Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script executing both the conditions. Post 302735905 by arijitsaha on Monday 26th of November 2012 11:00:24 AM
Old 11-26-2012
Shell script executing both the conditions.

I have written this script. This is used for creating a backup folder.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#set -x
. /home/.profile
usage="Usage is $0"
usage="$usage [-b <dir>]"
# Use the getopt utility to set up the command line flags.
set -- `/usr/bin/getopt b: $*`
# Process individual command line arguments
while [ $1 != -- ]; do
  case $1 in
    -b)  dir=$2
         shift
         ;;
    esac
  shift
done
MYSQLBACKUP=`which mysqlbackup`
if [ "$backup_dir" == "" ];then
datedir=`date +"%Y%m%d"`
backupdir=/home/back
$MYSQLBACKUP --defaults-file=$INSTANCE_HOME/my.cnf --backup-dir=$backupdir/$datedir --compress backup
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
   start_lsn=`grep -E 'start_lsn' variables.txt`
   end_lsn=`grep -E 'end_lsn' variables.txt`
         exit 1
else
   echo " [`date +%Y\-%m\-%d\ %H\:%M\:%S`] [ERROR] Backup Failed. Please check"
   echo "backup failed." |mailx -s "full backup failed." abc.com 
fi
fi

The problem is that even when the command is executing without any error it is pring the commands in the success block (when if is true) but it is also printing the commands in the unsuccessfull block (else condition) too.
any suggestions?Smilie

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code and data. It was not that difficult to follow the rules you accepted, but refused to comply with after many warnings...

Last edited by vbe; 11-26-2012 at 12:27 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell script is not executing

Hi, I am trying to execute the below shell script: script name(ss1). ss1 was given permission - 744 before executing. name: ss1 #ss1 #usage:ss1 ls who pwd :wq I tried to execute $ss1 (Enter) Its not executing.... It says that ss1 is not found: echo $SHELL. The o/put i got is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a Shell Script

I am trying to run a shell script using the ./<ScriptName> command, but the server returns an error bash: ./Script1.sh: Permission denied What variable do I need to set to avoid this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Use Multiple if Conditions in Shell script

if -o ] then echo "Expected valid value" The above multiple if condition is NOT working in my script. I am getting the error as '-a' not expected. Can anyone help with the syntax for this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple if conditions and EOF in a shell script

I want to create an IF condition with multiple condition, in the statement below I want to add OR EOF, can any one please advise how to do. if } != $sample ] && ; then echo ..... fi code tags please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: analyst
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a shell script

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/tme-0.8/bus/multibus:~/tme-0.8/bus/sbus:~/tme-0.8/dist/softfloat/softfloat/bits32:~/tme-0.8/dist/softfloat/softfloat/bits64:~/tme-0.8/generic:~/tme-0.8/host/bsd:~/tme-0.8/host/gtk:~/tme-0.8/host/posix:~/tme-0.8/ic:~/tme-0.8/ic/ieee754:~/tme-0.8/ic/m68k:~/tme-0.8/ic/sparc:~/tme-0.8/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucky7456969
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a shell script using sh

Platform : Solaris 10, RHEL 5.4, OEL 6 I've noticed that some of my colleagues execute scripts by typing sh before the script name sh myscript.shI always execute a script by typing the script name and typing enter provided PATH variable has . (current directory) in it myscript.sh (and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: John K
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to extract data from csv file based on certain conditions

Hi Guys, I am new to shell script.I need your help to write a shell script. I need to write a shell script to extract data from a .csv file where columns are ',' separated. The file has 5 columns having values say column 1,column 2.....column 5 as below along with their valuesm.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why we use -f while executing any shell script?

Hi All, I wanted to know why we use the '-f' option while executing script. in my case... abcd.sh -f any_evts 02 2014 abcd = Scriptname -f = dont know any_evts = Some file or string 02= month 2014 = year So in above pleas ehelp to understand here -f and other arguement like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajju
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use SQL Hard Code Conditions in UNIX Shell Script?

