Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sending Mail with Postfix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sending Mail with Postfix Post 302741399 by SkySmart on Saturday 8th of December 2012 03:08:55 PM
Old 12-08-2012
Sending Mail with Postfix

im able to install postfix on my ubuntu server. no issues. but ican't send mail.

i dont know what to put for the "relayhost". i've googled this endlessly but i'm clueless. isn't there a general smart host i can use that'll allow me to send?

i dont care for receiving mail. i just want to be able to send mail using the the unix "mail" command. any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail command woth Postfix

Hi, maybe someone could help me. This is the thing. I usually use the command "mail" on my scripts to send me info about the linux box, something like: df -k | mail -s "disk usage" lalala@lalala.com. This works fine in all the linuxes that sendmail is installed, but there is one with Postfix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

postfix sending but not recieving

Hi all, I just setup postfix on my server thats running Centos 5.x with webmin. Now I can send email out of the server but I cant receive email. Server side I can telnet into the 110 and 25 port but coming from the outside of the box I can only telnet into the 110 port but not port 25. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcraul
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Reg:Postfix Mail Server

We have a redhat enterprise linux 4 server.we have configured postfix as our MTA.squirrel mail as webmail and apache is configured for webserver.We configured outlook as mail client.The mail server is working and our users ae saving a copy of mail in the linux server.Our problem is whenever the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramjimh
0 Replies

4. Programming

Mail sending from VFP9 through internal postfix esmtp server.

hi all, please help me in this regard. I am VFP 9 programmer. I want to send the mail from within VFP 9 application. I have used CDO of microsoft which is working fine. however to be able to send the mail i have to setup the router gateway on user machine which enable him to surf through the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: choudharidl
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

postfix - reinject mail to postfix from hold queue directory

hi all. Am using smtpd_recipient_restrictions & check_recipient_access in postfix. The hash file looks like this: emailaddress1 HOLD emailaddress2 HOLD The aim is to place email from these recipients in the hold directory,check them then reinject them back in postfix on some... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Mail solution for Linux - Postfix

Hi , I am a complete newbie to linux, I have been given a job to install a mail solution (postfix if possible) I would like to know how should I go about installing..) Can any one provide me some steps to go about it.. i have read about postfix and the installation steps, it seems there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anilhk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop sending mail after certain number of mail

Hi guys... I am busy writing a script to notify me via an mail if my application is down. I have done that. Now I want this script to stop sending mails after five mails were sent but the script should keep on checking the application. When the application is up again that count should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
5 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Access denied when sending mail - postfix

i have configured mail server with postfix with dovecot with no encryption: When connecting with Thunderbird imap is working fine. when sending email from another domain to this domain again it is fine. but when i want to send mail frommy domain to another it gives me error and this is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Problems sending mail: Difference between Mail and Mailx?

Whats the difference between mail and mailx? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where I can send mail from server A with this `echo $MESSAGE | mail -s "$SUBJECT" -r $FROM $RECIPIENTS` command but executing the same command from server B throws me this error (Both servers are RHEL) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues sending emails using PostFix Mail Server

I'm unable to send email from my Linux server despite SMTP port 25 Active and Listening. # hostname TechX I checked the mail log ( /var/log/maillog ) and found the below error. I'm sharing all the ".cf" files seen in the error log. 1. # more /etc/postfix/main.cf # postfix... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
0 Replies
mhmail(1mh)															       mhmail(1mh)

Name
       mhmail - send or read mail

Syntax
       mhmail [ addrs ...  ] [ options ]

Description
       The program is intended as a replacement for the standard mail programs, and See and for more details of these mail programs.  When invoked
       without arguments, it simply invokes to incorporate new messages from the user's maildrop.  When one or more users is specified, a  message
       is  read  from  the  standard  input  and spooled to a temporary file.  then invokes with the name of the temporary file as its argument to
       deliver the message to the specified user.

Normally, people will use and to send messages.

Options
       -body text
		 Specifies the text of the message.  If it is specified, then the standard input is not read.

-cc addrs Specifies addresses to be placed in the cc: field of the message.

-from addr
		 Specifies the content of the From: header of the draft.  The address given is placed in the From:  field  of  the  message.   The
		 Sender: field is filled in correctly by

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options for this command.

-mts smtp Specifies  the  mail  system  over which mail is sent.  The only value allowed is smtp, which is the standard ULTRIX mail system.
		 Additional values are supported only for use with other mail systems.

-subject text
		 Provides the text of the Subject: field of the message.

Restrictions
       Messages with a null body part will not be sent by You must include some body text in all messages to be sent by

For this version, the -mts option only supports the value smtp.	Additional values are supported for use only with other mail systems.

Files
       Program to incorporate a maildrop into a folder.

Program to deliver a message.

Temporary copy of message.

See Also
       inc(1mh), post(8mh)

mhmail(1mh)