Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions DOS Equivalent of UNIX Command Post 302746403 by RudiC on Wednesday 19th of December 2012 09:29:42 AM
Old 12-19-2012
I agree with bipinajith - can't be done in DOS.
But - you can replace the standard command interpreter (command.com in older versions) by sth. like complus.com (a unix-like cmd interpr. for MS OSes) or the sh.exe found in Unxutils.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about DOS versus Unix Command?

Okay here is a DOS comparison. When I search for a file in DOS and I was not sure what directory it was in then I would put dir /s/o/p filename the s would tell it to look in every directory including subs, the o would sort it alphabetically and the p would limit the display to one page at a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

SQL Spool equivalent command in DOS

This question maybe in the wrong category but I'm posting here due to urgency. In DOS is there a command to perform a similar function to spool command in SQL or Script command in UNIX? I want to print all command line output to a file but I don't want to use the echo command for each line. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command equivalent to DOS mode for SCO 5.0.6

I need to set the serial port attributes to 9600,7,E,1 in order to read and write data to it from within a Foxpro program. Unfortunately there is no function in Foxpro to set the line attributes, only open. close read and write. Stty only works on the stdout and stdin in this release, and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Equivalent command for setlocal in Unix

Hi all, Is there any command in unix equivalent to setlocal in windows. setlocal command is really useful in restoring local environment variables in windows. Thanks, Sonal. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonaluphale
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix equivalent of DOS set

Hi all, what is the equivalent command of the DOS set that lists all the environment variable and their values? Xavier. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxavier
3 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

what is the DOS equivalent of alias command?

how do we create aliases to commands in dos? thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows command shell equivalent in Unix

In Windows we use cmd.exe \c as the command SHell What is its equivalent in UNIX ? Thanx for all your help. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonsimon
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command for unix to dos conversion

Dear All Could you please advice how do we convert a unix file to dos I know one command,ux2dos, which somehow does not work to give desired output Inputs on this is appreciated Thanks, Suresh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
3 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

dos/intel unix command equivalent

In Unix I can use command line to do a find for files older than so many days and remove them. I can also capture the date to see if its a saturday and do something different. Are there any dos/intel command line equivalent commands to do this on a windows 2003 server? This is from an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP Equivalent of the unix command

Hi Can any one please let me know which will be the PHP equivalent of the below Unix statement, curl -H "Content-type: application/json" -H "Accept: application/json" --data-binary '{"text" : "how to check the temperature?"}' -H "X-JaskUid:111" -X POST "www.google.com/res"'Thanks in advance!! ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
0 Replies
unknown(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							unknown(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
unknown - Handle attempts to use non-existent commands SYNOPSIS
unknown cmdName ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is invoked by the Tcl interpreter whenever a script tries to invoke a command that does not exist. The default implementation of unknown is a library procedure defined when Tcl initializes an interpreter. You can override the default unknown to change its func- tionality, or you can register a new handler for individual namespaces using the namespace unknown command. Note that there is no default implementation of unknown in a safe interpreter. If the Tcl interpreter encounters a command name for which there is not a defined command (in either the current namespace, or the global namespace), then Tcl checks for the existence of an unknown handler for the current namespace. By default, this handler is a command named ::unknown. If there is no such command, then the interpreter returns an error. If the unknown command exists (or a new handler has been registered for the current namespace), then it is invoked with arguments consisting of the fully-substituted name and arguments for the original non-existent command. The unknown command typically does things like searching through library directories for a command proce- dure with the name cmdName, or expanding abbreviated command names to full-length, or automatically executing unknown commands as sub-pro- cesses. In some cases (such as expanding abbreviations) unknown will change the original command slightly and then (re-)execute it. The result of the unknown command is used as the result for the original non-existent command. The default implementation of unknown behaves as follows. It first calls the auto_load library procedure to load the command. If this succeeds, then it executes the original command with its original arguments. If the auto-load fails then unknown calls auto_execok to see if there is an executable file by the name cmd. If so, it invokes the Tcl exec command with cmd and all the args as arguments. If cmd cannot be auto-executed, unknown checks to see if the command was invoked at top-level and outside of any script. If so, then unknown takes two additional steps. First, it sees if cmd has one of the following three forms: !!, !event, or ^old^new?^?. If so, then unknown carries out history substitution in the same way that csh would for these constructs. Finally, unknown checks to see if cmd is a unique abbreviation for an existing Tcl command. If so, it expands the command name and executes the command with the original arguments. If none of the above efforts has been able to execute the command, unknown generates an error return. If the global variable auto_noload is defined, then the auto-load step is skipped. If the global variable auto_noexec is defined then the auto-exec step is skipped. Under nor- mal circumstances the return value from unknown is the return value from the command that was eventually executed. EXAMPLE
Arrange for the unknown command to have its standard behavior except for first logging the fact that a command was not found: # Save the original one so we can chain to it rename unknown _original_unknown # Provide our own implementation proc unknown args { puts stderr "WARNING: unknown command: $args" uplevel 1 [list _original_unknown {*}$args] } SEE ALSO
info(n), proc(n), interp(n), library(n), namespace(n) KEYWORDS
error, non-existent command Tcl unknown(n)