Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep problem Post 302745023 by vgersh99 on Sunday 16th of December 2012 10:20:46 AM
Old 12-16-2012
Code:
ls -1 *asd* |wc -l

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep problem

Hi I would like to know wheather there is anyway to pass a variable to grep argument like this grep "$myvar" $myfile i would put this in a function and then call this function by setting different values to myvar and myfile. is this possible at all. regards Hrishy (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Problem

I have a large file that I am grepping to find a certain string. grep 'C:\Data\Directory\Test.txt' test.txt It can not find it even though I know it is in there . I know that there is a problem with the backslashes but I can't get it to work. I tried grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep problem

Hi there, this is a very simple question. When I do grep -c "PWD" filename, I get 5. This means the filename contains 5 lines of "PWD" occurence. I tried to assign to a variable. int= grep -c "PWD" filename When I typed echo $int The output: 5 I get an empty line space. Now I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

GREP problem

I have a problem. Suppose I have a log named transport.log >> tp finished with return code: 203 meaning: wrong syntax in tp call .... tp finished with return code: 0 meaning: Everything ok. << What i want to do is to get the return code of the 1st one. So I would probably do:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdyzsa
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Grep problem

Changed Problem its a sed actually... Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Use a sed command to create an output file from the input file. The input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skalidindi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with grep |

Hi, When i try this it is not executing either result or total, pls can any one help me in this. max=month_134.log grep result|total $max > log.txt In month_134.log, it should contain either result or total and then send it to log.txt.It should execute result or total in log.txt ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NehaKrish
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with grep

Hi I am trying to grep a string in a directory which is having 5000 files. PA>> grep -iH 'linc.unisure_pr13n' * bash: /usr/bin/grep: Arg list too long I am getting the error. i also tried PA>> ls -ltr | grep -iH 'linc.unisure_pr13n' * but still i am getting the error Please Advice... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhotech
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep problem

Hi everyone i am facing a strange problem in grep below is the code RC=0 grep $ERROR_MASK $LOG_FILE 2>&1 > /dev/null && RC=1 || RC=0 what does the above statment do i mean it search for error mask into log file and redirect the error to console null then what's the meaning of RC=1 ||... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with grep

I have the following ksh #!/bin/ksh file=$OBS_APP_PATH/config/com/uhg/obs/inbound/configs/XMLFile_ServiceFeeDetail.xml echo $file cntWrd=0 echo $cntWrd cntWrd= grep -c '<serviceFee>' $file echo $cntWrd while executing the above im getting the following error msg:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balesh
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies
Fields(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       Fields(3pm)

