Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating conditional symlink
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Creating conditional symlink Post 302739005 by Corona688 on Monday 3rd of December 2012 10:14:42 AM
Old 12-03-2012
A symlink points to a file. It can't do anything else.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a script using the case conditional

hello, i am a newbie who is just starting to use liunx, and I need to accept a string from the terminal and use case to echo a suitable message if the string doesn't have at least 10 characters. Also, how would I do the same thing using expr? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerstr1
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating conditional logs

Hi all, I am new to scripting and hope to get help in this forum...we use autosys ... the jil files call shell scripts (korn shell) for automated processes and create logs everytime they are run...the process runs every 5 mins which is creating huge logs...i need to know if logs be created... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonali007
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating symlink

hi... I have a folder<abc> under /root folder. I want to create a symlink such that when i click on folder<abc> under root, should display my home folder (home/krish). Immediate inputs appreciated..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama.honge
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -i destroy symlink - how to solve this ?

After a few hours of frustration because I didn't understand why my symlinks are destroyed i just found out that sed -i will destroy symlinks. I searched but i didn't found any good solution for this. Is there any way to overcome this ? On my ubuntu server sed version is 4.1.5 edit: Sorry... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktm
0 Replies

5. Solaris

symlink on link file

Hi all, I want to create a symlink on a link file, i mean, there is a file which is actually a symlink of some version. Now i want to create one more symlink on that link file. EX: there is a file: uat -> version prod -> version Now i want to create one more link on these 'uat' and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ln -s creates symlink in symlink, if [ -f ... ] says file that exists doesn't exist

Hi Forums, I got a little problem, I made a few modifications to the code of the launch script of a testing server(minecraft) and now updating is broken aswell as the automatic directory creation. These Lines somehow create an endless symlink that refers to itself and I don't know how to fix... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xaymar
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove symlink and target

i would like to remove a directory and also symlink target inside. my_directory -- file1 -> /targetpath/file1 -- file2 -> /targetpath/file2 rm -rf my_directory will not remove symlink target. rm -rf "`readlink -f file1`" will only remove target if specifying the symlink is specified ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symlink creation

I am trying to setup my plex server to use symlinks rather than host the movie files. in my storage directory, i have both movies(some in subdirectory of the name and some just in the parent directory) and tvshows, which have subdirectories for each season, which contains the episodes i would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bandion
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Symlink

I know how to create a symlink but I am getting an error message that the file already exists. Also, my symlink doesn't point from target directory to the path correctly, Here is an example of the path to my folder structure path: cd /wkspce/wff/DEV/jobs/DEL the folder structure is: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create symlink for latest file only?

Hello, On Solaris 10, here are entries for logs in httpd.conf ErrorLog "|/export/apache/apache-2.2.17/bin/rotatelogs -l -f /var/log/apache/error_log.%Y%m%d 86400" It keeps creating daily logs with below names - -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1016747232 Apr 5 23:59... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
16 Replies
LCHOWN(3)								 1								 LCHOWN(3)

lchown - Changes user ownership of symlink

SYNOPSIS
bool lchown (string $filename, mixed $user) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to change the owner of the symlink $filename to user $user. Only the superuser may change the owner of a symlink. PARAMETERS
o $filename - Path to the file. o $user - User name or number. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Changing the owner of a symbolic link <?php $target = 'output.php'; $link = 'output.html'; symlink($target, $link); lchown($link, 8); ?> NOTES
Note This function will not work on remote files as the file to be examined must be accessible via the server's filesystem. Note When safe mode is enabled, PHP checks whether the files or directories being operated upon have the same UID (owner) as the script that is being executed. Note This function is not implemented on Windows platforms. SEE ALSO
chown(3), lchgrp(3), chgrp(3), chmod(3). PHP Documentation Group LCHOWN(3)