Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RHEL 6 plain telnet & ftp servers Post 302740593 by Corona688 on Thursday 6th of December 2012 11:27:08 AM
Old 12-06-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbatte1
I am being pushed from AIX onto RHEL 6 and after our first 'chuck it on' install, I have a problem. Where is the old (okay insecure) telnet & ftp server? I know that they are probably regarded as archaic now, but the source servers do not have the SSH tools, so I've got to somehow transfer the data.
Install the 'ftp' and 'telnet' packages for the commandline utilities, I think 'telnetd' for telnet server(unsure), and 'proftpd' for a pretty decent FTP server.

Maybe you have xinetd instead of inetd? Being a service wrapper, it's always been kind of optional -- I've personally never understood the use, some distros have it, some don't. On systems which don't, network daemons would just be system services.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

diable telnet & ftp

Hi All, I need to stop all the services for telnet & FTP as we want our server to be more secure. Please give me some steps for jumping to SSH protocol. How can i disable telnet & ftp service on my server. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeep_desh
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

telnet & ftp in linux AS4 with root account

hi, i installed linux as4, i need telnet and ftp with root account. anybody show me how to configure. TIA, Bong (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bong02
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

RHEL 4, simltaneous maximum ftp/telnet sessions allowed

Hi Users, Kindly help me with below query of mine. Using Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition as the client how many simultaneous 1) Maximum FTP sessions are allowed 2) Maximum Telnet sessions are allowed 3) any special settings need to be enabled for maximum telnet and ftp sessions on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie07
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RHEL 4, simltaneous maximum ftp/telnet sessions allowed

Hi Users, Kindly help me with below query of mine. Using Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition as the client how many simultaneous 1) Maximum FTP sessions are allowed 2) Maximum Telnet sessions are allowed 3) any special settings need to be enabled for maximum telnet and ftp sessions on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie07
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP script using .netrc to multiple FTP servers

Hi all, I'm using the following script to automated ftp files to 1 ftp servers host=192.168.0.1 /usr/bin/ftp -vi >> $bkplog 2>&1 <<ftp open $host bin cd ${directory} put $files quit ftp and the .netrc file contain machine 192.168.0.1 login abc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

cfengine / puppet for rhel servers

Hello all, I am planning to deploy a configuration / auditing software package for about 100 new nodes that we are planning to install. I am hearing many good things in regards to cfengine and puppet. Can someone shed some light in regards to these solutions? Thanks, jaysunn (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

cannot ssh (use NFS) on RHEL box, but can mount external & ssh out of RHEL box

Ok, Im trying to get NFS working on my RHEL 5 box, apparently i can use the box as a client, but not as a server. If it helps i cant ssh into the box (server), but as a client ssh works fine. Ive configured server: /etc/hosts.allow: all : all all :all@all setup my /etc/exports file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drs.grid
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

RHEL 7.1 autofs permissions do not match NFS servers

RHEL 7.1 client using autofs to mount a NIS map of home directories being exported by a Solaris 10x86 nfs server. The owner and group are correct on the NFS server, but on the RHEL client, the owner and group end up being nobody nobody. The USERS and GROUPS are NIS maps as well. They are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash - here document on RHEL 6.8 and 6.9 servers aren't working

H Forum, I was thankful in getting help from this post that allowed me to connect to multiple severs at once using here documents to gather data into variables. But I've discovered that the same bash command that works on my RHEL 7 servers do not work on RHEL 6? What's strange about my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
4 Replies
ftp(4)								   File Formats 							    ftp(4)

NAME
ftp - FTP client configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/ftp DESCRIPTION
Use the ftp file to configure the behavior of the FTP client. Lines that begin with a hash symbol ("# ") are treated as comment lines and are ignored. Behavior Directives The ftp file supports the following behavior directives: FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST=yes | no The ls command of the ftp client sends an NLST to the FTP Server by default. Several non-Solaris clients send LIST instead. In order to make the Solaris ftp client send LIST when the ls command is issued, set FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST to no. The value of FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST is yes by default. If the user sets a value for FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST in the user's environment, this value will override any FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST directive that is specified in /etc/default/ftp. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbipr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftp(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Oct 2002 ftp(4)