Hi All, I am trying to place one SQL query in Shell Script with Where Condition as Status='1' But after running the the script it is returning error as SQL0206N "1" is not valid in the context where it is used. SQLSTATE=42703 The query is working fine in Data Base. Please suggest... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumanmca2006
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Executing if dynamic conditions in awk

Hi All, I got struck at the below point where i am unable to get the desired output after forming the dynamic conditions.Below is the design. 1. We are getting inputs from the shell arguments and storing in a variable like below. CONDITIONS="1=CT,2=US_10,3=CT_US_10" 2. After this i am... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
14 Replies
nisbackup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisbackup(1M)

NAME
nisbackup - backup NIS+ directories SYNOPSIS
nisbackup [-v] backup-dir directory... nisbackup [-v] -a backup-dir DESCRIPTION
nisbackup backs up a NIS+ directory object on a NIS+ master server. Updates to the NIS+ database will be temporarily disabled while nis- backup is running. The backup-dir is a UNIX directory that must exist prior to running nisbackup. The nisbackup command can be used to backup an individual NIS+ directory object or all ( -a) of the NIS+ directory objects served by a master server. The NIS+ directory objects being backed up will be placed into subdirectories under the backup-dir directory. These subdirectories are named according to the NIS+ directory object they contain. nisbackup operates on individual NIS+ directory objects (for example, org_dir.wiz.com). This allows an administrator to selectively backup specific directories. The rpc.nisd(1M) process must be running on the master server with a stable NIS+ database for nisbackup to complete. nisbackup will not attempt to correct any corruption in the NIS+ database, so it is important that backups be done regularly as part of the NIS+ administra- tion. The first synopsis is used to backup a single NIS+ directory object or a list of NIS+ directory objects. The objects can be partially qual- ified or fully qualified. The machine on which the command is executing must be the master for the NIS+ directory objects specified. The second synopsis will backup all of the NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. The -a option is the recommended method of backing up a master server, since it will backup all NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. If this server is a master server for more than one domain, the backup will include NIS+ directories that belong to all of the domains served. Individual NIS+ direc- tory objects can be selected for restoring from a backup-dir created with the -a option. See nisrestore(1M). The -a option only includes directory objects for which this server is the master. It is possible, but not recommended, to configure a master server as a replica for other domains. The objects belonging to those replicated domains will not be backed up with the -a option. The backup of replicated objects must be run on the master server for those objects. Do not use the same backup-dir to backup different master servers. Each master server must have its own backup-dir. nisbackup will set the rpc.nisd(1M) to read only mode, which will disable updates to the NIS+ database. This is neccessary to ensure the consistency of the backup. For this reason, nisbackup should not be run while large numbers of updates are being applied to the NIS+ data- base. Update utilities such as nisaddent(1M) should not be run simultaneously with nisbackup. OPTIONS
-a Creates a backup of all NIS+ directory objects for which this server is a master. -v Verbose option. Additional output will be produced and sent to syslog(3C) upon execution of the command (see syslog.conf(4)). OPERANDS
backup-dir The directory into which the subdirectories containing the backed up objects are placed. This must be created prior to running nisbackup. directory The NIS+ directory object(s) being backed up. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Backup of the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup To backup the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup org_dir.foo.com. Example 2: Backup of the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup To backup the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup foo.com. org_dir.foo.com. groups_dir.foo.com. ctx_dir.foo.com. Example 3: Backup of an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup To backup an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup -a /backup EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/backup-dir/backup_list This ascii file contains a list of all the objects contained in this backup-dir directory. /backup-dir/directory-object A subdirectory that is created in the backup-dir that contains the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/data A subdirectory that contains the data files that are part of the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/last.upd This data file contains timestamp information about the directory-object. /backup-dir/directory-object/data.dict A NIS+ data dictionary for all of the objects contained in the NIS+ directory-object backup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisdefaults(1), nisrm(1), nisrestore(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), syslog(3C), nisfiles(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nisbackup(1M)