Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Centos 5.8 video driver problem Post 302749893 by TUX servers on Sunday 30th of December 2012 12:38:22 AM
Old 12-30-2012
Centos 5.8 video driver problem

i have an older server from about 2001 i was given. i recently lost the OS drive on the system and dicided to go to linux instead of windows. i have tried open suse, centos and both do just about the same thing. they boot fine then they go into installing drivers it hits vidio driver then another line pops up after that for <=1sec then blanks out. i left it run for about 5 min on both os thinking mayby normal install, but still no video. the chip is a cirus logic cl-gd54m30. i looked all over for drivers for it, but everything is for windows. is there any way i can bypass this and just use the genaric driver it uses when it boots? it's just a home use file server so as long as ther is video it will be fine.

here are some specs on the system if it helps
Code:
unisys aquanta ES: 2000 series 2 dual CPU intel PIII xeon @500 mhz, ram max 1GB, SCSI ultra-2 SE
video= cirus logic cl-gd54m30[-I-AC-A] (part in bracets don't seem to relate to madel# usaly saw it as gd54m30)
SCSI controler= 2X adaptec aic 7890 AB
network= intel sb82558b
IDE controler= apears to be a national PC97307

can anyone tell me how i could bypass this vidio driver loading, or somewhare to look for a linux driver for it or a universal linux vidio driver.
also does anyone think that i'll have isues with any of these other devices?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 12-30-2012 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: code tags

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ATI Video Driver

I recent got a Compaq Presario with Vista Installed. I reformatted the drive and loaded Redhat Fedora. It runs well except I can only get 800 X 600 resolution. The motherboard has integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 graphics and I cannot locate a linux driver for that chipset. Any ideas? Thanks.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flacker
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem of networking in centos

Hello, I am using dual boot of linux, one is ubuntu and the other is one is centos. I have three NIC's and only one of them connected with cable. The thing is that when I boot from the ubuntu, it does recognize it and I am connected to the Internet. When I boot from the centos I am not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
6 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Driver problem with Ubuntu 10.10

I have a Dell laptop with Ubuntu 10.10 installed in it. The headphone driver is not supportive in my system but it works really well with other laptops like HP. So my question is that does Ubuntu 10.10 in Dell does not work? Moreover, if i upgrade my system later with 11.04, will the problem... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: poonam.gaigole
8 Replies

4. Hardware

Difference between platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver

In general terms what are the differences platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Bluetooth problem in CentOS 6

Hi , I have install centos6.3 64bit, other things are working fine.:b: I am trying to use bluetooth. It is showing bluetooth icons and options only turn on and turn off bletooth.:confused: How to enable full features of bluetooth like search, send file etc.:wall: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priy
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Need video driver package for Solaris 11

I'm trying to install Solaris on my laptop for training purposes. It recognizes all the hardware except for the Intel Mobile 4 Series (GMA 4500m) video controller. Wikipedia says that Solaris 11 does support Mobile 4 Series controllers but for some reason it doesn't have the driver for it out... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikaido
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem with cluster on centos 6.5

Hallo to everyone.From sometime i have problems with my asterisk pbx on cent os which is in corosync cluster mode with resource groups.The problem is for time the cluster just swap the active one with the other and the only messages in \var\log\messages is that bond0:link status defenitly down for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: evolintend
0 Replies
VESA(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   VESA(4)

NAME
vesa - Generic VESA video driver SYNOPSIS
Section "Device" Identifier "devname" Driver "vesa" ... EndSection DESCRIPTION
vesa is an Xorg driver for generic VESA video cards. It can drive most VESA-compatible video cards, but only makes use of the basic stan- dard VESA core that is common to these cards. The driver supports depths 8, 15 16 and 24. SUPPORTED HARDWARE
The vesa driver supports most VESA-compatible video cards. There are some known exceptions, and those should be listed here. CONFIGURATION DETAILS
Please refer to xorg.conf(5) for general configuration details. This section only covers configuration details specific to this driver. The driver auto-detects the presence of VESA-compatible hardware. The ChipSet name may optionally be specified in the config file "Device" section, and will override the auto-detection: "vesa" The following driver Options are supported: Option "ShadowFB" "boolean" Enable or disable use of the shadow framebuffer layer. Default: on. This option is recommended for performance reasons. Option "ModeSetClearScreen" "boolean" Clear the screen on mode set. Some BIOSes seem to be broken in the sense that the newly set video mode is bogus if they are asked to clear the screen during mode setting. If you experience problems try to turn this option off. Default: on. SEE ALSO
Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5), Xserver(1), X(7) AUTHORS
Authors include: Paulo Ce'sar Pereira de Andrade. X Version 11 xf86-video-vesa 2.3.1 VESA(4)