Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris FTP log only shows FTP LOGIN FROM entry? Post 302743443 by Yeaboem on Wednesday 12th of December 2012 09:22:33 PM
Old 12-12-2012
Since no one else has taken a crack at answering for you, I'll try..

the logs you are viewing on "host A" are generated by the in.ftpd daemon/service. in.ftpd is reporting on inbound connections that it answers (connections come in on the port it is listening to). inftpd is not in any way associated with outbound connections from "host A". the outbound connections could be generated using many different tools.. not only the traditional 'ftp' program.

to log the outbound ftp connections would require some software very much like a software firewall that can intercept/inspect the outbound packets, searching for those that match the ftp protocol and report the src/dest for you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP login failing

Please help. I am running Solaris 8 trying to get my FTP to work. When I try to access the FTP server from another computer on the network, it connects and prompts for a password. The username and password I set up do not work as well as my root account. Neither of the accounts are set up in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zbis12
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP login problem

I've just configured a server to my network (setting the ip, netmask, host file, etc...) and the server doesn't have any problem pinging another computer on the network. however when i try to connect to the server via ftp the root account can't log in, i made another account (a standard one that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasalagua
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

limit non login id for ftp

Hi All, How can I limit a userid (/bin/false) to have access only to ftp service? On redhat ent 4. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP & login

Folks; Is there a way in UNIX to do the following: When users use FTP to login to a mounted drive on Solaris server, if that was their first time login a home directory for that user will be created & if the home directory exists it won't create a home directory (user should not have a login... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
6 Replies

5. Solaris

FTP login failed.

Hi guys, Can you please help me. I have SUN V100 server running solaris 8. I also have a Redhat Linux 6.2 machine and a windows XP machine on the network. I'm trying to copy files from the Linux and XP machines to the V100 server. When I try to ftp to the solaris machine, I'm challenged... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stin
2 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

FTP logfile shows strange activity at login

Has anyone seen or know what is causing this FTP log file line-item? 3 times when I successfully logged into FTP today, the log file shows a server response of a wrong password (530) to an IP address that is not mine... Below are FTP Log-file entries. I have removed my username & IP address: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bricolage
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script to login and list files to log file

Hi Guys I did a forum search for "ftp scripts" Looked at 8 pages and didnt see anything that would help. Most seem to be logging into a ftp server and transfering files. What I need to do is login to a FTP server. Goto a folder and list it so it showes newest files first. It would be nice to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: voorhees1979
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP that works correctly in command prompt and shows issue in UNIX server

Hi All, FTP ports opens with the given user name and password and allows to download file through COMMAND PROMPT. Code as below: H:\>ftp ftpxxxxx Connected to entvc2ft07-pub.xxxxx.com. 220 Microsoft FTP Service User (entvc2ft07-pub.xxxxx.com:(none)): userxxxxx 331 User name okay, need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijayalakshmi.r
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

I can't login to any new FTP accounts

I have a website that I use sftp to connect to the root account. I am able to connect to it with sftp root@domainHowever, when I create a new user, and try to login with this account, it says permission is denied. I have already checked with my provider, and tech support said they can login... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trevthefatty
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ftp login commands

Hello, I am using ftp on command line. The problem is getting bumped off after 15 minutes of no activity.. I have two options: quit ftp and use the command history of my shell, or stay in ftp and use 'open' command, where I can use the command history saved in the ftp program. Either option... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Allasso
1 Replies
REDIR(1)						      General Commands Manual							  REDIR(1)

NAME
redir - redirect tcp connections SYNOPSIS
redir [--laddr=incoming.ip.address] [--caddr=host] [--debug] [--syslog] [--name=str] [--timeout=n] [--bind_addr=my.other.ip.address] [--ftp=type] [--transproxy] [--connect=host:port] --lport=port --cport=port [--bufsize=n] [--max_bandwidth=n] [--random_wait=n] [--wait_in_out=n] redir --inetd [--caddr=host] [--debug] [--syslog] [--name=str] [--timeout=n] [--ftp=type] [--transproxy] [--connect=host:port] --cport=port [--bufsize=n] [--max_bandwidth=n] [--random_wait=n] [--wait_in_out=n] DESCRIPTION
Redir redirects tcp connections coming in to a local port to a specified address/port combination. It may be run either from inetd or as a standalone daemon. Depending on how redir was compiled, not all options may be available. OPTIONS
--lport Specifies port to listen for connections on (when not running from inetd) --laddr IP address to bind to when listening for connections (when not running from inetd) --cport Specifies port to connect to. --caddr Specifies remote host to connect to. (localhost if omitted) --inetd Run as a process started from inetd, with the connection passed as stdin and stdout on startup. --debug Write debug output to stderr or syslog. --name Specify program name to be used for TCP wrapper checks and syslog logging. --timeout Timeout and close the connection after n seconds of inactivity. --syslog Log information to syslog. --bind_addr Forces redir to pick a specific address/interface to bind to when it listens for incoming connections. --ftp When using redir for an FTP server, this will cause redir to also redirect ftp connections. Type should be specified as either "port", "pasv", or "both", to specify what type of FTP connection to handle. Note that --transproxy often makes one or the other (generally port) undesirable. --transproxy On a linux system with transparent proxying enabled, causes redir to make connections appear as if they had come from their true origin. (see /usr/share/doc/redir/transproxy.txt) --connect Redirects connections through an HTTP proxy which supports the CONNECT command. Specify the address and port of the proxy using --caddr and --cport. --connect requires the hostname and port which the HTTP proxy will be asked to connect to. --bufsize n Set the bufsize (defaut 4096) in bytes. Can be used combined with --max_bandwidth or --random_wait to simulate a slow con- nection. --max_bandwidth n Reduce the bandwidth to be no more than n bits/sec. The algorithme is basic, the goal is to simulate a slow connection, so there is no pic acceptance. --random_wait n Wait between 0 and 2 x n milliseconds before each "packet". A "packet" is a bloc of data read in one time by redir. A "packet" size is always less than the bufsize (see also --bufsize). --wait_in_out n Apply --max_bandwidth and --random_wait for input if n=1, output if n=2 and both if n=3. SEE ALSO
inetd(1) local REDIR(1)