Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers See the files and but can't find where it is Post 302745905 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 18th of December 2012 10:44:17 AM
Old 12-18-2012
Well, could you explain what the problem you are having with it actually is? It could be that there is a directory with tar in the name somewhere, and ls will show you the contents of the directory by default.

Try:-
Code:
ls -ld *tar*

... and see if that helps. If not, post the output and say what you are expecting.

I hope that this helps.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files older than 20 days & not use find

I need to find files that have the ending of .out and that are older than 20 days. However, I cannot use find as I do not want to search in the directories that are underneath the directory that I am searching in. How can this be done?? Find returns files that I do not want. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: halo98
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I know find syntax to find given date files

Hi All, Can i use find command to know given date files? If yes, then please let me know the syntax for the same. Thanks in advance for your postive responses Regards, Bachegowda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Rename files using (find mv and sed)

In response to a closed thread for degraff63 at https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/108882-using-mv-find-exec.html the following command might do it as some shells spit it without the "exec bash -c " part: Find . -name "*.model" -exec bash -c "mv {} \`echo {} | sed -e 's//_/g'\`"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupert160
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the find to command to find the files created last 30 days

what is the find to command to find the files created last 30 days (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find Search - Find files not matching a pattern

Hello all, this is my first and probably not my last question around here. I do hope you can help or at least point me in the right direction. My question is as follows, I need to find files and possible folders which are not owner = AAA group = BBB with a said location and all sub folders ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kilobyter
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to find a word from list of files

I need to find a word '% Retail by State' in the folder /usr/sas/reports/RetailSalesTaxallocation. When I tried like below, -bash-4.1$ cd /usr/sas/reports/RetailSalesTaxallocation -bash-4.1$ find ./ -name % Retail by State find: paths must precede expression: Retail Usage: find ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram Kumar_BE
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find -ctime -1 cannot find files without extention

The problem is this one. I tar and gzip files on remote server Code: find . -ctime -1 | tar -cvf transfer_dmz_start_daily.tar *${Today}*.*; Command Code: find . -ctime -1 Doesn't find files without extension Code: .csv .txt I have to collect all files for current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

find -ctime -1 cannot find files without extention

The problem is this one. I tar and gzip files on remote server find . -ctime -1 | tar -cvf transfer_dmz_start_daily.tar *${Today}*.*; Command find . -ctime -1 Doesn't find files without extension .csv .txt I have to collect all files for current day, when the program... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies
unp(1)							      General Commands Manual							    unp(1)

NAME
unp - a shell frontend for uncompressing/unpacking tools SYNOPSIS
unp [-u] file [ files ... ] [ -- backend args ... ] ucat file [ files ... ] unp is a small script with only one goal: Extract as many archives as possible, of any kind and from any path to the current directory, preserving the subdirectory structure where needed. Is a Do-What-I-Want utility and helps managing several extraction programs without looking for needed options for the particular tool or worrying about the installation of the needed program. Run unp without arguments to see the list of supported archive formats. The special version ucat acts as wrapper for commands that can output the extracted data to standard output, like bzip (bzcat), gzip (zcat), tar, zip and others. USAGE
unp extracts one or more files given as arguments on the command line. Additionally, it may pass some options to the backend tools (like tar options) when they are appended after `--'. There is also a special option (-u) which is very useful for extracting Debian packages. Using -u, unp extracts the package (i.e. the ar archive) first, then extracts data.tar.gz in the current directory and then control.tar.gz in control/<filename>/. NOTES
unp will try to decompress into a FILE.unp if it get trouble with existing files. But don't count on this feature, always look for free working space before using unp. Unlike gunzip, which decompresses the file in the target directory of the source file, unp uses the current directory for output. AUTHOR
Development started by Andre Karwath <andre.karwath@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> Now maintained and packaged for Debian by Eduard Bloch <blade@debian.org> 18 Feb 2001 unp(1)