italia5
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move files based on Pattern don't work

Hi people, i need you help on this if you can. I have a script that does the move command when it searches for a that doesn't match the pattern. This Pattern is on a list. When it run's and doesn´t found no files but it haves 2 more folders it moves the folders too. Ex:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: osramos
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move file based on filename

Hi All I need a script to manipulate files based on a filename: example filename: 66600_042706.pdf the script will create a directory 66000 only if this directory is not existing. If that directory is existing it will just move the file to 66000/666000_042706.pdf in addition, i want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemestech
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files based on date in filename

I know this gets covered quite a bit in the forum and I think there is enough there for me to figure out how to do what I am trying to do, I just don't think I would do it very efficiently so I am going to ask the question... I have database log files with date and time stamps in the file like ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slatoms
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

move files according to dated filename

hi, i am new to linux and stuck to moving files according to filename. i have PDF files, named like 20110131_125023.pdf (YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS.pdf) i want to move those files to the subfolders YYYY/MM/ on monthly basis. thanks for any help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igmox
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files from source to destination directory based on the filename

Move all files starting with a specific name to different directory. This shell script program should have three parameters File Name Source Directory Destination Directory User should be able to enter ‘AB_CD*' in file name parameter. In this case all the files starting with AB_CD will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files based on specific MMDDYYYY pattern in filename

Hi Unix gurus, I am trying to remove the filenames based on MMDDYYYY in the physical name as such so that the directory always has the recent 3 files based on MMDDYYYY. "HHMM" is just dummy in this case. You wont have two files with different HHMM on the same day. For example in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankar1dada
4 Replies
gnome-search-tool(1)						   User Commands					      gnome-search-tool(1)

NAME
gnome-search-tool - search for files SYNOPSIS
gnome-search-tool [--named=text] [--path=folder] [--sortby=order] [--descending] [--contains=string] [--user=user] [--nouser] [--allmounts] [--empty] [--follow] [--group=group] [--hidden] [--mtimeless=date] [--mtimemore=date] [--notnamed=filename] [--regex=pattern] [--size- less=size] [--sizemore=size] [--start] [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
The Search for Files application enables you to search for files on your system. Search for Files uses the find(1) command. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --allmounts Select the 'Search other filesystems' search constraint. --contains=string Select the 'Contains the text' search constraint and set the text of that entry. Use a full filename or a partial filename with wildcards. See find(1) for more details about using wildcards. --descending Set sort order to descending. The default sort order is ascending. --empty Select the 'File is empty' search constraint. --follow Select the 'Follow symbolic links' search constraint. --group=group Select the 'Owned by group' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --hidden Select the 'Show hidden and backup files' search option. --mtimeless=date Select the 'Date modified before (days)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --mtimemore=date Select the 'Date modified after (days)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --named=text Set the text of the 'Name contains' search option. --notnamed=filename Select the 'File is not named' search constraint and set the text of that entry. Use a full filename or a partial filename with wildcards. See find(1) for more details about using wildcards. --nouser Select the 'Owner is unrecognized' search constraint. --path=folder Set the text of the 'Look in folder' entry. Defaults to the current working directory. --start Automatically start a search. --regex=pattern Select the 'File matches regular expression' search constraint and set the text of that entry. See find(1) for more details about the regular expression patterns that can be used. --sizeless=size Select the 'Size is less than (kilobytes)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --sizemore=size Select the 'Size is more than (kilobytes)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --sortby=order Sort files by one of the following: name, folder, size, type, or date. --user=user Select the 'Owned by user' search constraint and set the text of that entry. gnome-std-options Standard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Performing a basic search automatically example% gnome-search-tool --name=a.out --path=$HOME --autostart Example 2: Performing an advanced search automatically example% gnome-search-tool --contains=unistd.h --mtimeless=3 --sortby=size --autostart EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-search-tool Executable for Search for Files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-search-tool | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Search for Files Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. find(1), gnome-std-options(5) NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2006. SunOS 5.11 2 Oct 2003 gnome-search-tool(1)