NAME
Sort::Fields - Sort lines containing delimited fields SYNOPSIS
use Sort::Fields; @sorted = fieldsort [3, '2n'], @lines; @sorted = fieldsort '+', [-1, -3, 0], @lines; $sort_3_2n = make_fieldsort [3, '2n'], @lines; @sorted = $sort_3_2n->(@lines); DESCRIPTION
Sort::Fields provides a general purpose technique for efficiently sorting lists of lines that contain data separated into fields. Sort::Fields automatically imports two subroutines, "fieldsort" and "make_fieldsort", and two variants, "stable_fieldsort" and "make_sta- ble_fieldsort". "make_fieldsort" generates a sorting subroutine and returns a reference to it. "fieldsort" is a wrapper for the "make_fieldsort" subroutine. The first argument to make_fieldsort is a delimiter string, which is used as a regular expression argument for a "split" operator. The delimiter string is optional. If it is not supplied, make_fieldsort splits each line using "/s+/". The second argument is an array reference containing one or more field specifiers. The specifiers indicate what fields in the strings will be used to sort the data. The specifier "1" indicates the first field, "2" indicates the second, and so on. A negative specifier like "-2" means to sort on the second field in reverse (descending) order. To indicate a numeric rather than alphabetic comparison, append "n" to the specifier. A specifier of "0" means the entire string ("-0" means the entire string, in reverse order). The order in which the specifiers appear is the order in which they will be used to sort the data. The primary key is first, the secondary key is second, and so on. "fieldsort [1, 2], @data" is roughly equivalent to "make_fieldsort([1, 2])->(@data)". Avoid calling fieldsort repeatedly with the same sort specifiers. If you need to use a particular sort more than once, it is more efficient to call "make_fieldsort" once and reuse the subroutine it returns. "stable_fieldsort" and "make_stable_fieldsort" are like their "unstable" counterparts, except that the items that compare the same are maintained in their original order. EXAMPLES
Some sample data (in array @data): 123 asd 1.22 asdd 32 ewq 2.32 asdd 43 rewq 2.12 ewet 51 erwt 34.2 ewet 23 erww 4.21 ewet 91 fdgs 3.43 ewet 123 refs 3.22 asdd 123 refs 4.32 asdd # alpha sort on column 1 print fieldsort [1], @data; 123 asd 1.22 asdd 123 refs 3.22 asdd 123 refs 4.32 asdd 23 erww 4.21 ewet 32 ewq 2.32 asdd 43 rewq 2.12 ewet 51 erwt 34.2 ewet 91 fdgs 3.43 ewet # numeric sort on column 1 print fieldsort ['1n'], @data; 23 erww 4.21 ewet 32 ewq 2.32 asdd 43 rewq 2.12 ewet 51 erwt 34.2 ewet 91 fdgs 3.43 ewet 123 asd 1.22 asdd 123 refs 3.22 asdd 123 refs 4.32 asdd # reverse numeric sort on column 1 print fieldsort ['-1n'], @data; 123 asd 1.22 asdd 123 refs 3.22 asdd 123 refs 4.32 asdd 91 fdgs 3.43 ewet 51 erwt 34.2 ewet 43 rewq 2.12 ewet 32 ewq 2.32 asdd 23 erww 4.21 ewet # alpha sort on column 2, then alpha on entire line print fieldsort [2, 0], @data; 123 asd 1.22 asdd 51 erwt 34.2 ewet 23 erww 4.21 ewet 32 ewq 2.32 asdd 91 fdgs 3.43 ewet 123 refs 3.22 asdd 123 refs 4.32 asdd 43 rewq 2.12 ewet # alpha sort on column 4, then numeric on column 1, then reverse # numeric on column 3 print fieldsort [4, '1n', '-3n'], @data; 32 ewq 2.32 asdd 123 refs 4.32 asdd 123 refs 3.22 asdd 123 asd 1.22 asdd 23 erww 4.21 ewet 43 rewq 2.12 ewet 51 erwt 34.2 ewet 91 fdgs 3.43 ewet # now, splitting on either literal period or whitespace # sort numeric on column 4 (fractional part of decimals) then # numeric on column 3 (whole part of decimals) print fieldsort '(?:.|s+)', ['4n', '3n'], @data; 51 erwt 34.2 ewet 43 rewq 2.12 ewet 23 erww 4.21 ewet 123 asd 1.22 asdd 123 refs 3.22 asdd 32 ewq 2.32 asdd 123 refs 4.32 asdd 91 fdgs 3.43 ewet # alpha sort on column 4, then numeric on the entire line # NOTE: produces warnings under -w print fieldsort [4, '0n'], @data; 32 ewq 2.32 asdd 123 asd 1.22 asdd 123 refs 3.22 asdd 123 refs 4.32 asdd 23 erww 4.21 ewet 43 rewq 2.12 ewet 51 erwt 34.2 ewet 91 fdgs 3.43 ewet # stable alpha sort on column 4 (maintains original relative order # among items that compare the same) print stable_fieldsort [4], @data; 123 asd 1.22 asdd 32 ewq 2.32 asdd 123 refs 3.22 asdd 123 refs 4.32 asdd 43 rewq 2.12 ewet 51 erwt 34.2 ewet 23 erww 4.21 ewet 91 fdgs 3.43 ewet BUGS
Some rudimentary tests now. Perhaps something should be done to catch things like: fieldsort '.', [1, 2], @lines; '.' translates to "split /./" -- probably not what you want. Passing blank lines and/or lines containing the wrong kind of data (alphas instead of numbers) can result in copious warning messages under "-w". If the regexp contains memory parentheses ("(...)" rather than "(?:...)"), split will function in "delimiter retention" mode, capturing the contents of the parentheses as well as the stuff between the delimiters. I could imagine how this could be useful, but on the other hand I could also imagine how it could be confusing if encountered unexpectedly. Caveat sortor. Not really a bug, but if you are planning to sort a large text file, consider using sort(1). Unless, of course, your operating system doesn't have sort(1). AUTHOR
Joseph N. Hall, joseph@5sigma.com SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.8.8 2008-03-25 Fields(3pm)