Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Return variable value from a script running in background Post 302748745 by Shaishav Shah on Thursday 27th of December 2012 12:48:22 AM
Old 12-27-2012
Thanks dude.

Though I already tried this approach by redirecting output to TEMP.sh from the script running in background and then calling ./TEMP.sh from the script running in forground.

Though thanks for your input. SmilieSmilie

TR,
Shaishav

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to export a variable from a child process running in background to the parent

Hi All, I have a script which calls a child script with a parameter to be run in the background . childscript.ksh $a & Can any one suggest me how do i export a variable from the child script to parent script? Note that the child script is in background If the child script is in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop the script which is running in background

Hi I have a script, which i ran in background, can someone please help in stopping this. i gave this command: ksh abc.ksh & this script sends me a mail every 30 seconds. i have deleted the script but still i am getting the mails. can some one please help me stopping dese. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send a new value to a variable in a running background process

Hi guys, I have a issue with a background process, I need to update the value of a variable in that process which is running at this time and it will be running for at least 2 days. Any idea? I will apreciate your help. regards. Razziel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: razziel
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running the Script in Background.

Gurus, Pls. help on this to run the script in background. I have a script to run the informatica workflows using PMCMD in script. Say the script name is test.sh & Parameters to the script is Y Y Y Y The no of parameters to the bove script is 4. all are going to be a flags. Each flag will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhutkl
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running script in background

When I run the following snippet in background #!/bin/ksh while do echo "$i" sleep 10 i=`expr $i + 1` done My job got stopped and it says like + Stopped (SIGTTOU) ex1 & I did "stty tostop" as suggested in many of the post but still not working... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect_out buffer no such variable running script background

I am trying to use send and receive using expect. the expect_out(buffer) is working fine while it is running it as foreground. But the same script when it is ran as background, the expect_out(buffer) errored out. Is there any factor influence when we run script in foreground and in background? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

running the script in background

I have a script called startWebLogic.sh which I was running in the background but the problem is which I used the command :- ps -elf | grep "startWebLogic.sh" | grep -v grep to find the process id but I was unable to find the process id for this script and when I checked from the front end the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maitree
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export variable to another script running in background

i have a script inside which i have generated a background job which will run another script. How do i export the variables from parent script to the child script which wil run in the background . a.sh:- export tmpdir="/usr/tmp" nohup b.sh& b.sh:- echo $tmpdir But... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: millan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script in background

Hi, I wrote a KSH script and running it on HP-UX machine I am running one script in background. My script is at location $HOME/myScript/test/background_sh When I view my script in background with psu commend > psu | grep background_sh I see following output UID PID PPID C ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhav
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return from background process and check if it is running or not?

Hi Team, i am executing 3 scripts in background from 1 script and i want to send a message once the script gets completed.these scripts usually takes 1 hr to complete. My sample script is below, Vi abc.sh sh /opt/data/Split_1.sh & sh /opt/data/Split_2.sh & sh /opt/data/Split_3.sh & ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
3 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.18.2 2009-11-23 Test::Script(3)