Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Recursive file processing from a path and printing output in a file Post 302744551 by DGPickett on Friday 14th of December 2012 11:55:32 AM
Old 12-14-2012
Can we see the output?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Recursive file processing

I'm developing a generic script to catenate all files found in a given directory. The problem I've got is that the depth of the given directory is unknown, so I end up with some catenated directories. My unix isn't that hot and I'm at a loss. Heres an extract from the script cd $1 for i in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_mufasa
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing output into different files while processing file using AWK

Hi, I am trying to do the following using AWK program. 1. Read the input data file 2. Parse the record and see if it contains errors 3. If the record contains errors, then write it into Reject file, else, write into usual output file or display it on the screen Here is what I have done -... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidyak
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

processing an input file and then the output file

Hi. I am new to scripting and could really do with some advice on the best way to put a script together. Here is the scenario I am working to; - i will get files via ftp to a tmp directory on the server - all files will have a unique file name but with the same extension (.USM) - for each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yabai
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing the output of a db2 query on to an unix file

I want to print the output of a db2 query, on to an unix file in a manner that the columns are separated by 'commas'. Please help me out..thanx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasan_ven
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Take output of processing in text file

Hi ALL, I am presently using perl script mukesh.pl I just want to catch its output into another text file . So I am using > File.txt . I am getting output but i want the whole processing of the script into that file please let me know . Thanks in advance Cheers Mukesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - Rename output file, after processing, same as input file

I have one input file ABC.txt and one output DEF.txt. After the ABC is processed and created output, I want to rename ABC.txt to ABC.orig and DEF to ABC.txt. Currently when I am doing this, it does not process the input file as it cannot read and write to the same file. How can I achieve this? ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: High-T
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with printing output format from a file

Hi, I need help in printing data in below format from file extensions with .dml, i have listed details below file name is test_temp.dml, location in /home/users/test01/test_temp.dml file content: sample_type= record decimal(",") test_type; date("DD-MM-YYYY")(",") test_date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AAHinka
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with printing advance output format from a file

Hi, below 'awk' code was given for my thread 'Help with printing output format from a file ' earlier, however script is not resulting expected output with below file content. cat test_tes123.dml record string("\001") emp_num; /* CHAR(11) NOT NULL*/ date("YYYYMMDD")... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AAHinka
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing Terminal Output to a Error File

I am having a bash script which is basically invoking a python program to validate the Source Query results against the target query results. I am placing all the queries in a .sql file. I want to write to a Error log file incase if the syntax is wrong or if the column is not present in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronitreddy
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output path for file from search file

Hello Everyone, I am new to Unix and trying to learn as much as I can. But I do not need to create urgent scripts that I can use instantly. :(:( One of the scripts I am trying to write is essentially something that takes in a .txt file with product names. The product names are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UN007
3 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.41.11 March 2010 LOGSAVE(8)