Sponsored Content
Top Forums Web Development Help me in automating the recycling of UNIX server Post 302735465 by Sanaa on Sunday 25th of November 2012 08:07:43 AM
Old 11-25-2012
Help me in automating the recycling of UNIX server

Hello everyone...I am very new to UNIX hence needs your help in below.

i have written a script to change some configuration in property files and its working fine.but to reflect that change at the application i want to recycle WAS and ihs.i.e. run below start and stop commands at /usr/local/bin
./stop_was6 once it gets over ./start_was6 similarly ./stop_was6 followed by start_ihs

COuld you please help me in automating this.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: please make sure you post to the correct forum next time. Further, please document more clearly your environment. From what you write i suppose you have a "WebSphere Application Server", which is middleware from IBM, but I am not at all sure about that. You might want to clarify.

Transferring the thread to Web Development Forum

---------- Post updated at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:42 AM ----------

I am working in unix environment and sorry as i am not getting option for changing the forum and my goal is write a shell script to recycle the server.as i already have other script for some task in shell and wants to append this shell script with the previous one.

Last edited by bakunin; 11-25-2012 at 09:02 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Automating Database scripts in UNIX

Hi everybody, can someone please suggest me how to implement the running of SQL table scripts(.sql) at a specific time automatically in UNIX ?Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: konquistador
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hi everybody, can someone please suggest me how to implement the running of SQL table scripts(.sql) at a specific time automatically in UNIX ?Thanks (0 Replies)
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi everybody, can someone please suggest me how to implement the running of SQL table scripts(.sql) at a specific time automatically in UNIX ?Thanks (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automating UNIX backups?

Hi all, I'm quite limited in UNIX unfortunately for me, and need to find a solution to something thats giving me headaches every morning. We need to make daily backups of a server we have in the office every morning, as well as then FTPing the created backup files over to a specific FTP address... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: de049
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripts for automating server inventory for unix servers

Dear Team, I am very new to shell scripting & and presently monitoring unix boxes I am looking for a shell script which will give me the below output script should contain - hostname,OS Version,CPU details, Physical Memory, Partitions Details, Network Details and Software Installed,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Module for log recycling

hi......... can anyone suggest me how n where can i find the module used for recycling logs in Unix(some .so file is used i suppose).till date i have done it with scripting but maintaining the script is becoming difficult. many2 thanx in advance -manuj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manuj upadhyay
2 Replies

7. AIX

AIX PID Recycling

Had a bizzare problem last night with one of our tools running on an AIX server that has not come up before. The tool has been in use for over a year without this problem showing up.The tool basically does this: -Kick off a background task and record the PIDGo and do a bunch of other taskswait for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating file transfer between two SSH enabled server.

Hi Experts, Few more words to the title, both the servers are ssh enabled but I have read only access to the second server, so I cannot automate SFTP process using RSA/DSA keys. I am using Control M to trigger the script and do not want any manual intervention to enter the password to complete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nchourasiya
4 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Need help with automating a python script on a Windows server

Experience level with scripting (1-10 scale): 1-2....still learning!!! I've got a python script that calls on an API to gather information from a ticketing system. This script is used to track time worked on tickets. My boss is wanting that script to be run once a week. The script runs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuscanitunr
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automating UNIX/Solaris password resets

Hi, we are running solaris 5.10 and looking for solutions to automate password resets? Plz assist. Thanks, Sridhar (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chvgms
6 Replies
MOD-ACTIVE(8)						    InterNetNews Documentation						     MOD-ACTIVE(8)

NAME
mod-active - Batch processing of newsgroups creation and removal commands SYNOPSIS
mod-active [ctlinnd-command-file ...] DESCRIPTION
mod-active is a Perl script that updates the active file based on its input lines of ctlinnd "newgroup", "rmgroup" and "changegroup" commands. It pauses the server briefly while the existing active file is read and rewritten, which not only keeps innd from updating the active file but also locks against other instances of mod-active. The script must be run as the news user. The input to mod-active can come either from one or more ctlinnd-command-file files named on the command line, or from the standard input. Typically its input is the output from the docheckgroups or actsync commands. Every line which contains the string "ctlinnd newgroup", "ctlinnd rmgroup", or "ctlinnd changegroup", optionally preceded by whitespace and/or the path to ctlinnd, is noted for the update. Redundant commands, such as a newgroup directive for a group that already exists, are silently ignored. All other lines in the input are also silently ignored. After the new active file has been generated, the existing one is renamed to active.old and the new one is moved into place. The script then displays the differences between the two files. Any groups that were added to the active file are also added to the active.times file with the string "checkgroups-update". Please note that no syntax checking is performed on group names by mod-active. BUGS
Though innd is paused while mod-active works, it is not inconceivable that there could be a conflict if something else tries to update the active file during the relatively short time that mod-active is working. The two most realistic ways for this to happen are either by an administrator concurrently doing a manual ctlinnd command, or by innd receiving a control message, then mod-active pausing the server, then the control message handler script that innd forked running its own ctlinnd command while mod-active is working. Note that such scenarios are very unlikely to happen. HISTORY
Written by David C Lawrence <tale@isc.org> for InterNetNews. Converted to POD by Julien Elie. SEE ALSO
active(5), active.times(5), actsync(8), ctlinnd(8), docheckgroups(8), innd(8). INN 2.5.2 2009-05-21 MOD-ACTIVE(8)