Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read File and check records for length Post 302746445 by mrn6430 on Wednesday 19th of December 2012 10:30:56 AM
Old 12-19-2012
Wrench Read File and check records for length

I need a script that will run in unix to:

1) Read and input file with 1 column that contains for ex:
...etc
2) Checks the first column if it is:
a. Numeric from 0 - 9
b. if it is not less than 10 digits in length delete it from the file and put it in a deleted.bad file.

Please help as i have to do this asap.

Thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read file and remove max length

Hi all, I tried to write a shell to read huge file and eliminate max length record which is wrong generated record. But I get an error remove_sp.sh: line 27: syntax error near unexpected token `else' remove_sp.sh: line 27: ` else $LINE >> REJFILE' My shell is here: #!/bin/sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read records from a file

Hi all, I have a requirement where I need to read records one by one from a file. I have tried this below code: while read mLine do echo 'Line = '${mLine} done < input_file --- But the problem here is im getting the records with removed spaces. --Supposer if the record is like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on num of records in file1 need to check records in file2 to set some condns

Hi All, I have two files say file1 and file2. I want to check the number of records in file1 and if its atleast 2 (i.e., 2 or greater than 2 ) then I have to check records in file2 .If records in file2 is atleast 1 (i.e. if its not empty ) i have to set some conditions . Could you pls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read fixed length flat file....

Hi Gurus, Thanks in advance... I am new to writing shell scripting and help me out reading a flat file with fixed length. I have a fixed length flat file with storename(lenth 6) , emailaddress(lenth 15), location(10). There is NO delimiters in that file. Like the following str00001.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: willywilly
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to reduce the length of records in a file?

I have a file with 400 characters How can I create another file with only a portion of them (like 300 within 400) and get rid of the rest? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fafchi
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read each 2 records from a file

Hi, I have 10000 records in my test.dat file All records are under the following format a,12,45,bn,c a,16,46,bn1,c a,18,47,bn2,c a,12,47,bn3,c a,11,49,bn4,c I have to read each 2 records and assign it into a temp file .Can anybody help me in this? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check if a file has zero records

I want to do conditional logic on whether a file has 0 bytes or more than 0 bytes. what is the easiest way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for length which exceeds specified length in a line

Hi, I have a issue, I need to loop through a comma delimited file and check for the length which exceeds specified length , if Yes truncate the string. But my problem is , I do not have to check for all the fields and the field lenght is not same for all the fields. For ex: Say my line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a particular records from a file?

Hi All Can anybody let me know the code to read a particular record from a file For e.g. File Name: File.txt File content: Script_path=/abc/def/script/ File_path=/xyz/data/ Business Date=19990905 SERVER_NAME=Server DATABASE_NAME=Database Login=NewUser Password=NewPassword ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddhartha9833
3 Replies
read_allocate(3)						  Staden Package						  read_allocate(3)

NAME
read_allocate, read_deallocate - Allocate and deallocate the Read structure. SYNOPSIS
#include <Read.h> Read *read_allocate( int num_points, int num_bases); void read_deallocate( Read *read); DESCRIPTION
These functions create and destroy Read structures. The Read structure is a generalised in-memory data structure used for holding trace data information. read_allocate() creates a Read structure large enough to hold num_points trace sample points and num_bases called bases. The allocated data is then initialised to appropriate defaults, which are mainly zeros and null pointers. read_deallocate() destroys a previously created Read structure. It is not sufficient to simply use the free() call instead. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, the read_allocate() function returns a pointer to a Read structure. Otherwise this function returns a null pointer. The read_deallocate() function returns no value. SEE ALSO
read_reading(3), fread_reading(3), write_reading(3), fwrite_reading(3) read_allocate(3)